GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autocross(ish) alignment

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I just installed VWR springs, so will be taking the car in for an alignment in a week or so. I don't have any plans to install camber plates or do much else to the suspension. Maybe a rear sway bar in the future.

Knowing there's not much to adjust in the front except toe, are there any alignment suggestions that might be helpful for autocross?..or should I just have it set to stock specs and call it a day.

I know the springs alone bump me to STX, but I was already getting whooped by a couple guys in GS. I might as well get beat in STX now. :p

SRoads

Ready to race!
Leave the front stock, for the rear have them set zero toe in the rear with 1.5 deg camber. If you still have issues with the rear rotating, reduce the camber to 1.2 deg in the rear. Stay in G stock if your not beating them, no one will notice you have vwr springs and are just running locally for fun.

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Depends on how anal locally the people are. If you are not competitive people won't notice...

I ran zero toe all the way around and last season I ran a bit of rear toe-out(~3mm combined). Makes DDing a bit annoying because the car wanders more one the road.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I don't think the local guys would worry about my springs, unless I started winning my class. On the other hand, I'm just out to have fun, so lt's not worth it to create bad blood if someone did get upset about it. In any case, STX would open up some other fun mods that I'd like to do (even if they don't really make the car any faster.)

I think I'll stay away from toe out though. I still daily the car 40 miles/day and it's also the family road trip car.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I drove probably 7000 miles out of the 9100 on the odo so far since I got the car in August with Toe-out in the rear....its not that bad, you just need to be aware of it. Nothing like its going to kill you or anything, but it just makes cruising on the highway a bit less relaxing with the wandering.

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
My current set up is:

Front: about -1.2* camber front (non-adjustable), -1.4mm toe on each side (toe out)

Rear: -2.5* camber, 0 toe.

Currently on H&R lowering springs with an ST Sway in the rear. Personally, I think the toe-out up front works better for track than autoX. I notice a substantial increase in ability to power out of corners without understeer, but turn in isn't quite as sharp.

Also, make sure you tune your tire pressures. I've been running 32F/34R on 225/40-18 PSS. Seems to perfectly hit the marker on the edge of the tread, and rotate the car a little better with slightly higher pressure in the rear.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Hmm. I need to get on this. There's a guy in our club that owns a performance shop and gives everyone quality race-oriented alignments at a good price, but he's closing down and moving out of town in the next few months. Trying to decide if I want to get the lower adjustable ball joints first.

SRoads

Ready to race!
My current set up is:

Front: about -1.2* camber front (non-adjustable), -1.4mm toe on each side (toe out)

Rear: -2.5* camber, 0 toe.

Currently on H&R lowering springs with an ST Sway in the rear. Personally, I think the toe-out up front works better for track than autoX. I notice a substantial increase in ability to power out of corners without understeer, but turn in isn't quite as sharp.

Also, make sure you tune your tire pressures. I've been running 32F/34R on 225/40-18 PSS. Seems to perfectly hit the marker on the edge of the tread, and rotate the car a little better with slightly higher pressure in the rear.
why the large amount of camber in the rear?