GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni FSD + Eibach Pro Kit + 034 Strut Mounts Review

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I was going for a comfortable sport suspension with a mild drop. I read the FSDs could reduce squat and dive and keep the car flat on corners in leui of a stiffer rear sway. The Eibach Pro Kit paired well with FSDs on the mk6 platform according to reviews so I decided to pull the trigger. I wanted linear springs, but decided to roll the dice on these progressive springs since they'd have slightly better ride quality. Rhode Island has shit roads, so overly aggressive suspension isn't an option.

To make a long story short, this combo is just about perfect. The ride is smooth and quiet, and better than stock with one exception. The reduced suspension travel makes very large bumps very violent, though it's going to be violent on any car. I just drive a bit more carefully near poorly maintained expansion joints. The drop is advertised as 1.0 in the front and 1.0 on the rear, but my front seems a little lower than that, I'd guess 1.2-3.

My office is surrounded by awful speed bumps, but I haven't had any issues. I clear humps my buddy in his stock CC has scraped on.

I originally installed ECS heavy duty strut mounts, they must have been defective or poorly designed, because they made my front suspension sound like rusty pogo sticks. I swapped them out for 034 strut mounts and they are fantastic. I can't speak to highly enough of them. Get the 034 mounts. Do it.

A couple things to note, I tried keeping my stock front end links in and subsequently destroyed them. I replaced them with SuperPros and couldn't be happier. All the options here seemed good, so I went with the cheapest ($150). I'd strongly consider 034 if you are looking for spherical bearings.

The car is so much more stable at high speed with the Konis, 90 feels like 70 used to.

There is a very little bit of bounce on rough roads with the Eibachs, as with any progressive spring, but it doesn't bother me that much.

All in all, glad I did this.

Some pictures, the rear driver's side looks higher in the picture because the car is on an uneven surface. It's leaning slightly to the right.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Nice. I used to have the FSD's but with neuspeed sports. I bet the ride is very similar. Sporty and a bit more comfortable than stock (despite being lower) in most driving conditions.

Many, including some whose opinions I greatly respect, will say FSDs aren't meant for lowering springs. While I think the FSDs would do well for a DD with the stock springs, Koni also markets them with the Eibachs you have, and their technical sales department's general guidance is they will support up to a 1.5" drop.

Having said that, you do need to be careful as you can take some big hits in the front with big lips or potholes. I would agree this being similar with other setups. The thing with the FSD's is that you don't want to be hitting the bumpstops often based on their valving as it would get harsh. Seems like you will be okay with the eibachs though. Just be careful in the front (which I'd say to anyone with reduced travel over an inch).

Again, congrats on the new ride. Happy driving. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Why did the stock links get destroyed?
Not exactly sure, I think they were too long. The end joints were loose and a bit bent with the rubber sheath slightly exposed. I was worried they pushed the sway bar into the axles but I didn't see any damage.

I wanted to give them a shot before installing adjustable ones.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk