GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39328

Is this deal too good for me to pass up? I know some pop up closer to 350, but usually have 10k miles or more. I'll be getting one regardless, its just a matter of when.
Mileage is really good, and 350-400 bucks tends to be the right range for these turbos. Only real question I would have is which revision this is20 is, as it's generally a good idea to shoot for a 722. For reference I paid $400 for my turbo with about 14k miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

joofcorn

Ready to race!
06K 145 874 L, I've not actually seen 874 revisions. Based on some quick searches, looks like that part number may be from the audis. Anyone know anything about that revision?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
06K 145 874 L, I've not actually seen 874 revisions. Based on some quick searches, looks like that part number may be from the audis. Anyone know anything about that revision?
Hrm, can't say I'm familiar with the 874's either, but the L revision for the VW turbos are the most current iteration that were found on the '17 model years, so chances are it's the same with Audi.

I'd say go for it.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If I remember correctly the 874's are the newest of the new revisions that only came out a few months ago. If that is correct then you may have just scored finding that pop up. I'd definitely say go for it.

venmfnvenom

Just wrapped up my is20 install and wanted to give a shout out to the OP. Thanks to this guide, it was a relative breeze. I can't wait to dig into map 6 on my jb4. Cheers

joofcorn

Ready to race!
Looks like I'll be joining the club. Probably won't get around to install until at least April though, thanks winter....

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Hrm, well just about 15 minutes ago I developed my first CEL on the golf. Was in D with ESC fully defeated (thanks OBD11) and decided to got wot up a fairly steep hill on the way back to the house. Lots of wheel-spin as expected, but then I hear the turbo dump pressure and the CEL and EPC light flash up on the dash.

Pull over, turn the engine off and on (I've had issues with the EPC system once before) only to find the EPC light off but CEL light still sticking there. I should note the car was decidedly not in limp mode on the last minute and a half of driving, and diving into the faults with OBD11 revealed a single misfire in cylinders two and three at 6300 RPM.

I'm currently running the RS7 spark plugs with about 6k miles on them, and I've cleared the codes for now. We'll see how things go from here, but here's to it being a one off fluke from the ECU.

joofcorn

Ready to race!
So the used is20 came in, but does have a broken plug for the diverter valve which seems to have broken in shipment. Anyone think its worth any fuss since I can just take the one off my turbo when I do the swap?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh oh. Well good thing you have a backup. My IS20 didn't even come with a diverter valve, so I had to use the one from the IS12 too.

joofcorn

Ready to race!
Tool question, how helpful would a flex head socket wrench be during this process? Don't have one in my collection yet, and debating if I should pick one up.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I didn't need one.

910noskillz

Will the wastegate on the is12 work on an is20? From what I’m seeing it looks like it may, but was curious to see if anyone has swapped them over. I’m asking because I may have found an is20 but He used his wastegate on his is38