GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aonarch's Golf All Track SEL OEM+ Build

Aonarch

Ready to race!
This is Mrs. Aonarch's daily driver.

It all started when her 2016 Camaro 2SS went in for service at our local Chevy dealer, and came back like this;

Our budget was $40,000 total for a new car. We looked at everything, and were pretty set on a Volvo V60CC. But those were low 40s new (We were willing to go up), and low 30s gently used. The Volvo looks better and has more brand prestige, but the VW drove better and was cheaper. Sold. Plus being able to easily fix our gripes, like the low power figures, is a huge plus.

I've been driving VWs for 15+ years, and I actually tried not buying one, but the All Track is by far the king of its niche segment.

So since this is replacing a 450 hp Camaro, she wanted it to be fast and fun to drive. Selling her on a wagon took some work, especially one with only 179 hp.

That said, having warranty issues might be part of the deal, so I'm going to try sticking as OEM+ as possible.

Day one we ordered the Unitronic IS20 tune with the UniConnect+ cable, ECS intake, Golf R intercooler, 42DD downpipe, IS20, Golf R sway bar, Porsche Boxster brake calipers, Apikol brake carrier brackets, Stop Tech pads, ECS turbo muffler pipe, and a stainless steel rear bumper protector.

Next mods will be light weight wheels, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

It turns out the All track has a 21.7 mm sway bar, so I ordered a H&R 27 mm bar instead.

Pictures to come.

At the dealer.

So far:

Last edited:

Gberg2119

Ready to race!
Nice Alltrack and mod plans!

Sucks about the Camaro though. I test drove one before deciding to go with another VW in the R. I loved it. It drove so well and sounded incredible. For DD duties in the northeast though I just couldn't do it.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wth happened to the Camaro?

Silk blue is gorgeous.
Can't wait to see Unitronic is20 logs/performance/dyno We have a few is20's on here but all with jb4

Aonarch

Ready to race!
Dealer did a whoops. They never told me what happened because they didn't want to admit fault with General Motors. Basically a tech was working on the engine, took it for a test drive, and pow engine is on fire. So he probably left an oil line or gas line loose, and it dripped on the engine manifolds or something. I 100% blame the dealer/ the tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aonarch

Ready to race!

Welcoming me back to VW ownership. The battery is dead as a doornail. I didn't leave any lights on.

EDIT:

While helping a guy research Golf R suspension parts, I put this together thanks to C&D.

That isn't bad at all, hell I'll take the extra 88 lbs for 3.5% better distribution.

Last edited:

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Wow nice start from day one!

Are you planning on selling your 21.7 sway bar? If so, I might be interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Aonarch

Ready to race!
Wow nice start from day one!

Are you planning on selling your 21.7 sway bar? If so, I might be interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sure. Once I get it off I'd be ok with selling it.

Aonarch

Ready to race!
Whelp Fedex ****ed me. Callipers are delayed until Tuesday. They attempted delivery, but "the business was closed," I was sitting at my front door waiting... I was planning on doing the Brembo swap this weekend. Everything else is coming midweek, so that will be a lot of crap to do next weekend. So...

I went ahead and installed the turbo muffler pipe, which was a major pain in the ass. No room to work and all of the hose clamps are placed inconveniently.

The biggest issue was how to fit the new part in. There wasn't enough room to feed the new part back in the spot, since it is just a tiny bit larger, causing it not to fit. I ended up going around by the passenger side, touching the firewall and under/ up the turbo. No where in the instructions or the video do they cover that part. Of course.

Then I went ahead and painted the rears red Aka car domain mod. I'll be painting the Porsche Brembos red and putting white Brembo stickers on them, so might as well match rear calipers to the front while I have time. To paint them, I removed the calipers, but left the brake line attached, and placed them on a bucket by the fender.

Who knows if it does anything, but I went ahead and replaced all of the plastic hoses with silicone while I was in there.

I still am waiting on Unitronic to upload my ecu #. So I can't do the turbo or anything related until then. I am not going to do the intercooler until I do the headlights either.

Aonarch

Ready to race!

Intake and calipers arrived today.

Noticeable difference off the line and cruising at low speeds with the K&N filter and pipe. Pre-tune I still noticed a small difference. Maybe combined with the turbo muffler it does something. Once tuned it will make a larger difference.

The calipers are LIGHT! I'll weigh the Porsche calipers and stock GTI calipers Saturday.

Still no tune! ECU has not been added yet. Emailing them tonight.

The 27mm H&R rear sway bar will be installed Saturday as well.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Cool build. Sorry to see what happened to your previous car. I'll be interested to hear how the porsche/apikol brake setup performs. Certainly seems like a more easily accessible OEM+ improvement over shilling for CSS calipers, pads, and rotors.

I like the idea of an 'Alltrack GTI'. Am I right, like the 'R Variant' the Alltrack 1.8 TSI
comes with dual mufflers? (not just one single muffler w/ dual tips like the GTI) :confused:

Certainly seems like a more easily accessible OEM+ improvement over shilling for CSS calipers, pads, and rotors.
Not to sound anal, but the CSS has the same calipers as PP, CS and R.
Guess the biggest advantage of the Boxster setup is its much lower weight. ;)