GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Exhaust Comparisons - AWE (Track and Touring) / Magnaflow catback / APR downpipe

Navi

Autocross Champion
nice comparisons. So I'm running the AWE downpipe with AWE track exhaust and thinking about doing the track to touring conversion. Seems like you're saying it doesn't sound that good? In your cold start clip it sounds decent but in the post you just posted, it does sound kind of weird. That trumpet sound is off putting. I wonder if it will sound different with the AWE downpipe instead of the APR one. I can't imagine it would be much different.

kDizz781

Ready to race!
nice comparisons. So I'm running the AWE downpipe with AWE track exhaust and thinking about doing the track to touring conversion. Seems like you're saying it doesn't sound that good? In your cold start clip it sounds decent but in the post you just posted, it does sound kind of weird. That trumpet sound is off putting. I wonder if it will sound different with the AWE downpipe instead of the APR one. I can't imagine it would be much different.

Let me clarify a little. I think it sounded good 95% of the time. For me, I didn't like the sound at WOT, mostly in 2nd gear, once I hit boost... For me, it sounded too "honda ricey fart can". I personally preferred the track catback at WOT better. There are a ton of people who like the sound of that setup though. There is a chance that a different downpipe could produce a different sound, especially since the cats will vary from the APR to the AWE DP.

I guess if I could have combined the WOT of tack catback, with everything else from the APR DP + Touring, it would have been perfect

Last edited:

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the nice informative post. Although, I'm still finding many exhaust videos to be confounding. To my ear at least, your two awe touring catback + DP videos sound strikingly different, with the second video sounding deeper in tone. Also, in the first awe touring catback + DP video, the sound of the DP is more noticeable.

Also, thanks for the "trumpet" video. I've often heard this description but didn't know exactly what it sounded like.

kDizz781

Ready to race!
Thank you for the informative post. Based on this, I have just purchased an AWE Track Catback system. Can't wait to put it on.

Glad it helped, The AWE track catback is a quality system.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
nice rundown of the exhaust options. Thanks. I went neuspeed DP and stock catback. I am very happy with the sound increase. No drone and it sounds great at WOT. if a person is looking for a minor bump in volume most of the time with no drone, a DP with stock catback is a nice option. plus you get the HP increase at higher RPM.

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Just installed mine from stock dp with AWE Touring to APR dp with AWE Touring. I do understand of the WOT sound but I think is a deeper growl not as trumpet like but each to their own

This morning was my first day of commuting with this setup and I spend about 45mins to about an hour and 15mins each way to work so I needed a setup with sporty sound but also bearable during my commute.

At the moment, my wife, which commutes with me didn't notice too much of the setup (since I didn't tell her). Also I do have few stretch of uphills and downhills so the down shift sound is much louder yet still bearable.

But the most important part as kDizz781 said no droning at highway speed. I was doing 70-80 mph at 2-25k RPM with no droning while my wife sleeps through the ride. So far I'm happy with this setup but will make my final decision once the weather is warmer with my windows down.

Here is my video of the before and after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7nn94z9Ozg

Last edited:

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
I'm not a fan of the sound that comes from cast. It's sounds cheap to me. Still have yet to put a DP on with my AWE exhaust but it will certainly be stainless. Thanks for sharing OP!

kDizz781

Ready to race!
I'm not a fan of the sound that comes from cast. It's sounds cheap to me. Still have yet to put a DP on with my AWE exhaust but it will certainly be stainless. Thanks for sharing OP!

I don't understand APR's recent obsession with cast...heavy and pointless

I agree that cast is heavy, but the quality of the APR downpipe VS another "hand made" downpipe that is popular on this forum is not even close. I have pictures to show it. I would take the APR downpipe 10 times out of 10.

Yes, it is over priced.
No it does not provide more power than another DP
BUT there is something to be said for their quality and perfect fitment

IMO of course

Last edited:

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I agree that cast is heavy, but the quality of the APR downpipe VS another "hand made" downpipe that is popular on this forum is not even close. I have pictures to show it. I would take the APR downpipe 10 times out of 10.

Yes, it is over priced.
No it does not provide more power that another DP

IMO of course

AWE catted and resonated DP is equally good quality if not better, with no CEL guarantee.

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Car(s)

Yes, it is over priced.
No it does not provide more power that another DP

IMO of course

I concur.

kDizz781

Ready to race!
AWE catted and resonated DP is equally good quality if not better, with no CEL guarantee.

Agreed that AWE stuff is top notch, I don't have experience with their DP but their exhausts are great :cool: