US-spec 2015 Volkswagen Golf and GTI to debut at NY auto show

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Press Release:

2015 Volkswagen Golf to Make its US Debut in New York

NYIAS Press Days: March 27 & 28

Three Golf versions will debut in New York

The 2015 Volkswagen Golf is bigger inside and out, lighter, more fuel efficient, and safer than the vehicle it replaces.

The seventh-generation Golf is the first Volkswagen to use the new MQB components matrix and will offer new safety features-such as collision avoidance and lane departure systems-as well as new engines and infotainment options.

At the New York International Auto Show, Volkswagen is debuting all three of the Golf versions that will go on sale next year: the entry-level TSI model; the thrifty TDI Clean Diesel; and the sporty GTI. The TSI and GTI use new versions of the EA888 turbocharged and direct-injected four-cylinder engine, while the TDI gets the new EA288 diesel engine.

The 2015 Golf will go on sale in the first half of 2014 and will be built at Volkswagen's Puebla, Mexico, factory.

Wow, thats awesome. I hope that we will finally get details, details, details! On sale date, expected deliveries, pricing, perhaps options as well? One can hope.

I've seen many places talk about the GTD being confirmed but perhaps VW will officially announce at the NY IAS. Anyways, all the places I've read it says its going to be anywhere from 6-12 months after the rest of the line up, so end of 2014 earliest it would appear.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Cryptic Release is Cryptic.

I'm expecting disappointment with the NA release of this, if what I'm hearing is true. Hopefully VWoA will come through.

krische

vdubber in training
Anyone else prepping themselves for disappointment as to what features get stripped for US market?

Who thinks the LSD is going to make it here?

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
It might since the cars are to be made in Mexico. I would think that *should* open up some extra options. Here's to being optimistic anyways...

Zach L

VR junkie
When is "bigger" going to stop being a good thing?

I would guess we get the 220hp or 230hp, but not both. VW's strategy with past GTIs was to decrease cost by making them more the same, and decreasing options/differences. For example, every Mk5 had xenon headlamps, and all Mk6 Golf R use the same gearbox. Of course that strategy doesn't mean as much anymore for cost savings since the new GTI will be built in Mexico... on second thought, maybe we'll get both??

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Anyone else prepping themselves for disappointment as to what features get stripped for US market?

Who thinks the LSD is going to make it here?

I think things are going to turn out for the worst.