GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ODIS and SVM code

rafikiraf

Ready to race!
Does anyone know how svm code work.
I have VW retrofit equipment and as last step of instruction it says to connect car to odis and execute svm code. Is provided with part svm code automatically change adaptation channels in bcm or it is just code that will allow technicians to manually input adaptation channels value.
I have mk7.5 led taillights bought as set in Europe with additional wire harness and vw installation manual included with lights guide you step by step installation with last step SVM code. There is no bcm channels value information just request to run svm code in odis system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Did you do a VCDS scan and get a "Please Check Software Version Management" fault message?

Last edited:

rafikiraf

Ready to race!
No. I did not install taillights yet. I have euro led mk7 version installed as of now with extra wire harness so the car is wired same as euro version. Dynamic taillights set bought at vw dealership in Poland comes with additional harness I have to put from bcm to the back of the car. I am planning to do it this month and was wondering if dealership here in US can code them same as euro cars. Manual provide svm code to run after installation and I am curious if svm code makes any coding changes or only enable technicians to manually make changes in adaptation channels. Manual states that svm code can me run only once per vehicle.

So in the preparation for taillights installation I am trying to get extra knowledge how ODIS works.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I read the page you are referring to. I also don't understand how ODIS can tell which channel to adapt.

A dealer here might be able to do it but I don't think any will chance bricking your car. I'll send you a PM with an email for someone who might know. You might be able to do it yourself with VCDS since you already have the code. But I think you need to know the channel.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
This is my understanding. ODIS hooks up to the mother-ship at VW, then based on SVM code and VIN will make applicable changes to all the applicable adaptations and coding for the install. It will only work if you have ODIS and a VW account. Recommend you try to find out what adaptation channels and if there are coding changes and do them yourself using Vagcom or OBD11, one at a time.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/usa/volkswagen/files/VWSVM.pdf

Last edited:

rafikiraf

Ready to race!
I wonder if someone in Europe pick their mk7.5 golf r or gti with dynamic turn signal and can share bcm adaptation channels. I would take my time to compare them.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is my understanding. ODIS hooks up to the mother-ship at VW, then based on SVM code and VIN will make applicable changes to all the applicable adaptations and coding for the install. It will only work if you have ODIS and a VW account. Recommend you try to find out what adaptation channels and if there are coding changes and do them yourself using Vagcom or OBD11, one at a time.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/usa/volkswagen/files/VWSVM.pdf

I found a website that showed you can do it yourself with VCDS for certain adaptations, but there was no mention of this particular one. The main factor was knowing the code. Since he already has it I think all he needs to know is the channel. An ROW member with similar tails might be able to look through their channels with VCDS for the code. That could pinpoint which channel to change. My feeling is the module already has the programming on it, you just need to know how to access it, like you do for VCDS tweaks. You need VW for updates but I don't think for something like this.