GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blackecho's GTI build

blackecho101

Finally decided to start a build thread for my 2015 CSG GTI S with LP. This GTI replaced my Stage 2 DriverMotorsport MK5 GTI.
This thread was created a little late and some modifications may be out of chronological order. I did my best to keep it true to the actual timeline.
The car was purchased used with just under 20K on the clock.

First day with her:

First to try out my old Micro-CAN Ross Tech Vag-COM cable from my MK5 and get started on some tweaks! And to my surprise, it worked! Convenience windows FTW!

Build started mild with an ebay clutch stop and black emblems, along with some Klii color matched emblem backgrounds.

Had to upgrade that stock shift knob to one of the BFI GS2 knobs, Love these knobs and well worth the price in my opinion, plus they are semi local to me and I very much enjoy their Oktoberfest event!

Next i wanted to get some protection for my paint since more aggressive wheels were definitely in the near future. The car came with door edge and fender guards so a nice addition was the Rallyarmor mud flaps in black/red. They are pricy but the fitment is spot on. They did however forget some hardware in my kit, and when i contacted them i specified exactly which size was missing and they send out the wrong bolts, ahh well, i just got the correct size myself after getting impatient of waiting.

Next i got a good deal on some used VMR v701's off craigslist, already wrapped in my favorite tires, some Continental Extreme-contact DW06's.

Okay, I need to take a break from modding. I do have Christmas presents to buy and whatnot.... oh whats that? A sale on Newsouth Boost Gauge with the pod from USP Motorsports? Don't mind if I do!

Lets take a break from the MK7 GTI for a moment so i can tell you a little about my old MK5 GTI. My MK5 was my first experience with the Chinese Android navigation units. I had the Eanon 5150F (IIRC) in this car and honestly i loved almost every aspect of the head unit. The bluetooth could have been better, especially for calls, but the unit itself satisfied my need for the ability to tinker with everything to the extreme! I spent all kinds of time flashing custom ROMs and installing USB ports in the dash.
...Okay back on track, around this time ECS Tuning has a 45% off sale on their Bremmen Parts Android 5.1.1 Head Unit. It's a 10.1 inch touch screen running at 1024x600 with a quad-core Cortex A9 CPU and a gig of RAM it was right on-par with my old unit. The major downside is the trim on this unit, it doesn't match the GTI dash trim in the slightest, and would have to be wrapped to be acceptable. This wouldn't be a first for me, as i have wrapped the interior of an old B5.5 A4 (miss that car). Guess who talked themselves into this rabbit hole?

This was wrapped with 3M 1080 Matrix Black vinyl. its not perfect and I'm aware of the issues with the quality of the wrap job. I'm going to live with it for now and I will probably try the radio trim one more time. Its hard to get right under the vents right because of how far the screen sticks out from the dash. I wrapped the radio trim as well as the cluster trim and the drivers side vent trim, so it flows. I wrapped the headlight switch trim and the climate control trim as well, and I will continue it down to the drawer and shift knob trim as well. The drive modes work fine, as well as many of the original information in the head unit such as MPG, Days/Miles left to service, Interior lighting brightness and settings, and door lock/window settings. Everything works pretty well although I did have a few issues, Bluetooth is much worse than my old unit and will be contacting ECS in the future to see if this is a common issue once I troubleshoot and try different devices/settings. Its pretty much not usable as of now due to connection issues, I haven't seen a call stay connected for a full 2 minutes yet. Also the GPS extension cable wasn't the right kind of plug. I ran the USB cord out of the old MDI port and will be using a pass-thru USB solution when i can get something like the Double Apex for the MK5 that i had before. I will also be adding one of the licence plate light backup cameras from Ebay, I'm just waiting on it to come it. I was very tempted by the aftermarket motorized rear emblem for sale on Ebay for around $180 since my car has so factory backup camera in the emblem. This might be a future upgrade for me.

Last edited:

blackecho101

Been awhile since my last update, too many mods to remember specifics. If anyone has any questions about a mod ask away.

Current Mod list:

Interior:
BFI GS2 Perforated leather shift knob
ECS Climate rings
Bremman by ECS 10.1" Android head unit
Planet Audio amp/Kicker 12" Subwoofer
Neuspeed vent mount boost gauge
Custom sun visor air bag warning covers
Low profile rear headrests from Audi A3

Exterior:
VMR V701 18x8.5 wheels
Pirelli P-Zero Pluses
RallyArmour Mud Flaps
ECS rear wiper delete
ECS Euro tinted side mirrors
Black eBay VW Emblems
Klii rear CSG emblem inlay
Vinyl tinted cherry red tails/reflectors/mirror signals

Engine:
JB4 w/ custom map 6
Rev9 catless downpipe
CTS Turbo TIP
RS7 oem spark plugs
K&N High Flow filter
Majesty V2 FMIC
BFI Stage 1 Dogbone Insert

*in the works*

BFI Stage 1 engine/trans mounts
3" full stainless exhaust with Vibrant res and muffler.

Last edited: