GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trump wants to stop Germans from selling so many cars here—where they're made.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
It's kind of funny that the Ford Focus RS is made in Germany and the GTI is made in Mexico lol

Which is just one of the ways in which a simplistic view of trade, like our current administration seems to have, is grotesquely out of tune with reality.

The entire cultural perspective on the auto industry in the USA is based on the experience of what economic historians now call the "magic economy," those few decades after WWII where Detroit had, in effect, a captive market, a virtual monopoly, and because of massive profits the ability to accept an unprecedented level of blue-collar labor compensation and benefits. The whole thing was artificial as hell, and when any thing disrupted the magic--OPEC, globalization, environmental issues, whatever--the entire house of cards came crashing down.

Kudos to Detroit for finally getting their shit together after some really tough times (mostly self inflicted) and making, now, competitive products. But their problems today are not pernicious foreigners, it's still their own legacy demons they are fighting as well as the rapidly changing consumer landscape. Detroit automakers were never good at shifting gears (hah!) because, for decades, they simply didn't have to. The Japanese and Germans and now Koreans, though, are much more used to changing their tactics and approaches, though some of the old guard here (Toyota, Honda) eventually became so successful they, too, started to show signs of stodginess.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
That's giving entirely too much credit to the Japanese. The entire US auto industry was based on the "magic economy" of the post-war years. No competition, dirt-cheap oil, and a vast market of consumers with wages artificially boosted by the above and the window where unions were able to actually get workers great deals on pay and benefits. It was, fundamentally, unsustainable, especially in a global economy, but even without globalization it would have collapsed with the first oil crisis in the early 1970s.

WWII gave the US a false sense of the durability of the mass production industrial economy. In reality, by the 1960s that model of economics was already gone with the wind.

I agree. They merely filled a void. The US was making big, heavy, unreliable gas guzzlers. Honda came in with a small fuel-efficient car that ran until it rusted into a heap of scrap. But the drivetrain still worked.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
?Ditto this, although I did learn to ride on a Honda 70 in 1970!

There was a store that rented Honda 50's and 90's by the hour in my part of my city then. The 90's were more expensive so my friends and I rented 50's. Lots of fun then. I bought a Suzuki X-6 Hustler a few years later.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I think it's great that you all recall or know about these topics, regardless of conclusions [emoji122]

alderran1

Ready to race!
I kind of feel bad for buying a nazi car made in mexico. I should have gotten a mustang or a camaro. But Trump doesn't have the power to change that he's just talking shit. I think that's why so many people love/hate him. He just says it no filter