GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Rabid Skunk

Here it is summer about to begin and I'm here putting advance thought about winter tires for my MK7. Of course I'm going for the idea of getting extra rims to keep them on so it's just a simple thing to swap wheels rather than having the whole tire changed off the rims.
Thought about just getting chains instead.

Redleg02

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Here it is summer about to begin and I'm here putting advance thought about winter tires for my MK7. Of course I'm going for the idea of getting extra rims to keep them on so it's just a simple thing to swap wheels rather than having the whole tire changed off the rims.
Thought about just getting chains instead.

If you're in Erie like your profile says, I'd definitely go with at least another set of tires, ideally on a different set of wheels. Winter tires will help when the roads are dry but cold and give you much better grip than all seasons will provide.

Rabid Skunk

If you're in Erie like your profile says, I'd definitely go with at least another set of tires, ideally on a different set of wheels. Winter tires will help when the roads are dry but cold and give you much better grip than all seasons will provide.

Thanks, I actually live south of Erie in the snow belt. Been driving all wheel drive vehicles for years on all season tires and they don't really work as good in snow even with all wheel drive.
Thanks for your advice. So I'll be looking for the rims first then, hoping rims from an older VW Golf should work on my current model. Then the big cost will be the tires and pressure sensors to put on those rims.

Redleg02

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Thanks, I actually live south of Erie in the snow belt. Been driving all wheel drive vehicles for years on all season tires and they don't really work as good in snow even with all wheel drive.
Thanks for your advice. So I'll be looking for the rims first then, hoping rims from an older VW Golf should work on my current model. Then the big cost will be the tires and pressure sensors to put on those rims.

Remember, with the MK7 you don't need sensors for the TPMS to work. If you don't have the PP, any VW wheel from the last 10 years or so should work.

chas083

I have a 2017 GTI with standard 225 40 18" /7.5" x 18" wheel set up. Will my wheels from my 2012 VW CC (18x8") with 225x45x18 Michelin x-Ice3 work on the GTI?

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I've always run Bridgestone Blizzak tires, and I've been very happy. They are very soft, and are great in the snow. Be very aware of the speed rating on snow tires. Some snow tires can have speed ratings at low as 84mph. You do not want to go flying down the highway with snow tires on!

Another point I'll mention, my Blizzak have seemed to last a long time. I run them about 5 months a year, and I've had the same set since 2010 and there is still a ton of tread left. They almost look new still. Very happy with them

lokerola

Ready to race!
I put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA 4's on the stock wheels in the winter. I sold the all-seasons and put Pirelli P Zero Nero summer tires on in the spring.

The Michelin's work great in cold, wet, slushy weather. It didn't snow very much in DC last year, so I didn't get to test much in the snow (other than a few light dustings and 1-2"). But they really feel good in the very cold weather.

While I like the winter/summer tire combo, I might go to Conti DSW06 all-seasons after the current tires wear out. Switching the tires is a pain in the a@@ (and wallet).

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I put Michelin Pilot Alpin PA 4's on the stock wheels in the winter. I sold the all-seasons and put Pirelli P Zero Nero summer tires on in the spring.

The Michelin's work great in cold, wet, slushy weather. It didn't snow very much in DC last year, so I didn't get to test much in the snow (other than a few light dustings and 1-2"). But they really feel good in the very cold weather.

While I like the winter/summer tire combo, I might go to Conti DSW06 all-seasons after the current tires wear out. Switching the tires is a pain in the a@@ (and wallet).

If you get a second set of wheels, especially cheap used ones and put your snow tires on that then that saves you some wallet hassle ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcdubs417

Passed Driver's Ed
I know this sounds like a bit much, but is anyone running 3 sets of wheels/tires throughout the year? I live in northern Vermont and am an avid skier. Looks like some 17s with snow tires would make sense so I can get to the ski hill on powder days. I currently have stock wheels with performance all terrains and am burning the tires in the first few gears (APR tuned is38), so I’m considering some light weight wheels with some stickier tires for the summer. This would leave me with the stock wheels and performance all terrains that I could throw on if I know I’m just comuting around or going on a long distance trip. It feels like this might be over kill, but didn’t know if anyone else is in a similar situation. Also does anyone use the performance winters? Winter tires are mandatory up here, but I’ve never really heard of performance oriented ones. Although I’m driving in the snow quite a bit during a typical winter, it would be nice to have some traction when the roads are dried and cleared.

lokerola

Ready to race!
If you get a second set of wheels, especially cheap used ones and put your snow tires on that then that saves you some wallet hassle ..

True. I might bite the bullet and buy some wheels.

Jrho

Would the following fit a 2017 golf R?

Sport Edition P4 17inch x 7.5. 45mm offset with WinterContact SI 225/45R17 94H XL

Flound a set that was used only one winter for three months

Thanks for the help

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Would the following fit a 2017 golf R?

Sport Edition P4 17inch x 7.5. 45mm offset with WinterContact SI 225/45R17 94H XL

Flound a set that was used only one winter for three months

Thanks for the help

Yeah that’ll fit as long as the bolt pattern is right