GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CLOUT's MK7 GTI Sport

VW Motorsport

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed Clubsport S Muffler on the Gti and it's pretty loud lol :eek: :D

Since it is paired with the APR Downpipe and apr dp does not have a resonator built in like the MAP and UR dp's, the drone around 3k rpm is amplified with the CSS muffler. User Derushi asked how it sounded driving around, I told him anything under 2.5- 3k rpm partial throttle isn't too bad but anything 50% throttle - WOT and over 3k is pretty loud. A WOT 2nd gear pull to 3rd gear full beans shift will have a loud POP(sounds diff than a dsg fart to me) at the end of it. Here is a iphone clip of a coldstart:

Update 04/27/17 put about 400-500 miles on it and going to keep it on. I honestly just feather it around town and when I want to scare people I go WOT for the loud pop and crackle haha. My older son and my wife are not bothered by it, so it's a keeper for now!

I have a question...

So did you retain the center section with the factory triangle muffler? If not, APR now has a center section triangle muffler.

I ask because I have a Autotech/Magnaflow catback, but I've been holding out on installing my Neuspeed DP because of potentially how loud it will be. I'm contemplating getting a resonator AND APR center section just to tone it down, as my car is also my DD.

CLOUT

Ready to race!
I have a question...

So did you retain the center section with the factory triangle muffler? If not, APR now has a center section triangle muffler.

I ask because I have a Autotech/Magnaflow catback, but I've been holding out on installing my Neuspeed DP because of potentially how loud it will be. I'm contemplating getting a resonator AND APR center section just to tone it down, as my car is also my DD.

Still using stock oem pp gti resonator/triangle. I did see APR now has a option to buy just the center section and wonder if that would help. APR dp seems to be louder even with stock catback due to where the dp's cat is I'm assuming. Your neuspeed DP should have a cat closer to the turbo where as the apr moves the cat closer to the center section of the exhaust. That could play a role in how loud everything is.

Let me know if you decide to do the apr center section, would love to hear if it works out for you.:)

CLOUT

Ready to race!
15k Mile Update ***

- Got a good deal on a used full CF APR Intake (with stage 2 pipe) as well as a new APR Cast Inlet pipe, installed last week.
- Installed HPA Core Interlock Pendulum Mount, feels nice and tight again when shifting, havent felt wheel hop. Def a upgrade from the IE insert I had previously.
- Put in a new set of Brisk Silver's ER12s and topped it off with some Motul, car runs perfect again. Had a few misfires while going WOT before I did service, but now everything is fine.

Upcoming Plans: IS38!! lol, debating on selling JB4 and going Cobb 5150 since they are local to me and a Propel E85 station opened up 5 min from my house. Either that or just go APR IS38 93oct tune and just keep my usual E30 mix.

Since IS38 bug hit, looks like the clubsport aero is on the backburner and I might just go with the Dutch Parts & Co* Front Splitter/Lip. I like how simple and OEM it looks and how durable the reviews say it is.

Last edited:

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Oh damn IS38 haha. Looking into that Dutch splitter as well but the car is already low up front without one lol. Might do it regardless though...

Also did you have the ER12s when you had the misfires?

I’m still on stock plugs, around 8k with JB4 and another 8k w/o. No misfires but it seems to idle a bit rough sometimes...

CLOUT

Ready to race!
Oh damn IS38 haha. Looking into that Dutch splitter as well but the car is already low up front without one lol. Might do it regardless though...

Also did you have the ER12s when you had the misfires?

I’m still on stock plugs, around 8k with JB4 and another 8k w/o. No misfires but it seems to idle a bit rough sometimes...

Hahah yah.

I had ER12s for about 7-7500 miles then misfires happened, changed then out and all good again. Did you install the apr front muffler yet, was it in stock with apr?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
My GTI plans are similar to what you have going here. Though I've gone back to the stock shifter from using the diesel geek sigma 6 for 10k miles. I mainly did this because I needed to take my car to the dealership to have a look at a rattle from the transmission. Found that it's kinda normal to hear a bit of rattle as the transmission breaks in.

I actually found that I prefer the stock shifter. Just want a little shorter, so I'm going with a OEM European short shifter. I will say that I was very happy with the sigma 6. Just wanted to try something a bit different.

Anyway looking forward to seeing more updates on this project. :D

CLOUT

Ready to race!
My GTI plans are similar to what you have going here. Though I've gone back to the stock shifter from using the diesel geek sigma 6 for 10k miles. I mainly did this because I needed to take my car to the dealership to have a look at a rattle from the transmission. Found that it's kinda normal to hear a bit of rattle as the transmission breaks in.

