GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Review

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
be tall and skinny and use a small flathead screwdriver

My bad on not seeing the OP was an R owner.
On a GTI it is not that hard.
Skinny, no 5'11", 190. Normal to stocky maybe.
You do have to relax and go slow. I will say earlier on I came out bleeding.
The key is to lean over from the right fender and slide right arm down next to right side of radiator. I use a trim tool to release plug as being plastic it might be less risk of plug damage. My left arm goes down on the left side of car near air filter. It helps bring plug down and with joining plugs.

A back On a good day helps. I am 52.
The front plug is 90% of the install. The rest is cable wire tie install.
Agree the R might be an issue as I know the washer tank is located on right side. Having to go from the bottom would get old I agree.
But it is worth it......correct!

JTK37

Has anyone here gone from jb1 to jb4? I love my jb1, but if their is a upgraded benefit to a jb4, I will consider dropping 125 then.

I just made the switch from JB1 to JB4 via the upgrade kit. I put over 20k miles on the JB1 and always liked it. I had compressor surge on the JB1 map 1 so I was running a modified map 6 which ran lower boost increase under 4k rpm.

I loved it, was smooth around town and on the highway, I commute 50 miles round trip each day mostly highway cruising at 3k rpm. It was tame around town and hit hard but without an edge over 3500rpm. Smooth enough actually that some of my buddies commented on just how civilized it was for the amount of power it was putting out. I had one CEL for low fuel rail pressure(?) when I was doing repetitive launches in 95* heat with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I blame that completely on the MQBs inherent fuel pick up problems below 1/2 tank.

Overall I had no complaints about the JB1 and loved the power increase, but of course everyone wants more and the JB4 upgrade is priced too attractively to not try it.

Installed the JB4 this past weekend and put about 100 miles on it. Just running map 1 and want to try map 2. The compressor surge I experienced with the JB1 is gone with the JB4, its smoother as RPMs climb, deceptively so- almost makes it seem slower. Got to do two launches and WOW. I've never had a problem with wheelsman on dry pavement 65* temps. Now it spins the tires straight through the 1-2 upshift, sooooo the 0-60 times are a little slower at this point, but dialing in the launch I expect to see a noticeable improvement. Best of all the girlfriend can go for a ride and she doesn't know anything is different. Perfect combination of raw speed and refinement.

Downpipes goes on later this week, so that refinement may not last much longer.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
I just made the switch from JB1 to JB4 via the upgrade kit. I put over 20k miles on the JB1 and always liked it. I had compressor surge on the JB1 map 1 so I was running a modified map 6 which ran lower boost increase under 4k rpm.

I loved it, was smooth around town and on the highway, I commute 50 miles round trip each day mostly highway cruising at 3k rpm. It was tame around town and hit hard but without an edge over 3500rpm. Smooth enough actually that some of my buddies commented on just how civilized it was for the amount of power it was putting out. I had one CEL for low fuel rail pressure(?) when I was doing repetitive launches in 95* heat with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I blame that completely on the MQBs inherent fuel pick up problems below 1/2 tank.

Overall I had no complaints about the JB1 and loved the power increase, but of course everyone wants more and the JB4 upgrade is priced too attractively to not try it.

Installed the JB4 this past weekend and put about 100 miles on it. Just running map 1 and want to try map 2. The compressor surge I experienced with the JB1 is gone with the JB4, its smoother as RPMs climb, deceptively so- almost makes it seem slower. Got to do two launches and WOW. I've never had a problem with wheelsman on dry pavement 65* temps. Now it spins the tires straight through the 1-2 upshift, sooooo the 0-60 times are a little slower at this point, but dialing in the launch I expect to see a noticeable improvement. Best of all the girlfriend can go for a ride and she doesn't know anything is different. Perfect combination of raw speed and refinement.

Downpipes goes on later this week, so that refinement may not last much longer.

Thanks for that review, it helps out a lot. I've had my jb1 since I had 600 miles on my golf. It now has 10600 on it and I recently just experienced compressor surge last weekend. I love my jb1, so I don't know if I will see an improvement if I switch to jb4. Currently I have intake, turbo inlet pipe and down pipe. Just placed an order on t.m.d. and the rest of the boost hoses. I think I might pull the trigger and do the jb4 and test map 2 right off the back. We get 93 here in Texas so I think ill be ok.

LeoA86

Ready to race!
Installed jb4 last night along with other goodies. Immediately dialed in map 2, and thing feels like a monster now. Mods, down pipe, tmd, turbo inlet pipe, full boost hose kit, intake and resonator delete. Feels awesome.

pranarun

Raising the car

Hi, Can anyone suggest some ramps, or other ways to raise my 15 7R high enough to access the pan to add the bottom plug, once I purchase a JB4?
Also, we only have 91 octane here in SoCal desert, nad it's now 115F, anything to be concerned with if I add the Jb4?

Thxs, J

JTK37

Hi, Can anyone suggest some ramps, or other ways to raise my 15 7R high enough to access the pan to add the bottom plug, once I purchase a JB4?
Also, we only have 91 octane here in SoCal desert, nad it's now 115F, anything to be concerned with if I add the Jb4?

Thxs, J

I use a standard floor jack. Lifting one side from the pinch weld it gives me more than enough clearance. I'd recommend lifting the passenger side as thats the side the plug is on. The only other thing you need to do underneath is remove the screws for the pan. I use a small cordless drill with short tore bit on it. I have plenty of room even on the side which stays on the ground.

I imagine any ramp would be suitable.

I would personally recommend practicing removing the plug on the coolant reservoir so you get an idea of how you need to manipulate it once you get underneath. It just makes things go more smoothly.

pranarun

Thanks JTK37,
Very helpful, I'll get a floor jack for this, as I'm sure I'll be able to use it for other reasons, (plus a jack stand for safety).
Great suggestion re. the coolant "test-plug", as this way one can feel what needs to be done.
Will also want to get a car jack & spare I think to mod into the sub-woofer.

Cheers, J

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
If you find a high curb you could literally just drive the right side of the car up on it and fit underneath it. It's on the passe ger side of the car

sparkyr

Passed Driver's Ed
I had compressor surge on the JB1 map 1 so I was running a modified map 6 which ran lower boost increase under 4k rpm.

What is compressor surge and what does it sound/feel like?