GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camaro ZL1 1LE or Shelby GT350

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
I wish I could. It's already a miracle if I could get a regular test drive. I don't think I'll ever be able to get some track time unless I buy one myself. I haven't seen a single one at a track day yet. I don't understand what they buy them for!

From what I've heard, there is a known issue with the oil cooler that makes most people hesitant to track them until Ford addresses the issue officially, though apparently they're working on a fix.

I absolutely thrashed the GT350 and it was a blast, definitely didn't get boring.

If I only had the budget I would buy a manual GT4 in a flash

Buy used, they're worth every penny. Beat the snot out of a GT4 at AMP/CMP and that was the most fun I've ever had driving. The auto rev-match downshift is precise to within 5 rpm, it would seem.

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
From what I've heard, there is a known issue with the oil cooler that makes most people hesitant to track them until Ford addresses the issue officially, though apparently they're working on a fix.

I absolutely thrashed the GT350 and it was a blast, definitely didn't get boring.

Buy used, they're worth every penny. Beat the snot out of a GT4 at AMP/CMP and that was the most fun I've ever had driving. The auto rev-match downshift is precise to within 5 rpm, it would seem.

Even used it's almost impossible to find a GT4 for less than six figures.

As for the GT350, they're getting into their third model year. I think it's safe to say that they should have figured it out by now?

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Problem is I don't think either dealer will let you test drive the cars. At least my local dealers won't... tough choice man im back in this thread.

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
Problem is I don't think either dealer will let you test drive the cars. At least my local dealers won't... tough choice man im back in this thread.

My brain says ZL1 1LE by my heart says GT350. But yea, no way I'm test driving either one of them. However I should probably try to get a test drive for a random Camaro because I really don't know what it feels like to drive

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
If I had to drive one daily, GT350 hands down. More user friendly and looks worlds better IMO. I can't come to grips with the diameter of domestic steering wheels these days, I have fairly large hands and just about every domestic gets a 2 on a scale of 1-10 for steering wheel comfort. Seeing as that is something I would constantly interact with, I shy away. Have for awhile. There are other reasons too, but that is the one glaring beef I have with American badge'd vehicles. Chrysler products especially.

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
Or Wait for new Z/28, the rumor said that GM is working on new 5.5L V8 Flat Plane crank with twin turbo, may be around 700HP.

The Z/28 will likely be out my budget. The ZL1 1LE, assuming the 1LE package is less than 10 grand is already almost out of budget for me. The great thing about the GT350 is that I can get one for about 60K, put the R front sway bar, the R springs and and R wing and I have an amazing track car that will also hold it's value incredibly well. I'm sure that if I have to sell a used ZL1 1LE I'll most likely take a bath

whatisthatsound

Passed Driver's Ed
I just passed on a '16 GT350 with the track pack like a fool. I test drove it on saturday went home, and called back monday (they were closed sunday) to buy it, and it was gone. I'm in the same boat with you as the R. I came from a Viper & the VW is great at everything I ask it to do, but I loathe making the monthly car payment for something I don't love.

It took me a good 2 hours at the Ford dealer to convince them to let me drive one, which is hilarious because you can go to a porsche, mb, audi or bmw dealer and drive something with twice the msrp with no hassle, but it is what it is. After driving it I will admit it is better than the Viper in every way except the way it looks, but I got over that very quickly. As soon as one pops up with the color and price I want I'll be saying goodbye to vw unless they ever make the R400.

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
I just passed on a '16 GT350 with the track pack like a fool. I test drove it on saturday went home, and called back monday (they were closed sunday) to buy it, and it was gone. I'm in the same boat with you as the R. I came from a Viper & the VW is great at everything I ask it to do, but I loathe making the monthly car payment for something I don't love.

It took me a good 2 hours at the Ford dealer to convince them to let me drive one, which is hilarious because you can go to a porsche, mb, audi or bmw dealer and drive something with twice the msrp with no hassle, but it is what it is. After driving it I will admit it is better than the Viper in every way except the way it looks, but I got over that very quickly. As soon as one pops up with the color and price I want I'll be saying goodbye to vw unless they ever make the R400.

I doubt the R400 will ever be a thing. We're not even getting the majestic 10 hp power bump on the 2018 R here in the US.

Quick question. You're shopping for a GT350 so I'm guessing you've seen the Camaro ZL1 with 1LE package. What you think of that car? Why the GT350 over the ZL1? I'm trying to decide myself and I'm torn so I'm trying to get other people's input.

Venumous

Ready to race!
There was a GT350 in the Houston area you could rent on Turo. I just rented a 13 GTR and I'm curious if you had considered it as well in the same price range of about $65k, though that DCT would be far less engaging (similar to the DSG on the R). The GT350 engine hype is for real, that thing is a blast to drive. I have two buddies that own them and a 119mph trap from the factory is no joke. The GTR is a monster as well and I was 100% convinced I'd own a GT350 after I'm done with this monster of a 5.0 but now I'm not so sure it won't be a GTR, haha.

whatisthatsound

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question. You're shopping for a GT350....I'm trying to get other people's input.

I have a bias opinion of Mustang & Camaro owners because I never found the cars particularly exciting when I had my Viper. However, after driving the GT350 I decided I didn't care how it looked because I really enjoyed the car. The new Camaro may be faster and brake harder, handle better, but unless it has a flat plane V8 I'm not very interested in it. If i was going just for speed and HP I'd buy a '13 or never Viper again, I want to try the GT350 though first and see how I like it for a little while. This purchase will be from my heart not from stats.

whatisthatsound

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm curious if you had considered it as well in the same price range.

I know the truth is automatic transmissions with shifter paddles in high horsepower cars are superior in every way, but I would be very bored. The old car club I used to run with had a GTR I got to drive and what a car indeed, but it isn't for me. The best car I drove was a manual 911 Turbo then a manual R8. Those are more in line with my car preferences.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I know the truth is automatic transmissions with shifter paddles in high horsepower cars are superior in every way, but I would be very bored. The old car club I used to run with had a GTR I got to drive and what a car indeed, but it isn't for me. The best car I drove was a manual 911 Turbo then a manual R8. Those are more in line with my car preferences.

Demon?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
It's still like the old days. When you drive up to a dealership with a VW they won't take you seriously. They didn't want to let you drive an R when it first came out.