GOLFMKV

R MHGERD - 2016 Golf R DSG Oryx White - The "not a build thread" build thread

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Update!

Got a few mods in this weekend, and one BIG upgrade:

Four Seasons Tuning in Anaheim set me up with a UM Combo Tune and the car is ALIVE. I'm still familiarizing myself with how the car drives/shifts/reacts but let me just say this tune is smooth, powerful, ads a ton of character through burbles and pops on decel, and the DSG tune with the remapped D and S modes is what stock should have been. Launch mode sounds/feels more like a true 2-step barking and popping at 4500RPM.

Especially happy because of the support offered by UM and Four Seasons when the inevitable big turbo bug bites me, UM tunes for just about every hybrid or Garret/EFR turbo kit out now. I passed on the Flex Fuel sensor kit, but will definitely want that with the MPI fueling system for cheap race gas tuned the right way, regardless of my blend or the ethanol content.

I also installed my folding mirrors, coded for fold on lock option in the MIB, and for puddles on during folding which is sorta neat. Install was super easy, just fishing the harness through the door was a bit fiddly but I ran a wire and taped it to the harness to pull though. Only broke one clip! Mirrors came with 6 spares so I'm still in good shape!

IMG_20170501_194803 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I still get a kick when the mirrors fold up or down, but honestly it looks cool and for my driveway or parking it makes it easier to get around the car so WIN WIN!

Completed my 15k oil change courtesy of DAP with Motul 8100. Gotta love the canister filter and plastic drain plug, easiest oil change ever.

WHY_GTI1

Ready to race!
I haven't seen you around San Gabriel, I drive a lot too...

Anyway, Nice car! Bring that freshly tuned beast out to irwindale one of these nights. I'm leaning torwards UM for a tune later on down the road, it would be nice to see your ET and trap speed.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I haven't seen you around San Gabriel, I drive a lot too...

Anyway, Nice car! Bring that freshly tuned beast out to irwindale one of these nights. I'm leaning torwards UM for a tune later on down the road, it would be nice to see your ET and trap speed.

I'm way North against San Marino so I'm in Pasadena more than San Gabriel/Alhambra, but I'm around!

I'd like to do some trips to the strip for sure, but I'm really wanting to do some track days as a priority. That's really what I bought the car for, even though I found out it's really a great drag car too haha.

WHY_GTI1

Ready to race!
I see, I'm near the borderline of Alhambra and San Gabriel.

I want to do a track day but I'm usually super busy during the weekend. Weekdays I can just drop by for a run at irwindale on a Thursday/Friday night if I have time.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
A few updates!

I got a wild hair to try and increase the sound of my factory exhaust while still maintaining the OEM valves. The idea would be to 100% bypass the muffler on the outer "race" pipes with the valves, and potentially use a controller like the AWE Switch Path remote to switch between stock and extra race!

I had a local exhaust shop install a bypass, only on the driver side at first to see what it would sound like. Honestly, not great. Sort of high pitched, BUT just what I wanted was popping and burbling on decel, just like with aftermarket cat backs.

Pics for clicks!
IMG_20170524_164337 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20170524_164342 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20170524_164351 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

What they were able to do was to fit a small 1.5" (?) pipe from the muffler inlet to the pipe just before the valve. That way the valve did not have to be cut off and removed, and cap the muffler body like I had originally wanted.

Plan now is to have the second passenger side bypass done and reinstall my resonator in place of the S3 delete to mellow the tone a bit. Will update on that once complete!

Hi 20k miles and completed a Motul oil change courtesy of Deutsche Auto Parts, including new RS7 spark plugs to replace the IKH24 plugs. They only had 5k miles on them, but I decided to swap to the RS7 plugs for a longer service life. I will inspect at 10k and replace at 20k, just to be on top of it. Here's what the plugs looked like, top is #1, bottom is #4. Only a bit of oil on #4 from a small valve cover leak :mad:

IMG_20170812_145012 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Not much to see, even wear, no build up. CA 91 with the occasional E30 ethanol blend.

At the same time I installed my FlowDesign V2 Side skirt extensions. I love em, but that install was a PITA. Since I couldn't find any install threads or info, I just dove in. It is really self explanatory once you get down there.

Remove 4 screws that hold the factory skirt to the body. I clamped my extension where I could in the middle and checked to make sure the back of the extension lined up with the back of the OEM skirt. If you wanted to, you can cheat the extension IN more, but in my experience if I had the skirt sticking out more there were body seams the hardware bumped into, which would keep the skirt from sitting flush. Drill holes, feed hardware inside the skirt and curse frequently. I have big hands but not super thick fingers and I just had enough space to start the lock-nut and then hold a 10mm socket while I tightened from below. Took about 3 hours total with a tire rotation, one side at a time on the ground.

IMG_20170812_093022 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20170812_093050 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20170812_102317 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20170812_102927 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

More to come, thanks for looking!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
First big update in nearly 4 months!

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of wheels and tires, very happy!

Wheels: Konig Rennform 18x9 ET45
Tires: Conti Extreme Sport Contact 235/40-18
Total weight 41.2 lbs

No rubbing, no fender mods. Saved 4ish lbs over the factory wheels, very happy with the setup. Will probably add 5mm rear spacers later to even everything out.

IMG_20171216_091531 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20171216_083958 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20171216_092830 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
A quick post about wheel weights. I have been running the ECS flush spacers and bolts (15mmF/20mmR) for some time now, but whenever I consider wheel weights on aftermarket wheels I've never considered weight savings from ditching the spacers and extended bolts. It makes a healthy difference!

First is a stock wheel, 75% worn OEM Bridgestones:
IMG_20171216_085608 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Next, same wheel plus ECS 20mm spacer and five 48mm length bolts:
IMG_20171216_085652 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Now, Rennform + Conti setup with plastic hub ring installed:
IMG_20171216_085805 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

And finally, same wheel but with five Gorilla Small Diameter bolts included:
IMG_20171216_085829 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

So I saved ~3+ lbs on just the wheel and tire combo, but running a wheel that is spec'd to not need spacers to get the look I want saved me nearly another 2 lbs! That's a nice little boost there, and I can definitely feel the improvements in ride quality and agility with the weight loss.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
That looks awesome. Definitely going to try out 18x9 for my next wheel setup.

Thanks! It's not terribly aggressive, but on some wheels (the Rennforms being one) you get a different concave because of the width/offset. Very happy with the look.

Nice wheel choice, how do you like that new Extreme Sport tire? Do they look narrow ? Any sidewall pic? Thanks in advance

Thank you! So far I've only put about 100 commuting miles on the setup so I can't speak to their grip, but they ride smooth and possibly a bit more comfortable than the stock S001s.

Here's a pic of them off the car, hopefully that gives you a better idea of their profile. Definitely not stretched, but also not completely square.

IMG_20171215_201427 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Tico63

Ready to race!
Need...more...of...this....

Please...update...