Cheapest brake setup to handle track...

:D:D:D

EB, I agree that to some degree it's something to do with the
shape of the control arm. No reason to write home about. I'm
convinced all these air guides work properly. I wouldn't miss
to fit them.

I think we're a little off track...
Probably very true.

Anywho, the brakes are NOT the weakest point of the MK7 on the track... It is the wheel weight and the limitations of OE tires.
Yes and no. You're quicker with R comps and stock brakes for some time,
but while you're slow on stock tires, you still drive lap for lap, while stock
brakes are prone to damage sooner or later (esp. without ventilation).

I understand your point, but it is somewhat obtuse to bash EBC as a subpar brake pad in comparison to other brands.
Did I bash EBC in general? I suggested EBC Yellows.

In my opinion, using a track pad or a performance street pad without upgrading rotors is akin to using an aggressive aftermarket spring on a stock dampers.
Not in general. While certainly anyone running the more expensive
pads I mentioned will also run uprated (directional) rotors, I don't
think you'd necessarily need any with Yellows, MX-72s or MX-RSs
when you track say three times a year with limited stints and if
you do a sensible minimum on ventilation.

As I said before, the "EBC Hate Train" is a baseless and undeserved criticism spawned by uninformed consumers, just like the perpetual "why did my aftermarket spring blow out my OE strut?" complaint.
Well, I think I stated some comprehensible reasons.

Suggesting to the OP that a different brand of track pad wont wear out OE rotors is simply untrue.
Nobody said that. I only said you have less rotor wear with proper
quality endurance pads (such as RS29 and MA45B), which is matter
of fact. See what 2015WhiteGTI said.

Lobster

Ready to race!
Hey, I'm always prepared to eat crow.

I've only accumulated 5,000 miles on these EBC Reds (EBC being the only pads immediately available for the Performance Pack). I'll start a thread updating how these pads hold up.

AR11

Ready to race!
How would you guys rate the relative effectiveness of an under-car brake cooler like the ones shown above or TTRS style versus cutting a hole in the fog light delete (on a gti sport) and doing a bumper based cooling system? Obviously I would route the air to the brakes with a hose but I'm not sure how I'd attach the hose on the brake end of the hose.

While fitting and routing real ducts and hoses is the most
efficient brake ventilation, it's much more difficult to do,
as you'd need to direct that air into the bell of the brake
disc. There's simply virtually no space. Some have done
it, but be prepared remove the front and do some cutting.
It's way easier on a (RWD) car without drive axles on the
front and the calipers on the rear-facing side (like BMW
and Porsche), since there's much more space to accomo-
date that stuff.
Fitting TT air guides and pulling off the dust shields is dirt
cheap and easy by comparison.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I have used EBC Bluestuff with success. They bed quickly, and I don't see much sign of rotor wear. They do generate a ton of brake dust! Also, I have to change them out for each track weekend. I will leave them on the car after the track weekend until the next; they work fine on the street.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Bringing this back - ready to pull the trigger on brake ducts, fluid, pads, wheels/tires, but i cannot figure out which pads to go with. I am finding a lot of posts with EBC yellow stuff failing/falling apart after 1-2 track days, so I am a bit hesitant to go with them. I am also having trouble finding Pagid or Endless pads for non-PP application.

At the same time, reading a lot of posts saying that you should get dedicated track pads. Realistically, I am looking at 2 maybe 3 track days this year, so nothing serious. Still novice, so not sure if I need more braking as I won't be as good at brake control or if I need less because I won't be going as fast as I could be.

Slow*Jim

Ready to race!
Dedicated track pads... so you would swap them on/off before/after every track day? Sounds like a PITA for a daily driver.

Lighter cars like the GTI can get away with pads like Hawk HP+, EBC Yellow, Ferodo DS2500 as long as you swap to a high temp fluid like Motul 600 or Castrol SRF. With non-PP brakes I would probably not exceed 100mph on the straights if possible. If you are in HPDE1 or similar, there's no rule that says you have to max out your top speed on the straights.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I've tracked my cars 4-6 times each summer for over a decade and don't use dedicated pads/rotors. At that rate you're not looking for a competitive setup, you just need something that offers moderate braking torque, doesn't fade on track, and is moderately quiet on the street. Not to mention changing over brake setups at the track is rather annoying (albeit doable). If you later decide to get more competitive or join a sanctioned event, go for the dedicated setup so you can run a more aggressive pad.

I run the Endless MX72 on my non-pp along with DBA 4000 T3 rotors. I do have the part # for the MX72, but the box is at home and I'm not going to be there until tomorrow night. If you haven't found it by then, I'm happy to post it up.

With regards to the brand of pad, I can't help much. I haven't used EBC brake pads for years (green/red), but I do remember they were nothing special. The comparable MX72 or DS2500 pad is 3x the price of the comparable EBC or Hawk. I'm sure there's a good reason for that, besides supply/demand.

As for a good place to buy Endless pads, check out Nengun Performance. A few people on this site have ordered from them. They're expensive as all hell, but you know what they say ...

DAS_STIG

Banned
I did check out Nengun Performance, but they only had MKV and MKVI categories. I thought the MK7 had a different brake pad shape?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Not sure. I'll check the box when I'm back home and let you know what the part # is. Just don't have it in front of me at the moment

Chuckable

Ready to race!
FWIW, I ran Carbotech XP-8s on a Fiesta ST at PBIR and they were great. I like their product and support.

So many brake pad options out there, and everyone has different opinions on brake feel.

Hope you find something you like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow*Jim

Ready to race!
I used XP8's, EBC Yellow, and Hawk HP+ all on my daily driver 350z about 10 years ago at Mid Ohio. Tiny stock brakes, not the optional brembos, and no cooling. XP8's did great, HP+ and EBC Yellow were OK, all 3 squealed in street driving and dusted like crazy.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Got a group buy going for the prodigywerks 356mm kit currently. Would be a huge upgrade for you. $1831 shipped for their front kit in any of the 4 color offering.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Sounds good, thanks!

Np. Here's the side of the box. I'd flip Endless a quick email and confirm before ordering.

Attachments

• IMG_6157.jpg
    IMG_6157.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 248
Last edited: