GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alcantara steering wheel cover

radoroc

Ready to race!
I've been trying to find an alcantara steering wheel cover without any success. There's plently of leather ones, but I don't want that.

XuJi doesn't list any, I've searched ebay, aliexpress, amazon and general web searches. I have only found 1 on ebay with a ridiculous price. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Organic-Alca...ash=item3f7621d9c3:g:SeUAAOSw32lYrP8a&vxp=mtr

Does anyone know of any, and that are decently priced?

Last edited:

typhoonegator

Has anyone compared this Auto-Interior-Technic wrap with the Xuji one people keep buying on Vortex? The advertising on the AIT site seems to suggest that their quality is better than "other companies" but it would be nice to hear a direct comparison. The prices are pretty similar...

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I haven't seen both yet, but images of the xuji ones have not impressed me. The AIT one requires more work to install as you do full lacing with the baseball stitch whereas the xuji comes partially laced, with you basically having to do a running stitch through the existing thread. I've been pleased with the quality and how it's held up thus far.

2017-01-18 13.12.06
by VA Sprinks, on Flickr

*edit* here's a link to one of the xuji threads in the cosmetic mods section: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9017&page=2

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Alcantara is nice, but for something like a steering wheel, durable it ain't. (I have one on my M3.) Same for Ultrasuede - both are brands of generally similar microfiber product.

Neil

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Yep, it does wear. Personally, i planned for this as a regular change-out every few years or as necessary and why i bought AIT ultrasuede as opposed to who-knows-what with xuji. Different strokes and all that.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The GTI Clubsport model in the U.K. has an alcantara-wrapped steering wheel and some owners are noticing signs of premature wear after just a few months and a few thousand miles ownership.

parallax

Ready to race!
I haven't seen both yet, but images of the xuji ones have not impressed me. The AIT one requires more work to install as you do full lacing with the baseball stitch whereas the xuji comes partially laced, with you basically having to do a running stitch through the existing thread. I've been pleased with the quality and how it's held up thus far.

2017-01-18 13.12.06
by VA Sprinks, on Flickr

*edit* here's a link to one of the xuji threads in the cosmetic mods section: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9017&page=2

This looks good. I've seen some very poor Xuji wraps, and some VERY clean Xuji installs. This tells me that installation has a huge impact on whether or not it looks like a quality piece or cheap. Are you able to confirm whether or not the AIT really is that much different from the Xuji?

SRoads

Ready to race!
It's funny how alcantara "feels" premium to people, when in reality...it is one of the cheapest materials on the planet and usually wears very quickly.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
It's funny how alcantara "feels" premium to people, when in reality...it is one of the cheapest materials on the planet and usually wears very quickly.

X2

I'll also add that the words piano black have just become a fancy term for shiny, hard plastic.

Last edited:

ec2k1gt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 Onyx White Golf R

I picked up a Mewant from AliExpress its held up great so far.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I picked up a Mewant from AliExpress its held up great so far.

I have the same one (except with blue stitching) and i've had to for 3 months so far with no wear. I liked it a lot more than i thought i would.

It's really nice in the winter.