GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
I'm thinking about getting this same kit! Please post a review after installation!

Will do, I am really excited to get this on the car. It will not be this weekend but I will have it on the following weekend. I plan on putting a bunch of miles on it and I will write a detailed review for all interested!

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Can someone explain to me why the Strut Bearings, being just a plastic piece with no moving parts and a metal plate on the bottom, can cause soo much clunking noise after lowering your car?

I just don't see how replacing this piece will resolve the issues some people are having with clunking noises after doing a coilover install? Is it the strut bearing causing the clunking or the strut mounts?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Can someone explain to me why the Strut Bearings, being just a plastic piece with no moving parts and a metal plate on the bottom

Well that's where your wrong.....it's packed with bearings in the middle and when you turn the steering wheel that's the pivot point for the strut/knuckle/wheel assembly to turn on

So it DOES move/rotate

As for them clunking....I'm not 100% sure about that, I believe that's usually the mounts, but it is DEFINITELY something that needs to be replaced when swapping springs or installing new suspension.
Especially for the low cost

AR11

Ready to race!
The strut bearing is the easiest culprit -- I think it gets more blame than it deserves. If you end up with noise immediately after changing suspension parts I'm willing to bet that the noise either relates to one of the modified parts or some sort of install error. I imagine some people replace the strut bearing and the noise goes away but really its just because they did a more careful install that second time around (most likely torqued the top nut harder or seated the spring in the perch better etc.).

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
My car developed a clunking sound when going over speed bumps a few months after my first install. The YouTube video is here: https://youtu.be/rCsm41K6_YQ. Not sure if your clunking is the same? I ended up changing the mounts and the bearings (and everything else) and it went away. Everything seemed okay when I took it apart so not sure what was wrong exactly (everything was torqued down etc)...but guessing the mount and/or bearing, especially since other people, who I believe have stock suspensions, have commented on having the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Can someone explain to me why the Strut Bearings, being just a plastic piece with no moving parts and a metal plate on the bottom, can cause soo much clunking noise after lowering your car?

I just don't see how replacing this piece will resolve the issues some people are having with clunking noises after doing a coilover install? Is it the strut bearing causing the clunking or the strut mounts?

edit: referencing the " h&r sport springs GTI" video referenced several posts earlier.

the guy in the youtube video has a possible explanation for you. He explains why it's important to remove the bearings with care and what can happen if you don't.

It's a nice video. When I installed camber plates (which came with their own sealed upper bearing), I painter's tape wrapped the bearings to keep them together, before removal:

Last edited:

njavier03

Ready to race!
I got new bearings and kept the OE mounts. I don't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR11

Ready to race!
edit: referencing the " h&r sport springs GTI" video referenced several posts earlier.

the guy in the youtube video has a possible explanation for you. He explains why it's important to remove the bearings with care and what can happen if you don't.

It's a nice video. When I installed camber plates (which came with their own sealed upper bearing), I painter's tape wrapped the bearings to keep them together, before removal:

Interesting point about the bearings. Over the life of the 2 mk7 I've had I definitely encountered one bearing that had especially noticeable play between what appear to be the upper and lower races of the bearing, though I'm fairly certain no ball bearings were lost.

I'm especially interested in these bearings because there is so much talk of bearing issues and yet so little known/explored in terms of the cause of failure and what the failure looks like. I'm hoping that people with bad bearings will start to crack them open and photograph the internals so we, the internet, can see what is going on, whether the bearing tracks are scored, or things or bent, bearings missing, etc etc.

Edit: this concept of rough handling being the cause of failure makes perfect sense because the recurring story on the forums is always "I have 5k miles on my car and now I have noise after XYZ install".

I second that. I'd love to see more details about the reasons. My guess is that
these bearings are either dimensioned too small or poorly lubricated or both. ;)
Poor seals would further increase the issue.

I got new bearings and kept the OE mounts. I don't have any issues.
That's the reasonable minimum approach I use to recommend for some years.

:)

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Subscribing

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
Are we sure the strut pinch bolts are stretch bolts? I've never seen a stretch bolt that didn't have an unthreaded bridge where the actual stretch occurs. The stretch isn't supposed to happen in the threaded areas. Now the torque setting has the typical +90 stretch bolt parameter, but I'm thinking this has to do more with the flex of the pinching mount than the bolt.

Just a thought as I'm staring at a new set of "stretch' pinch bolts.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Are we sure the strut pinch bolts are stretch bolts? I've never seen a stretch bolt that didn't have an unthreaded bridge where the actual stretch occurs. The stretch isn't supposed to happen in the threaded areas. Now the torque setting has the typical +90 stretch bolt parameter, but I'm thinking this has to do more with the flex of the pinching mount than the bolt.

Just a thought as I'm staring at a new set of "stretch' pinch bolts.

Come on man...does it matter? They're only $5 of stretch bolts, when you're spending hundreds on springs or coilovers or whatever....a drop in the bucket

Replace them or don't replace them, it's your car/call

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Come on man...does it matter? They're only $5 of stretch bolts, when you're spending hundreds on springs or coilovers or whatever....a drop in the bucket

This...

Stretch bolts, ie. torque to yield bolts are in expensive. I'm always SMH when folks want to reuse these bolts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed

As I mentioned I already bought new bolts, but looking at them they don't appear to be stretch bolts. Safety is one thing but just trying to expand the conversation as they do not have the characteristics of a stretch bolt.