GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catback recommendations with APR DP?

Raegar

Ready to race!
You'll need to order the clamp since the OEM cat back is one single piece.
You do NOT need to order the OEM clamp.

1. You either cut ur OEM axelback and solder the CSS one in (a muffler shop can do that for 40-50 bucks)
2. You use a generic clamp which does the exact same thing as long as the diameter is the same.

I know people need peace of mind because they care about their cars so they end up orering a 30 dollar clamp when a generic costs 10. I say this because I did it...it's still around the house. My CSS is soldered on there now and I am NOT removing it til car's sold =)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Put it like this, the AWE Touring system is louder with a aftermarket downpipe then the track system is with the stock downpipe.

But its the opposite according to AWE. This is the note i found in their webpage:

From civil to disobedient:
Touring Edition with factory downpipe
Touring Edition with Performance Downpipe
Track Edition with factory downpipe
Track Edition with Performance Downpipe

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
But its the opposite according to AWE. This is the note i found in their webpage:

From civil to disobedient:
Touring Edition with factory downpipe
Touring Edition with Performance Downpipe
Track Edition with factory downpipe
Track Edition with Performance Downpipe
Hmmm...
That's interesting.
I've always thought that the track with factory downpipe was quieter than the touring with performance downpipe.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Hmmm...

That's interesting.

I've always thought that the track with factory downpipe was quieter than the touring with performance downpipe.

I was thinking the same as you before i came across this one.

Iam trying to figure why would someone spend more money on AWE DP with Touring exhaust when you can get more noise with stock DP and Track exhaust.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I was thinking the same as you before i came across this one.

Iam trying to figure why would someone spend more money on AWE DP with Touring exhaust when you can get more noise with stock DP and Track exhaust.

There are actually times I wish it was quieter so if that is indeed the case that's very good news :D

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
There are actually times I wish it was quieter so if that is indeed the case that's very good news :D

Its the opposite for me. I have Track exhaust with stock DP and i want a louder exhaust note. So thinking about adding a downpipe.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

Well, people don't only buy the DP for sound. Many, such as myself, want to eventually go stage 2.

Its the opposite for me. I have Track exhaust with stock DP and i want a louder exhaust note. So thinking about adding a downpipe.

Same here but I can't deal with alot of drone. If it sounds like a damn muffler delete civic, I'm throwing the resonator on right away.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Well, people don't only buy the DP for sound. Many, such as myself, want to eventually go stage 2.

Yes that makes sense now.

Same here but I can't deal with alot of drone. If it sounds like a damn muffler delete civic, I'm throwing the resonator on right away.

Which DP are you planning to go with. Let us know your review once you add it to your setup.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Most people who have the AWE Track end up converting it to Touring after they add a downpipe due to the drone and overall loudness. The downpipe really does add a lot of sound.

Yeah i see this comment in most threads.

I don mind the loudness but wanted to get the first hand opinion about drone from someone who went through this.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Most people who have the AWE Track end up converting it to Touring after they add a downpipe due to the drone and overall loudness. The downpipe really does add a lot of sound.

I second that, the downpipe added a lot of noise, much more than I was expecting originally. The biggest downside is it does introduce some drone too. So going with an resonated aftermarket catback or upgrading the OEM resonator after a DP is a must. Unless drone is your thing of course :). I went the route of upgrading the resonator as it was cheaper and it worked out extremely well, it should be noted that the Vibrant resonator I chose not only killed the drone but removed the rasp from the tone as well. So that may not be for you, for me I really like the more refined sound. If I was going with a catback I probably would have chose the AWE Touring as they do sound really sweet.

Vobs56

Ready to race!
If you're doing most of this work yourself, why not do something with the catback/muffler first, see how it is after a decent amount of mileage then upgrade the resonator if you don't like it. Obviously it might not be the most financially economical route if you're relying on a shop and have to go back to upgrade the resonator but that's the route I'm going. I ordered my CSS muffler from cars 245 then I'm going to let it set in and see how I feel about it then go with a Vibrant resonator if needed. Thanks Derushi for recommending the CSS muffler. The value seems amazing since it provides the sound of a catback but allows me to allocate more of my mod budget towards new wheels and tires and eventually the is38/stage 3 upgrade next year!

Vobs56

Ready to race!

This is totally off-topic, but I checked out your build thread. How did you clear out your headlights? Do you have a thread for that DIY/mod? I tried partial laminex and was very displeased with the appearance so I just scrapped it all lol.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
This is totally off-topic, but I checked out your build thread. How did you clear out your headlights? Do you have a thread for that DIY/mod? I tried partial laminex and was very displeased with the appearance so I just scrapped it all lol.

Oh, that's just edited out via photoshop lol! I tried Lamin-X as well and it just looked strange... I've kept mine as is.

Vobs56

Ready to race!
Oh, that's just edited out via photoshop lol! I tried Lamin-X as well and it just looked strange... I've kept mine as is.

Haha nice. I guess I should have read the build thread in more detail huh? lol It's not a big deal having the orange markers but now that I made note of it I have keyed into it and now it's all I notice right now lol. Too bad the euro golf r headlight set is like $1200.