GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I can't do it!!!!!!

iMk7

Ahhhhhh!

Long story short, I'm getting rid of my 370z. Just impractical and my dog doesn't fit. I really wanted a practical DD with a soul and not something like a Yaris. I became interested in the GTI, but eeeeeeeeevery single person I know pushed me away due to "reliability" issues. So I looked else where. Focus ST, fiesta ST, WRX (2nd strongest option but the interior is sad in comparison), STI (over budget but fun to test drive anyway lol)... hell at some point I even looked at the new civic hatch. But I just-can't-do it.. I love the GTI styling, refinement, and overall feel of the car. Everything else in the market feels underwhelming. But I also can't grow a pair to buy one because of all the negativity around them! I feel like I need an emergency car fun in case it breaks lol.

I apologize because im sure this has been posted before, I guess it's more of me venting. My 370z has been such POS that I'm a tad traumatized at the thought of switching over to more problems again. Any words of encouragement?.. and maybe something good to throw back at every negative person lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
but eeeeeeeeevery single person I know pushed me away due to "reliability" issues.

They Own GTI's then or just talking total bollocks? What issues do they think the GTI has?

iMk7

They Own GTI's then or just talking total bollocks? What issues do they think the GTI has?

In all honesty I'm sure they're talking out of their a** they say they know someone's who's had one and it was just bad. I try pushing the same question and ask what problems but they give me the "it'll fall apart and cost you an arm and a leg before you know it" I just never know what to say and almost end up believing it at. Agh!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
all german cars carry that baggage that all repairs cost a fortune.

The GTI is now plagued by its predecessor which had the water pump, camshaft follower, and timing chain tensioner issues, which all unfortunately cost a TON if they failed (catastrophic engine failure).

But the new generation engine in the 2015+ cars has none of those issues and no major flaws to speak of at this point. Besides a few fried clutches and turbos (most of which I would associate to poor driving habits), I really haven't seen any issues on here.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Google "ringland" before you go purchase your trouble-free WRX.

And google "broken transmission" before you go purchase your trouble-free Focus ST. I owned an ST, and while my transmission didn't break, I can tell you that the paint was super thin and chippy (GTI paint is like a Rolls Royce in comparison), body panel fit all over the car was terrible, and the car went into limp mode one day and Ford replaced a faulty wiring harness to fix it.

I'm surprised to hear you had so many issues with the 370Z. They are built in Japan, which is supposed to be the Mecca for auto quality.

iMk7

Google "ringland" before you go purchase your trouble-free WRX.

And google "broken transmission" before you go purchase your trouble-free Focus ST.

Wow i had no idea they had that issue. Especially when you consider the price tag of the STI. The WRX however has the FA20DIT I believe which so far seems to be doing well I believe?

iMk7

How much can you guys say I'd be able to haggle the price down from the MSRP? I'd like the performance package due to the LDS but it would be hard to pass up a good deal on the base model.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Wow i had no idea they had that issue. Especially when you consider the price tag of the STI. The WRX however has the FA20DIT I believe which so far seems to be doing well I believe?

I'm not sure honestly. For their sake, I hope they've fixed it.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
How much can you guys say I'd be able to haggle the price down from the MSRP? I'd like the performance package due to the LDS but it would be hard to pass up a good deal on the base model.

There are certainly deals to be had on VWs. I live near probably the best market in the country for VWs: Washington DC. Typical good deals around here are ~$6K off msrp. I got mine last summer for $6.2 off msrp. I don't think the deals are quite as good elsewhere, but I'd still shoot for at least half of that, if not more. Start with TrueCar to get an idea, and also pick the brain of folks in the SoCal subforum. There are a TON of CA people on here.

iMk7

I'm not sure honestly. For their sake, I hope they've fixed it.

I've been lurking on the wrx forums and it seems like their biggest fear is carbon buildup on the new engine. The car just felt bad during the test drive. The stock tune is crap, it was very underwhelming. A tune can fix it but I don't want to feel like I need a tune before I've even bought the car.

iMk7

There are certainly deals to be had on VWs. I live near probably the best market in the country for VWs: Washington DC. Typical good deals around here are ~$6K off msrp. I got mine last summer for $6.2 off msrp. I don't think the deals are quite as good elsewhere, but I'd still shoot for at least half of that, if not more. Start with TrueCar to get an idea, and also pick the brain of folks in the SoCal subforum. There are a TON of CA people on here.

I'm jealous lol.
I don't think I can see those number in LA county, I think I'll try sending out a few emails as far north of California and in between to see what deals I can land. I would mind a good road trip!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If your concern is reliability and you want a safety net, get a GTI, keep it stock and get an extended warranty either through your insurance (Geico offers this) or through dealer/3rd party.

That being said, the difference between the least reliable and most reliable car is not like it was in the early 2000's. To put it in perspective, look at the jd power dependability study from 2003 vs 2016.

The most reliable make in 2003 is merely the industry average now. So your GTI today is more reliable than your Lexus / Toyota / Honda from 2000

Attachments

• img20170424_083231.jpg
    img20170424_083231.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 412
  • 2016_vds_rank_1.jpg
    2016_vds_rank_1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 401