GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electric cars

Trainingwheels

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys the service guy at my VW dealership today was talking about the E-golf. (was waiting for service work on my GTI) What you all think about EVs, I'm not sure I would want till they have been main stream for a few years. Do you think they will be like phones where you have to update very few years or you will lose support? Thoughts?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Electric cars and digitized cars are two different things, and cars will be digitized regardless of if they become electric. I think car companies realize that unlike a phone when people buy a car they expect it to last 10 years, so I don't think they will be able to pull off the same thing phone companies have. That's at least for now, but I expect it to last as long as it will matter to me.

As far as electric cars, I can't wait for the next generation of batteries comes along to replace LiPo's. I think a light, electric GTI will be one of the most fun cars ever made.

Trainingwheels

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as electric cars, I can't wait for the next generation of batteries comes along to replace LiPo's. I think a light, electric GTI will be one of the most fun cars ever made.

Yeah I was looking at the Egolf online maybe someday it will be a fun little car.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Tesla constantly updates their cars over the air. They seem to have a good business model but I'm not confident they will survive over the long run, unless they can develop a much cheaper, more powerful battery that recharges in seconds. If China beats them to it, they're done.

I noticed the e-Golf battery lists for something like $14K. Electric and hybrid cars are not something I recommend. Looks like Prius' are worth half after only 3 years. Who's going to buy a 5-year-old one when the battery might last only 8 years, and a replacement costs $2000? Replacing the electric motor must be expensive, and you still have the controller to worry about. All on top of the conventional drivetrain. Will the car even run right with only the gas engine?

adam1991

Banned
You're being paranoid. The Priuses aren't at ALL doing what you claim. Worth only half after only 3 years? Bullshit.

Facts are facts.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You're being paranoid. The Priuses aren't at ALL doing what you claim. Worth only half after only 3 years? Bullshit.

Facts are facts.

Well, I just looked at a dealer's listings for a friend, local Toyota dealer, 2015's, 2 years, 11 months old, 44K miles, higher-line models, $15K. Battery is warranted for 8-years/100K from Toyota, rest of car 1-year, 12K miles. Figure the owner got $11K-$12K for trade at most, and the depreciation will accelerate, because who wants to risk spending thousands for a battery after 8-years or 100K? Perhaps they're good cars when new to lease. As you know, full electric batteries cost more than the car is worth after the warranty is up, even for rebuilt ones. Tesla's and similar high-end cars excepted of course. I guess when you're young, you naturally look at the world through rose-colored glasses.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
You're spreading uninformed FUD. The batteries aren't good for only 8 years/100K miles.

That much has been factually established.

You just want others to join you in your fantasy world of paranoia.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The Fed still isn't wrong about batteries degrading after a while though, and you can either deal with it or go for expensive replacement. From what I've seen though the data is showing battery degradation of no more than 10% after 100,000+ miles on the model s. We are on the verge of solid state batteries. I would be surprised if they aren't readily available in 10 years, and they should solve just about all of the problems we have right now. When that comes it will be pointless to buy anything but an electric car. I can't wait :D.

And for the record I don't consider hybrids to be in the same category as electric cars. With a few notable exceptions, to me they really seem to just get the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
Hybrids do exactly what they're tasked with: reliably helping to manage the energy of the gasoline that the system is given.

And the hundreds of thousands of Prius cars in the world, all running with no battery problems whatsoever, are a testament to how well it all works when done well.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You're spreading uninformed FUD. The batteries aren't good for only 8 years/100K miles.

That much has been factually established.

You just want others to join you in your fantasy world of paranoia.

Paranoia? What does not wanting to own something slow that's dependent on a depreciating power source have to do with mental deficiency? Did you get your facts from a poll? Study probability?

Trainingwheels

Passed Driver's Ed
What does not wanting to own something slow that's dependent on a depreciating power source have to do with mental deficiency? QUOTE]

I laughed way to hard at this. :)

adam1991

Banned
Paranoia? What does not wanting to own something slow that's dependent on a depreciating power source have to do with mental deficiency? Did you get your facts from a poll? Study probability?

I repeat: Hybrids do exactly what they're tasked with: reliably helping to manage the energy of the gasoline that the system is given.

And the hundreds of thousands of Prius cars in the world, all running with no battery problems whatsoever, are a testament to how well it all works when done well.

Don't change the subject. What YOU want to own was never the discussion. The discussion was the FUD you're spreading, pulling your "facts" out of thin air.

The question is, why do you care so much about what other people buy and drive that you feel the burning need to do that?

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
When they build these electric I will get one for run around and go to work vehicle. Just need sides to keep rain out.

Why we keep building 4 seat electric cars when most of us drive alone to work.

$29,900 each.
Big car company will need to make in quantity for cost to come down.

https://youtu.be/2zbBcuTtF4E

They also have a snow version. Photo shop picture only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Trainingwheels

Passed Driver's Ed
When they build these electric I will get one for run around and go to work vehicle. Just need sides to keep rain out.

Why we keep building 4 seat electric cars when most of us drive alone to work.

$29,900 each.
Big car company will need to make in quantity for cost to come down.

https://youtu.be/2zbBcuTtF4E

They also have a snow version. Photo shop picture only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That thing is bad ass.