GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trim Removal

AdamP

Hoping someone will be able to help. I'm trying to remove some interior trim pieces and having difficulty. The problem bits are the trim along the top of the doors that surrounds the door handles, and the trim piece surrounding the instrument cluster. If anyone has any tips of removing these pieces I would much appreciate it.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Hoping someone will be able to help. I'm trying to remove some interior trim pieces and having difficulty. The problem bits are the trim along the top of the doors that surrounds the door handles, and the trim piece surrounding the instrument cluster. If anyone has any tips of removing these pieces I would much appreciate it.
I think you need to get the door card off for the door trim, I wrapped the door trin while it was on the door, not the best job, will have to do it again. I think the door trim might be held in place and you have to sort of break it off the door and then double side tape it back on. I could be wrong as I haven't takin the door card to try it yet. As for the instrument cluster, is it the fan control surround? Just pop the drawer open, grab the trim with both hands at the bottom and pull it towards you, it can be scary and takes a bit of force the first time but it's well held in, I've removed all that trim numerous times, you can damage the plastic clips but it still holds very very securely

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

AdamP

Thanks for the tips. Glad I didn't pull too hard on the door trim then! The instrument cluster i mean is the trim around the speedometer and stuff. Is there an easier way to get it off other than removing the trim around the radio screen?

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Arite, yea you need to take everything off, if you look closely the radio trim overlaps the speedometer trim and the same for the fan trim on the other side, you will need to take those 2 pieces off first, and theres a bit above the steering wheel that will need pulled off too. The speedoneter trim was probably the hardest for me to get off. Now when I do it, I just grab and pull because I know how to take it off, no being careful, but you def won't do that first time

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
I took a photo of the back of the door card where the trim is held. If you wanted to remove that trim you'd have to break those plastic rivet type things to get it off, looks like more work than it's worth.
If you're going to wrap them, I was able to do mine in place, you can get the trim out just enough to tuck wrap behind it.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
any pictures of where the clips are when removing trim around gauge cluster?
I don't, you remove the nav and fan trims first because they overlap the guage trim, and there's a bit of plastic just above the steering wheel that needs removed too and then just pull it off, get a grip on the fan side and give it a tug, you'll get nowehere by being gentle

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk