GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just a personal observation...(RIMS)

AKF427

Ready to race!
No question the 7.5 GTI's/R posses nice upgrades that many of us would appreciate/desire.

Thankfully, in my opinion, none are substantial enough to justify an upgrade.

I find one "change" confusing...or is it not a "change", but the direction VW is going in?

The "change"? The standard Austin rims on the 7.5 are far more pronounced w/ that fluid/stopped "in motion design". On the 7.0 Austin's the rims were blacked out enough to make the overall design more subtle.

The problem is that on the passenger side, the rims appear----at least to my eye---to look like they're "backwards". Anybody?

I bought 19" Santiago Rims & swapped the Austin's (pain in the ass...found them in Canada, VW Toronto City CENTER, etc-etc-etc)...it was personal taste...but I'm gonna use the Austin's for winter/ winter tires. I forget the name of the other rims I was looking at--- (Google: 18" 2016 GOLF GTI CLUBSPORT STYLE BLACK WHEELS RIMS)---but I was told that they look backward on the pax side, and from that moment forward..."I always see what I was told" (Sorta like knowing an forward arrow is embedded in the Fed Ex logo, you always see it after you know about it)

VW seems to be, again my opinion, going kinda overkill silly on the OEM rims, and the designs---like the new 7.5 Austin's just "ain't got" continuity on all four wheels. Agree? Disagree?

(Note...off topic, I'm having the failed window switch on my car replaced under warranty, I have a Jetta Loaner...after you don't have push button start for awhile, I keep taking the key & forgetting to hit the push start button, press "lock" while walking away and the engine is still running...I think this is why I always rent cheap ass cars when traveling...push button is a decent feature, my Wife's Q7 has it....but if you don't got it, and then you got it for a few days, it's a mess....at least for a reta** such as myself).

micah1

But if they were truly directional then rotating the tires would be limited to front to back (and vice versa) on the respective sides. Or you'd have to unmount/remount tires to get the standard rotation.

My wife's car has staggered wheels and it cuts the life of the tires in half.

So although I wished the matched on both sides that's at least one small thought on why it'd suck if they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDavis7M

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same thought about the Austins. If the wheels had right/left orientations, you could be consistent on both sides (front or rear facing "saw") after tire rotations.

AKF427

Ready to race!
I had the same thought about the Austins. If the wheels had right/left orientations, you could be consistent on both sides (front or rear facing "saw") after tire rotations.

Ya. I think the Austin's look good---a lot of ppl don't like them---but for 7.5 the "orientation" (good word for it!!) is a lot more "severe". To my eyes, it's looks great on one side and dopey on the other. I don't think rotating the rims is meaningful, but it would make rotating the tires a drag because the rims would have to remain on the side they're orientated for. Also...I don't see any other manufacturers---except for some rip off's---making the rims look like this.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
VW are actually doing you a favour with wheel design like Austins etc.

One side of the car looks cool going forward, the other side looks cool reversing.:rolleyes:

AKF427

Ready to race!
VW are actually doing you a favour with wheel design like Austins etc.

One side of the car looks cool going forward, the other side looks cool reversing.:rolleyes:

And....a Winner!!!!! Click on my profile & then "albums" I think....we have very simmiliar tastes based off your thumbnail! (I still have no clue how to upload a photo)

mkygod

Ready to race!
I dunno, to me, they both look equally good on each side (or equally bad, depending on your tastes)

AKF427

Ready to race!
@mygod

Excellent photos, thanks! I think they're good looking rims...but...the pax side still looks like it's milling forward.