GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel rubbing help

grogan

I've currently got 19 x 8.5 ET45 wheels on my GTD with 235/35/19 tyres.. I really like the look of the 19s so I didn't really want to go smaller. However, it's come to the stage where I can't hack the wheel rub anymore.. the car is lowered on eibach springs.. I'm sure I've noticed guys with 19s and the VWR springs fitted with no issues of rubbing.. can anyone out there with VWR and 19s give me some advice as I don't really want to change the wheels but Lately I'm really considering going back to 18s. I do plan on changing to VWR springs as I've heard good reviews and I feel the back sits quite high compared to the front with current set up. I don't really want to shell out for new wheels as if a change of spring can sort that rubbing on the front out. Cheers chris.
https://ibb.co/dZ8ah5
https://ibb.co/nLaMN5
https://ibb.co/cV5SvQ

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
I've currently got 19 x 8.5 ET45 wheels on my GTD with 235/35/19 tyres.. I really like the look of the 19s so I didn't really want to go smaller. However, it's come to the stage where I can't hack the wheel rub anymore.. the car is lowered on eibach springs.. I'm sure I've noticed guys with 19s and the VWR springs fitted with no issues of rubbing.. can anyone out there with VWR and 19s give me some advice as I don't really want to change the wheels but Lately I'm really considering going back to 18s. I do plan on changing to VWR springs as I've heard good reviews and I feel the back sits quite high compared to the front with current set up. I don't really want to shell out for new wheels as if a change of spring can sort that rubbing on the front out. Cheers chris.

https://ibb.co/dZ8ah5

https://ibb.co/nLaMN5

https://ibb.co/cV5SvQ

I have the same issue with my GTD, running VWR springs.

Interested to learn what tyres you are running Chris? ...as part of the I question raised about rubbing, this maybe down to tyre profile & curvature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EShadowbrook

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running 235/35/19 with VWR springs. I don't have any issues with rubbing. Have you done the Fender Screw Mod? If not, that should be your first step to alleviate slight rubbing

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm running 235/35/19 with VWR springs. I don't have any issues with rubbing. Have you done the Fender Screw Mod? If not, that should be your first step to alleviate slight rubbing

^^^ very interesting.

I've done the Fender Screw Mod, and it did improve a lot, but still suffer.

What are your wheel dimensions, including offset...?

EShadowbrook

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^ very interesting.

I've done the Fender Screw Mod, and it did improve a lot, but still suffer.

What are your wheel dimensions, including offset...?

19x8.5 et42.

Are you still on the stock struts? If so, how long have you been running lowering springs and stock struts?

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
19x8.5 et42.

Are you still on the stock struts? If so, how long have you been running lowering springs and stock struts?

Yeah, I'm still on the stock struts. Had springs and wheels fitted in June this year.

It probably has something to do with both wheel width (8.5") and the sidewall shape of the tyre
(Dunlop SportMaxx RT?).
If you don't want to go for an 8.0" wheel width and/or different tyre (Conti SC5P/SC6 tend to
run narrower) then your only options are the fender screw mod and slightly pulling your fenders.
Fitting CSS swivels should help too, but that'd be a crazyly expensive mod. However FIRST I'd
assess where exactly it's rubbing.

grogan

I have the same issue with my GTD, running VWR springs.

Interested to learn what tyres you are running Chris? ...as part of the I question raised about rubbing, this maybe down to tyre profile & curvature.

I'm running Khumo PS91 on the fronts as of a few weeks ago and they are considerably worse than my previous SportMaxx RT's that i had on. The SportMaxx RT's did rub slightly when driving on rough roads, however these Khumos are rubbing for the fun of it lol. They do look a lot more flat walled than the RT's which seemed a lot more curved.

Is the fender screw mod just removing that screw that sits at the top of the inside arch?

grogan

It probably has something to do with both wheel width (8.5") and the sidewall shape of the tyre
(Dunlop SportMaxx RT?).
If you don't want to go for an 8.0" wheel width and/or different tyre (Conti SC5P/SC6 tend to
run narrower) then your only options are the fender screw mod and slightly pulling your fenders.
Fitting CSS swivels should help too, but that'd be a crazyly expensive mod. However FIRST I'd

As far as i can tell, it seems to be where the top fender screw is on the inside of the arch.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm running Khumo PS91 on the fronts as of a few weeks ago and they are considerably worse than my previous SportMaxx RT's that i had on. The SportMaxx RT's did rub slightly when driving on rough roads, however these Khumos are rubbing for the fun of it lol. They do look a lot more flat walled than the RT's which seemed a lot more curved.

Is the fender screw mod just removing that screw that sits at the top of the inside arch?

And removing washer and tucking liner over lip.

Last edited:

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
And reviving washer and tucking liner over lip.

Many thanks for posting this.

...I'm going to check my fender screw tomorrow, and ensure they have pushed up the liner properly as per video.

This noise is greater on my NSF (uk). I hardly get any OSF, I've put this down to the condition of the roads near to the curb.

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
(Dunlop SportMaxx RT?).

I'm running 'Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R'. You have raised a very valid point, regarding the Continental tyres. When I viewed them physically for the first time on a demo car, it was running SC5P as I photographed here on my phone.

As mentioned in my post above this one, I'll check, and ensure the workshop pushed the liner up correctly, and hopefully see something.

Fingers crossed.

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I've found the issue.

Rather than pushing up the liner, and placing it above the screw lug/bracket, where the screw fixes. It looks like when they did the screw mod, they cut out part of the wheel arch liner.

This is in the same area of the fender screw, which I now think my liner is sitting lower, hence the rubbing...

This is a rubbish photo, as I struggled to get good light under the wheel arch.

You can see the arch liner has developed a little burr...