GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Filter question

MattyOH

I live in Columbus, Ohio, and recently bought a lightly-used 2015 Golf GTI S. Freaking love this vehicle!

Changing oil on this is a total breeze, and with the help of this site and Youtube, I successfully changed my DSG fluid (not a breeze, but do-able if you are careful and patient).

But what about the fuel filter? I've changed the fuel filter in my 2011 TDI 3-4 times (a breeze, as long as you have VCDS to prime the fuel pumps).

But what about the fuel filter on the GTI? Then manual makes no mention of needing to change it at all...it only talks about the TDI. I've seen videos of fuel filter changes on MK5 and MK6 GTIs, but what about the MK7? Looks easy enough to swap out, but is it really necessary?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Unfortunately it's a part of the low pressure fuel pump, so it's not replaceable. In fact it is replaceable only if you're able to find the filter alone to buy it and have the knowledge and patience to remove, turn the pump to pieces and rebuild it. As it is in any modern car, VW wants us to buy the whole fuel pump if anything goes wrong. I had a Peugeot 207RC which had the same configuration and at 140000Km the fuel circuit was working as it should, so probably we won't have problems. As a preventative measure I refuel only with good quality fuel at a friend's fuel station.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I believe that diesel fuel filters (like in TDI) have to be changed more often (fuel changes between seasons, paraffin separation, water etc). Not as much of an issue on gasoline vehicles but even then I've replaced it few times on my zx3 - 1st couple time more as a part of troubleshooting of a misfire issue, then because of the can rusted through and started leaking and then because I had to replace the pump (common issue and unlikely to be caused by the filter). The fuel filter was outside the tank and replacement was fairly easy (but no fun). The pump itself was a be.. to get to (I had to cut access hole as I was not going to risk dropping the tank). Pump assembly has its own fuel strainers and there was some sand in the tank (I do not live in desert) - dirt is probably main thing to worry about. I don't know how involved is taking apart the pump in Golf/GTI (access should be fairly easy), but I'd avoid doing it unless necessary - don't fix what's not broken. I bet that shops in lower income countries do this stuff as nobody out there would drop couple hundred 4 instead of replacing cheaper sub-components or even just washing the strainers (so there will be some guides though possibly in a foreign language).

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
In TDIs, filtered diesel fuel lubricates the HPFP: one more reason that the fuel filter on a TDI is far more critical to change per the maintenance schedule; also a reason to make sure you don't use diesel with poor lubricity (many use additives) or misfuel with even a token amount of gasoline.