GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil catch can needed or not? When to upgrade HPFP?

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
I am a new proud owner of a 2018 GTI SE. I have had no luck on finding a concrete answer on whether or not a oil catch can is needed after the car has been tuned. I have researched the topic in depth but I keep getting different opinions. Another topic I have researched with a little more luck is hpfp upgrades. What I haven't been able to find is at what point during mainly software modding, should I consider upgrading my hpfp. Currently I am at APR stage 1 ECU/TCU tune and am planning on going stage 2 with downpipe in near future. The last thing I want is for my car to blowup 1000mi into its life due to fuel shortage or decreased efficiency due to oil getting recirculated back into my intake. This is my first turbo car let alone GTI so I am new to all this. Any info would be greatly appreciated. PS....I AM ADDICTED!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
From my understanding, neither is needed for just a tune. Only needed if you go big turbo. Those that have gone BT or upgraded their turbo to something other than the IS38 on this forum will most likely chim in.

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Catch can only if you are tracking our autocrossing and putting serious Gs into braking and turning.

LPFP before HPFP. And HPFP doesn't help much anyways unless your also do injectors. Better to go LPFP and MPI, but neither is necessary unless you go big turbo or run a ton of ethanol.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Thank you for the info. My goal with both the oil catch can and hpfp isn't necessarily more power. I just want to make sure that I don't put myself in a position that I lean out or am dumping oil into my intake.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Thank you for the info. My goal with both the oil catch can and hpfp isn't necessarily more power. I just want to make sure that I don't put myself in a position that I lean out or am dumping oil into my intake.

You won't lean out on the stock turbo. You won't dump oil in your intake unless you autocross or drive like you are autocrossing.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
What Demi said. No real need on either for you right now. LPFP needs to be upgraded way before you'll need to upgrade HPFP, the HPFP isn't much of a bottleneck, I'm not sure when it even needs to be upgraded. I have a fresh BOSS600 turbo kit and am just concerned with getting a bigger LPFP and multi-port injection... not really worried about the HPFP at all right now.

One of the biggest benefits for a catch can (that works) in our cars is to resolve the oil surge issue you get from high-G braking/cornering when on track. On top of that, I've seen only VWR and the new Spulen V2 catch cans actually do that so far, and I know APR's doesn't, for a fact. Other than that issue, the other stuff catch cans are supposed to do for our cars is pretty debatable as to whether or not they do anything.

So, my advice to you right now, unless you heavily track and/or are big turbo, I wouldn't worry about either. Plenty of more useful stuff you can spend your money on, like a downpipe and Stage 2, good tires, and rear sway bar :)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
What Demi said. No real need on either for you right now. LPFP needs to be upgraded way before you'll need to upgrade HPFP, the HPFP isn't much of a bottleneck, I'm not sure when it even needs to be upgraded. I have a fresh BOSS600 turbo kit and am just concerned with getting a bigger LPFP and multi-port injection... not really worried about the HPFP at all right now.

One of the biggest benefits for a catch can (that works) in our cars is to resolve the oil surge issue you get from high-G braking/cornering when on track. On top of that, I've seen only VWR and the new Spulen V2 catch cans actually do that so far, and I know APR's doesn't, for a fact. Other than that issue, the other stuff catch cans are supposed to do for our cars is pretty debatable as to whether or not they do anything.

So, my advice to you right now, unless you heavily track and/or are big turbo, I wouldn't worry about either. Plenty of more useful stuff you can spend your money on, like a downpipe and Stage 2, good tires, and rear sway bar :)

Don't forget motor/trans and dogbone mounts!

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE

You read my mind in terms of what I was planning on doing next in the exact order. I read that rear sway bar works wonders!

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Don't forget motor/trans and dogbone mounts!
My concerns with the above mods are sacrificing too much comfort for driving it on a daily basis. Again, I am new to this whole scene so please enlighten me. Do these mods kill daily driving in terms of comfort?

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Thanks for all the input. If there is any other things i.e. mods that you would recommend, keep them coming. I am always looking for new ideas. Wheel/tire combos perhaps?!

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE

Have you or anybody you know of had any issues directly related to the big turbo install? Did you do any internal upgrades? I didn't realize this little inline 4 could handle so much power! I was nervos to tune it with less than 1000mi on the odometer knowing that I am basically throwing away my 60,000mi warranty. I am glad that I did now though because IT IS SOOOOO MUCH FUN!!!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
My concerns with the above mods are sacrificing too much comfort for driving it on a daily basis. Again, I am new to this whole scene so please enlighten me. Do these mods kill daily driving in terms of comfort?

If you want to go the less intrusive route, 034 motor/trans and APR dogbone insert should add very little noise and vibration. Just be warned some people have broken 034 mounts with lots of launches.

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
If you want to go the less intrusive route, 034 motor/trans and APR dogbone insert should add very little noise and vibration. Just be warned some people have broken 034 mounts with lots of launches.
Thanks for the update.