I actually found that I prefer the stock shifter. Just want a little shorter, so I'm going with a OEM European short shifter. I will say that I was very happy with the sigma 6. Just wanted to try something a bit different.

Anyway looking forward to seeing more updates on this project. :D

Thanks for stopping by, I was actually looking into the euro short shifter at first. Let me know how it feels, were you planning on doing any cable bracket bushings or a metal shifter bracket as well? The sigma six has served me well but there is still some side to side play while in gear that I might try to fix with the apr metal shifter bracket.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Thanks for stopping by, I was actually looking into the euro short shifter at first. Let me know how it feels, were you planning on doing any cable bracket bushings or a metal shifter bracket as well? The sigma six has served me well but there is still some side to side play while in gear that I might try to fix with the apr metal shifter bracket.

I actually had the apr cable bracket on as well. I might put that back on soon. I certainly noticed a very nice change with my mk6 when I installed it on there even with everything else remaining stock.

The side to side play I've found is caused by the shifter housing itself inside of the car. This might help if you're experiencing excessive side to side play:
https://youtu.be/AfelMppq1zQ

CLOUT

Ready to race!
I actually had the apr cable bracket on as well. I might put that back on soon. I certainly noticed a very nice change with my mk6 when I installed it on there even with everything else remaining stock.

The side to side play I've found is caused by the shifter housing itself inside of the car. This might help if you're experiencing excessive side to side play:
https://youtu.be/AfelMppq1zQ

Oh nice, thanks I'll check it out.

Matias

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello CLOUT, how does css muffler with apr cast downpipe sound on highways and for daily driving, I am 20 right now I just want to be able to listen to music and want it to be quieter when I want it to be.

Last edited:

CLOUT

Ready to race!
Hello CLOUT, how does css muffler with apr cast downpipe sound on highways and for daily driving, I am 20 right now I just want to be able to listen to music and want it to be quieter when I want it to be.

Hi Matias, it is a bit loud with the APR downpipe to be honest. There isdrone around 3k rpm till 4.5k rpm. In the future I am going to put on the APR front muffler/resonator that is available for their exhaust system to quiet it down. "Derushi" here on the boards has done this and has mentioned that the APR front muffler has effectively taken out the drone from the css muffler combined with a downpipe. You could also pick up a vibrant resonator to replace the stock resonator to help cut out the drone, it is also priced less than the APR unit.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

Hi Matias, it is a bit loud with the APR downpipe to be honest. There isdrone around 3k rpm till 4.5k rpm. In the future I am going to put on the APR front muffler/resonator that is available for their exhaust system to quiet it down. "Derushi" here on the boards has done this and has mentioned that the APR front muffler has effectively taken out the drone from the css muffler combined with a downpipe. You could also pick up a vibrant resonator to replace the stock resonator to help cut out the drone, it is also priced less than the APR unit.

To add on to this, the change in sound at 3k rpm and up is still there but it isn't that loud in the cabin in my opinion and there's no bad rattles/vibrations compared to if you still have the stock resonator w/ aftermarket DP and CSS muffler. Most other catback systems will likely be similar to this, maybe quieter for some like the AWE touring.

My current setup is MAP Catted/Resonated Downpipe -> APR Optional Front muffler -> Clubsport S Muffler. Regular city commute below 2.5k rpm, very tame and quiet. When you really get on it, it's a nice deep and loud sound. I wish I could record but I don't have a mic or GoPro/action camera.

Anyway, highly recommend changing the stock resonator if you plan on running an aftermarket downpipe + axle-back/muffler.

Matias

Passed Driver's Ed
To add on to this, the change in sound at 3k rpm and up is still there but it isn't that loud in the cabin in my opinion and there's no bad rattles/vibrations compared to if you still have the stock resonator w/ aftermarket DP and CSS muffler. Most other catback systems will likely be similar to this, maybe quieter for some like the AWE touring.

My current setup is MAP Catted/Resonated Downpipe -> APR Optional Front muffler -> Clubsport S Muffler. Regular city commute below 2.5k rpm, very tame and quiet. When you really get on it, it's a nice deep and loud sound. I wish I could record but I don't have a mic or GoPro/action camera.

Anyway, highly recommend changing the stock resonator if you plan on running an aftermarket downpipe + axle-back/muffler.

Hey! Thanks for all the info really helps, what do you think about going cts catted instead of apr?