GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Earliest interval to swap to Amsoil

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
I know a lot of people are pretty passionate about their lubes. So I am looking to switch with Amsoil. My car has 500 miles, when is the earliest recommended to change out oil?

I understand on a rebuilt motor a longer break in is ideal, but I believe most modern car makers have already somewhat broke in engines.

Just looking to do it "just cause", not because I am expecting any big gains.

Thanks in advance.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI

lostru

Ready to race!
Never. The amount spent will never equate to gains. On top of it, there will be a lot of explaining why oil changes were not done at the intervals for warranty coverage. Maybe after the warrant elapses but not before.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Amsoil is not approved for use in our cars. Amsoil Euro Formula is 504/507 approved. The spec for our cars is 502.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks Bluehen! I just looked for in the sheet, and didn't make the 502 correlation. Thanks for addressing that!

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks Bluehen! I just looked for in the sheet, and didn't make the 502 correlation. Thanks for addressing that!

No problem.

To the OP, I am not an Amsoil hater. They make great products. I have used their severe gear oil exclusively for almost 150K miles in both differentials of my now 12 year old 4Runner.

However, should there ever be a powertrain warranty claim related even remotely to engine lubrication, you had better have documentation of 502-spec oil being used or your case is an easy denial by a dealer or VW corporate.

If you don't care about warranty, knock yourself out with Amsoil.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Amsoil is not approved for use in our cars. Amsoil Euro Formula is 504/507 approved. The spec for our cars is 502.

Maybe it's deferent in the USA, but the 504 or 502 are the oils recommended by VW. 502 is for fixed intervals only. 504 is the only oil with Euro6 compliance. I prefer the 504 and changing oil every 10000Kms:)
Same goes for diesel cars. 507 is used in Euro6 Diesel engines.

I don't know anything about Amsoil, as their presence in my country is minimal. I prefer Motul but I may change to Liqui Moly as I'm qurious, they seem to know their business.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe it's deferent in the USA, but the 504 or 502 are the oils recommended by VW. 502 is for fixed intervals only. 504 is the only oil with Euro6 compliance. I prefer the 504 and changing oil every 10000Kms:)
Same goes for diesel cars. 507 is used in Euro6 Diesel engines.

I don't know anything about Amsoil, as their presence in my country is minimal. I prefer Motul but I may change to Liqui Moly as I'm qurious, they seem to know their business.

You may be right. This link appears to say that 502, 503, and 504 are OK for a Mk7 GTI: https://carmanuals2.com/d/35862

If so, I stand corrected and the OP should be able to use Amsoil without concern about warranty.

Chad1140

Passed Driver's Ed
I suppose I would wait to the correct interval, and then but the correct Amsoil and have the stealership perform the service for documentation, thanks. LiguidMolly seems to be a great option as well.

lostru

Ready to race!
I wonder if they will all point fingers at each other if there is engine trouble and not changing the oil at the recommended intervals. Good to know its approved though.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Changing early would be fine. But I wouldn't extend the interval past the stock oil change intervals until out of the warranty period.