GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY GTI (1.8t Tsi)

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I'd avoid the newsouth gauge, or at least the vent pod.

The bracket needs to be cut for the gauge to sit tightly in the pod, and the vent pod doesn't "click" into place. It sort of just sits there and relies on the vent trim to hold it in place.

Overall feels cheap. But I got it for like 80% off so I'm fine with it in the end.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
what did you use for a boost tap?

murtaza911

Ready to race!
It came with one. Little plastic nipple and some rubber tube.
Had to put a hole in the intake manifold.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Recent change: changed the gas pedal to something that makes it easier to blip the throttle and heel toe shift.
I installed the Razo RP81A. There is also a slightly larger pedal option (Razo RP82A) but I went with the smaller one. You can find it on Amazon.

It doesn't look the best, but it works pretty good and is cheap. Definitely need to get used to it though! I'm thinking of painting or plastidipping black.

First removed the pedal. This was incredibly easy. It's only a single torx screw and the wire connector at the top.

Next mount the new pedal on stop. It was pretty simple to mount. It came with some metal straps that go around the stock pedal. It is held on pretty firmly.

Finally mounted in the car (excuse the dirty/salty floor mats). I may adjust the height of the pedal a bit one day when I'm not feeling lazy. The pedal came with some spacers to make it closer to your foot (depth).

murtaza911

Ready to race!
It feels really good. I still need to get used to it (only drive the car about 30 min with it on). But I can simply roll my for a bit to the side tonblip the throttle.
It’s alao adjustable so I can space it out more if needed.

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
Last week a glass juice bottle shattered in my trunk and completely soaked my rear seats. I got the car detailed and seats were good as new, but I just couldn’t accept that my interior has been soiled. So I was on the hunt for a GTI interior. Today I Picked up a set of GTI seats.

I nicked a few plastic trim pieces trying to get the drivers seat in. Also nicked my rear passenger window and the tint is coming off. Need to get that tinted again :(. Apparently taking the headrests off makes gongs a million times easier. Figured that out way to late.
God damn I love these. Found a set local for $600CAD in great condition. I shouldn't be spending that kind of money right now, but how do I possibly pass on that deal after seeing yours installed?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

murtaza911

Ready to race!
God damn I love these. Found a set local for $600CAD in great condition. I shouldn't be spending that kind of money right now, but how do I possibly pass on that deal after seeing yours installed?

Wow, that is a great deal! I got mine for 800 and thought it was a steal. It's one of my favourite mods I've done! The seat hold you in much tighter with the larger bolsters. Plus they look great too :cool:.
Doooo it!

Also some changes happening soon. Didn't want to post anything until I got my car back. But got in a small accident couple weeks back..... Oops.:eek:

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, that is a great deal! I got mine for 800 and thought it was a steal. It's one of my favourite mods I've done! The seat hold you in much tighter with the larger bolsters. Plus they look great too :cool:.
Doooo it!

Also some changes happening soon. Didn't want to post anything until I got my car back. But got in a small accident couple weeks back..... Oops.:eek:

They disappeared while I was at work. I'm looking at this as a positive because as I stated, I really didn't need to spend the money right now.

Accidents happen to the best of us! Look forward to seeing what you have planned.

snekkerevensen

Car as it currently stands (build/progress updates below:

Mods:

Engine/Transmission
  • IS20 Turbo
  • BMS JB4 (map6@21PSI)
  • 3" Catless Downpipe
  • OEM GTI Catback exhaust
  • Ebay Intake (Injen SP Clone)
  • Golf R Intercooler
  • Boomba Racing BOV spacer
  • Clutch Delay valve Removal

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes
  • VWR Springs
  • 18x8.5 (ET 45) Rotiform LSR (cast 1 piece)
  • 230/40/18 Falken Fk453 tires
  • GTI PP Rear sway bar
  • 034 Dogbone mount

Exterior
  • 20% Window tint
  • OEM GTI rear valance
  • Eds Golf R Rep headlights + hylux 5500k HID kit
  • Folding mirrors (W/ Door modules from Golf R)
  • Black mirror caps
  • Gloss black vinyl front grill chrome strip
  • Shaved rear badges
  • EZ Lip
  • JCSportline JC-XP349 Carbon Fibre rear spoiler
  • USP Hatch Pop Kit
  • MK7.5 LED Tail lights (With JBale harness)

Interior
  • Euro switch + Light sensor
  • BFI Leather shift knob
  • Interior trim wrapped in 3M Carbon fiber vinyl
  • Badgeskins radio volume knob stickers (no more power button)
  • License plate LEDs
  • OEM Footwell light retrofit (LED)
  • GTI cloth "Clark" plaid interior
  • Razo RP81A Gas pedal

OBDEleven Tweaks
  • Gauge Needle Sweep
  • Hatch Pop
  • Mirror Dip
  • Fold mirrors on lock
  • Hot Country AC
  • Heated seat memory
  • Window up/down with remote
  • Enabled ESC Sport mode in Car settings
  • Ignition key/warning off
  • XDS Medium
  • Starting Vibration Reduction

---------------------------------------
I figured I'd make one of these build threads. I keep forgetting some of the stuff I've wasted my money on so this should be a good way to keep track.

I bought my self a 2016 Golf Tsi 1.8t in December. A base model 5 door, in white. It was great value for the money and I couldn't bring my self to spend ~10k more on a GTI (PP).
I test drove both, and honestly the GTI was great but I knew I could live with the Tsi, especially since I was coming from an MK4 VR6. I felt the Tsi was a great platform and lats of room to improve in the future.

About 2 months later, someone hit my car in a parking lot and ran away :mad:
It wasn't too bad, but it was almost $2500 in damages.

All fixed!

At this point I figured I might as well enjoy the car more since it's already been hit and it's all down hill from here. So start the modding!

I started with a set of ADR M-Classic wheels. These were a gift (FREE! :D), but unfortunately the wrong bolt pattern. The wheels are 5x114.3, 18x8.5 and a 73.1 mm hub, and 40 offset.

I got a set of wobble bolts from ebay, and a set of tires 230/45/18 and mounted them. Yikes! Look at that wheel gap!

Noticed the paint peeling from my front bumper, where it meets the drivers side fender. Contacted the dealer, they say VW should cover it. They took some pics, and waiting for a response.

Threw on a set of VWR springs. I used the 2x4 method, it went fairly smoothly. But I overtightened one of the bolts for the upper strut mount on the passenger side and ended up stripping that bolt. Had to get it drilled out and a new upper mount since it was making some noise.

Next, I decided to black out the badges on the rear using plast-dip. Didn't remove them, I just taped up the area and sprayed.

Then did the front grill.

And finally tinted my windows. 20%

Hey!
Do you got any tips on how to remove the chrome trim in the grill (upper and lower)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snekkerevensen

Nope sorry. I left it in when I plastidipped, and later re did in vinyl wrap.

Ah oki[emoji1417] What are your opinion on the best and easiest way to black em out, considering you have tried both methods? Im pretty new to this you see [emoji849] :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Well, If you only want to black out the chrome strip, then the vinyl wrap is really easy.

But if you want to black out the chrome VW logo as well, then the plasti dip spray is easy. However, it's a major pain to take off. I'll probably never use plasti dip again.