GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R now, or wait?

Flysh

Greetings everyone,

I’m at a crossroads on what I should do. I have a brand new 2018 Autobahn with less than 1000 miles on it. A week or so after I bought it, the R came to my local dealer and caught my eye. So here’s my question;

Do I cut my losses now and trade in the autobahn towards the 2018 R? Or, should I drive it for the next year and wait for the 19 R to come out? I love the 18 R wheels, and the fact that it comes in manual still. I’m also worried that my autobahn will lose a ton of value in just a years time. On the other side of things, I heard that next year begins the mk8 series which will potentially have more HP, but hybrid tech.

Just looking for general advice on what you all think! Thanks!

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Not sure where you heard that the MK8 comes out next year. Historically (aside from MK1 and 2) MK# changes are every 5-6 years or so.

Your Autobahn lost a ton of value the second you drove it off the lot.
I would keep your car until the MK8 comes out in (presumably) 3 years.
And if you don't like the MK8 then maybe you can find a deal on the last year of the MK7.5.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
depends if you have cash to burn. If not, I would recommend keeping your 2018 GTI and enjoying it until the next iteration of the -R comes out, as previously mentioned. You would probably lose 15-20% of what you paid on the GTI, in no case would I see that as being worth it.

KO7

Ready to race!
The GTI is a heckuva car. Plus you have a sunroof and substantially better fuel mileage. Keep and enjoy ��

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
MK8 will be out next year in Europe, not here. It might take a couple of years to land across the pond.

Your loss will totally depend on what kind of a deal you got for your GTI. If its minimal, it might be worthy to look into the option of selling it. If not, drive it until we get the MK8 here.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I would get the new Golf-R if you can. Otherwise each time you get into your GTI you will be hitting yourself in the head. Some say the GTI is 90% the R. It’s the last 10% that makes owning the R worthwhile. GL

Thurnis

Ready to race!
Take the 3-5k you would lose on the trade in and tune your GTI. Be happy with your purchase. You got a sunroof. No need for remorse.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Go to the dealer and see what the deal will be. They sell R around MSRP so if they are motivate they might give you more for your trade. If it is $3K difference or less I would pull the trigger. Golf Rs are sweet.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Go to the dealer and see what the deal will be. They sell R around MSRP so if they are motivate they might give you more for your trade. If it is $3K difference or less I would pull the trigger. Golf Rs are sweet.

What he said!

If they aren't willing to deal, lay down until it goes away. You have a great car.

cb1111

Say what?

The actual difference in price between the R and the GTI (Autobahn) on the lot new is about $10k (R at retail+ and GTI at $5k discount).

The OP will take a $4k+ hit on his GTI. Add fees and taxes and he'll be lucky to turn in his GTI and $16k.

Edit: Car tax in Buffalo is 8.75%, so the difference will be far more than $16k. In DC I can get a GTI Autobahn for under $32k. The dealer will most likely offer $27k. the R is $42k. Add 8.75% (3675) 45675 plus $75 in processing fees and roughly $100 in tag fees so about $45850.

He's also into the GTI with $2800 in taxes, so the real difference is $45850 minus $27000 plus $2800 or $21650.

That will be the real cost of an R plus his traded GTI.

Last edited:

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
Take the 3-5k you would lose on the trade in and tune your GTI. Be happy with your purchase. You got a sunroof. No need for remorse.

I have an R. I would do this instead of getting the R. Hell, buy the 18 R wheels if you like them so much and you'll still have cash left over for a stage 1 tune. You'll need some money for a new clutch, but eh...

Flysh

Wow thanks for all of the replies guys! I can tell I joined the right community already :) Some great advice here to consider. I’m leaning towards hanging onto what I have and reconsidering the R next year or so.