GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken "Oh S***" Handle

Marcsoup

The "oh shit" handle (grab handle above the passenger door for when you give it some gas) is currently broken on my GTI.

Last night, I was recruited to pick up my mother's cousin from her house and bring her to the passover seder. Afterwards, I brought her back home.

This morning, my friend was in the car and asked me "Hey, is this handle supposed to be hanging down like this?" at which point the spring popped out and landed on his lap.

Any ideas on how to pop the spring back in? It's under a lot of pressure, and I can't really squeeze my pliers in there while keeping it compressed to hook the ends in.

I can't think of anything more obnoxious than breaking someone's car and then not telling them about it. Had she said "oops, I'm sorry" or anything, I wouldn't be pissed. People make mistakes, shit happens. The fact that she didn't own up to it is what gets me...

Marcsoup

Well, I said screw it and am going to the dealer to have them fix it. That spring is impossible to get in there. I gave up when the spring inevitably flew out of the pliers and landed in the lawn somewhere...

Marcsoup

Well, fixed under warranty. She might not be the lightest of people, but she definitely shouldn't have been able to break it. Only took the dealership 2 weeks to get the new handle...

applesauce2

Passed Driver's Ed
Same thing just happened to me. I have the spring and the little plastic rod that goes through the center. Has anyone had any success putting it back?

Hate to revive an old thread but I used my handle for the first time tonight and something fell in my lap....the spring with the plastic piece going through it!! Car is 2 months old this should not be happening SMH. I will have to waste lease mileage and drive to the dealership to get it put back in.