GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

READ THIS!!! Tuning info 101

drrck

Go Kart Champion
If you want to get technical then you'd have to say no flash tunes void warranties. Which is technically true, but practically not the case. COBB flash tuning runs the same inherent risks of any flash tune. To say otherwise is simply not true.

Evil Minion

Ready to race!
Read the only sticky in this subforum. On the very first post there is a link that says "General Modding FAQ" and that basically explains everything.

I didn't mean this topic, I mean that specific method of searching using the "site:golfmk7.com" as part of the Google search string.

So point #4 in that sticky, instead of just saying "Thou shalt use the search function before making a thread." it should say "Thou shalt use Google search with site:golfmk7.com before making a thread."... or something like that lol.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
No need. If George or BMS publicly states here and on their website it can't ever be detected then fine. Even it it doesn't access the port or change flash counter it still shows maxed store data. You pop while having a jb4 connected running 4-5psi above stock you will get ECU checked and fail. They wont know JB4 did it BUT they will know a modification caused this. Already has happened. So it would be better to have a blanket disclaimer that none of the solutions guarantee your warranty as they modify or manipulate ECU data.

Also what part of PA?

I was always under the impression that whenever something happens with the JB4 plugged in, the ECU does a freeze frame but it sees all stock values.

And I am outside of Philly.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I was always under the impression that whenever something happens with the JB4 plugged in, the ECU does a freeze frame but it sees all stock values.

And I am outside of Philly.

I've assumed that modified values (Trims, boost, load, etc.) show as stock. I am sure that there are certain unmodified values that are stored as well, which could be used to void a warranty claim if VWOA chose to dig that deep.

No tune is safe from big brother. That's the safest assumption.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think that Gti Jake just loves being OP for threads on here. LOL

I would instead say "Use at your own risk as none of these options offer 100% guarantee of not voiding warranty nor do the manufacturers advertise them to be able to."

First off, what a school girl thing to say...sorry for writing worthwhile threads and helping people out? You've literally never done anything productive on this forum.

Also, I don't recall making any 100% claim about anything...

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ethics question:

Is it dishonest if you use the JB4, cause damage known to be associated with higher levels of power, and then try to make a warranty claim?

pieguy

Ready to race!
Ethics question:

Is it dishonest if you use the JB4, cause damage known to be associated with higher levels of power, and then try to make a warranty claim?

I don't think anybody with a conscience can say it's not dishonest. Doesn't mean everybody who goes the JB4 route won't do it. :rolleyes:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well that's between them and their conscience. I'm APR tuned and wouldn't let the dealership touch my car for anything, not even the recall for the evap canister...in my experience no dealer visit comes without damaging the car in one way or another

Hopefully everyone worried about warranty issues has seen that in my original post I simply referred everyone to the warranty 101 thread. I haven't made any suggestions or claims personally other than A: flash tunes and Cobb will void it B: piggyback modules won't C: see supplied link for more info

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I didn't mean this topic, I mean that specific method of searching using the "site:golfmk7.com" as part of the Google search string.

So point #4 in that sticky, instead of just saying "Thou shalt use the search function before making a thread." it should say "Thou shalt use Google search with site:golfmk7.com before making a thread."... or something like that lol.

Correct everyone knows the search feature on the forums are garbabe, but if you do it the google way stated above it works better.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I would not use the word "piggyback" in reference to the Cobb Accessport. The name just doesn't apply to it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Then as kind of a middle of the road option there's Cobb Accessport. It's like a flash tune, in that it'll void your warranty, loads OBD2, and comes preloaded with stage tunes. It's also like a piggyback since it can be removed and sold. As a big bonus feature Cobb AP can be used as a dyno tuning tool to custom tune your car, or "protune" by sending logged real world data from your personal car to a tuner, who can use that info to write a specific tune matching your setup.

Well, I didn't call it a piggyback at all. I stated the ways that's it's similar to both a flash tune and a piggyback in different aspects

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Well, you call it a "...middle of the road option...", and then "It's also like a piggyback..." That will most likely confuse the reader who has no knowledge of any of them.

It's no different than APR/UM/Uni/etc. It's like those and better is what you should say - because you can do it in the comfort of your own garage (with several other benefits such as having a scan tool and meter). But in the end, it's a full on flash tune just like APR and the like. You should list Cobb and Unitronic, and Eurodyne, and the others that can - as tunes that have the option to buy the tool to do it yourself and not rely on driving to a dealer.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I think that Gti Jake just loves being OP for threads on here. LOL One thing to mention which you should edit is that JB4 does leave a footprint. Also Cobb does not void your warranty, I don't want to get into debate why it doesn't, I would just omit that part and not say or reference to that is does or doesn't. I will mention for JB4 that max values are stored on the ECU just as an FYI so it is detectable when SHTF even if ports weren't accessed or flash counters changed.

A disclaimer should be used in this thread, and most certainly other places for all tunes/piggbacks as I see many people state this about JB4. I would instead say "Use at your own risk as none of these options offer 100% guarantee of not voiding warranty nor do the manufacturers advertise them to be able to."

How would the ECU know if it is being changed post ECU? Doesn't make sense