GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got into a car accident after 1 month

got quoted around 9k for repairs; i guess they'd rather cough that up than deem a total loss, id much rather prefer a new car tho haha

I just learned after rear ending someone in my truck, (and my wife who just recently got a job with geico), that unless the value of the repairs exceeds the value of the car, they wont total out a car. Just an FYI for you guys.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
OP, watch out for Gieco. They will screw you over. I'm still going back and forth with them from an accident in January. Their client was totally at fault. Initially they said $3700 to fix my car, then when the body shop,really looked at it they said $9000. They offered me $8000 for my truck and I took it. That part was ok. But I still haven't been paid for my lost wages and doctors bills. I hate how everyone these days runs to a lawyer, but if I'm ever in an accident again that's the first thing I'm going to do. Just my $.02

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Oh and don't let them handle the work for you, total BS scam. Get your own body shop and estimates. Keep control of the process. It's more work but you'll get it fixed to your liking not theirs.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
OP, watch out for Gieco. They will screw you over. I'm still going back and forth with them from an accident in January. Their client was totally at fault. Initially they said $3700 to fix my car, then when the body shop,really looked at it they said $9000. They offered me $8000 for my truck and I took it. That part was ok. But I still haven't been paid for my lost wages and doctors bills. I hate how everyone these days runs to a lawyer, but if I'm ever in an accident again that's the first thing I'm going to do. Just my $.02

Getting a lawyer doesn't help when the kid that hit you has no insurance and now has a warrant out for not showing up for his court date.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Geico will always try and get out cheaply, my MK5 was hit 1 month after I got it and they only offered me $1500 to fix it using non-oem panels. Using oem stuff the body shop said it would be $5000. I fought but they wouldn't budge, ended up costing me in the end. Similar thing happened with my motorcycle when I was hit, they offered $2000 but it ended up costing around $4400.

After two instances like that, I was fed up.

AKF427

Ready to race!
makes sense, less than one month old :(

Ya, that sucks. I'ts literally impossible to have 1 month old car "totaled" by an insurer---unless it gets sandwiched & catches fire.

This is the stuff for actuaries. If repair is less than the actual car value, insurance companies can opt to repair versus "total". Generally though, if repairs are 75% the actual value of the car...a good insurance company will total the car. Let's just suppose it comes to $15K all-in for the repair...that's not even close to the actual one-month ownership value of your car.

Who is your Insurance company? I had a commuter CPO'd Hyundai (No, "industrial glue" is not the same as welding!!!) & was hit. I forget who his insurance company was, but after I realized they wanted to "duel" with me...I just contacted USAA (my insurer) & had them deal with it. Generally, when you're not at fault, it's not a great idea to let your insurance company know of an accident because every "incident" is noted. But, USAA doesn't penalize & I got a very clean (knocking on wood) driving record. As for the shop---no way in F'ing Hell do you let Geico decide (I think you in your OP you said you took it to the shop you wanted).

theohdolphillus

Passed Driver's Ed
since everyone is saying 9k is low, here's the actual estimate.

subtotal is only 6.5k in parts, and 9k after labour is added.

I noticed they didn't include anything about replacing the radiator( only radiator support), or the intercooler. Gave my body shop a call this morning, and I'm planning on meeting with him to talk about inspecting for these issues.

Thanks for the help guys; does the pricing seem normal?

Last edited:

theohdolphillus

Passed Driver's Ed
Geico will always try and get out cheaply, my MK5 was hit 1 month after I got it and they only offered me $1500 to fix it using non-oem panels. Using oem stuff the body shop said it would be $5000. I fought but they wouldn't budge, ended up costing me in the end.

Geico refused to fix your car using OEM parts? Mind me asking what excuse they gave you as to why they would only give you $1500?

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Geico refused to fix your car using OEM parts? Mind me asking what excuse they gave you as to why they would only give you $1500?

They claimed that they didn't use OEM parts if there was a 3rd party part available for cost reasons and because they determined that 3rd party parts were acceptable in quality most of the time.

The story of the accident is this: I was driving on the highway in the right lane and an excursion was in the passing lane and decided he didn't see me so he tried to merge directly into me. Hit every panel on my drivers side, front fender got it the worst. Originally they didn't want to repaint anything (beyond fender), just pull the dents, and replace the fender with a non-oem piece. To them it was $1,500. I ended up fighting it for a while before they just stopped talking to me, and paying the rest out of pocket to have everything fixed as well as possible.

This was 10 years ago, so I don't remember exactly what their quote said vs what I had done, but I do remember getting a check for $1,500 from them.

MilesToEmpty

Ready to race!
Didnt read the whole thing...

Car is still considered new, happened to me too 1 month after owning. I demanded the insurance company supply NEW OEM parts and gave hard facts. <30 days old, 1500miles, etc.

As for inusrance, my buddy works in a body shop and showed us a car Geiko had provided them to use for parts for another car. I cant remember what it was, but Geiko literally bought half a junked car for them to cut the parts out of. Request to take it to a shop you want.

We have had 2 accidents in 6 months, not at fault, and both time we took it to different shops that we picked out.

And for the diminished value, some states do it some don't. I was able to get $1500 for getting rear ended, and then argued nicely for another $380. You can wait till the car is in the shop, and even after its fixed. Just dont close your claim until you have it.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Seems to be a few guys stating that they had bad instances with Geico. I had an excellent instance with them last month when my first mk7 GTi was totalled.

I met the adjuster in under 24 hours after the accident, and it took approximately 72 hours to have a final number and check in the mail. Total estimate to repair the car was $18,992 including labor, they gave me a bit over $21k for the car before the deductible of $500 was taken out.

Good luck with your repair, just wanted to chime in and say my experience with the insurance company in question. Parts and paint repair were a bit under $14k on the cost breakdown.

Glad you're okay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

theohdolphillus

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: took such a long time for the parts to be sent over from the east coast, but she's finally looking new again! Geico "accidentally" ordered the non xenon lights, but luckily my mechanic was looking out for me and had them fix it right away. All that's left now is replacing the airbags and side fender speaker panels that cracked.

Got rid of the 5 holes that were in the bumper from the dealer drilled license plate frame

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Awesome, hopefully no issues down the line with it. Make sure you do a thorough inspection before accepting it.