GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

mayhem_j30

Passed Driver's Ed
I saw you were having some baking cooling management issues that lead to the bbk. You may still run into issues. Couple things you can do. First make sure all traction control nannies are off at the track. Second upgrade to a 3" duct hose and use a large brake duct up front. Then you can buy or make your own (not difficult especially when you see the prices of these things) hose mount that connects via the caliper mounts. Routes airflow directly to the inside vanes of your rotors.
Good place to start for track duty accessories.
https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/RPWNACADuctBumperDuctD100/Naca_Ducts2

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, Mayhem. I’ll see if I still need something after the extra built in airflow from the Clubsport bumper and the BBK. I was able to get my brake ducting setup pretty clean last time around, but felt I really needed no larger than 2” ducting up to the rotors. The 3” ducting I played around with, I couldn’t figure out a good spot to get it up to the rotors without it getting pinched or rubbing on something.

If I still have issues I’ll give it another go, and probably use the same kit, but instead use a 3” to 2” coupler at the tire wells, and run a 2” duct up to the rotors. Ultimately though, I’m hoping I don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Enjoyed reading through your thread, car looks mean and must pull amazing. I'm heading to see Steve in a couple weeks to do my clutch and Wavetrac LSD install. Will likely end up going a very similar route to you.

Jason

Thanks, and very nice! In no way will you regret the Wavetrac, such a solid and worthwhile mod if you don’t have the factory LSD. Steve put mine in as well and I haven’t had any issues. He always does a great job with his work.

LOL!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Forgot to post the rest of these post-detail pics... this included clay bar, 1 step paint correction, and two coats of CQuartz UK ceramic coating! He also cleaned and coated all 4 wheels and brake calipers [emoji4]

You’ll notice my eyelids are missing, I took them off and had him CQuartz some new ones for me, I just needed to get the rest of that 3M tape off.

I don’t have any newer pics or news about the car yet. I took it back to my builder to fix an oil leaking/burning issue, it looks like the sealant for the girdle didn’t take.. the joys of doing an engine build I suppose. Hope to have it back Monday.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Awesome build, this thing is impressive lol steering wheel wrap, aftermarket wheel, or do my eyes deceive me?

Oh hey, thanks! Very good eye, I haven't even posted about my amazing new carbon wheel from TAW Chicago. The thing is an absolute beauty:

And what’s that light on the steering wheel, you ask? That is my new Ecliptech Shift P2+ progressive shift light...

https://ecliptech.com.au/product/shift-p2-2/

I’ll make another post of what it is and install later:

[emoji51]

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
By the way, if you're on Instagram, find me as @TheQuebster ! I won't guarantee that I post any more than I do in here (I don't) but hey, whatever.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Well guys/gals, time for some honesty! I have a lot of kinks to work out! [emoji57] Biggest issue is that I seem to be seeping oil from the head gasket. Car runs terrific and holds compression, just seeping oil. Builder says only other time he's seen that is when he received an engine where the OEM stretch bolts for the head were reused. So, he thinks the ARP head stud kit we used for the head is the culprit...

However we are far from being the first to build a 2.0T engine with these ARP studs... so either my headgasket was bad, the studs weren't torqued properly, or it's a different problem entirely. It is strange, when I pop the hood after driving, everything just seems... wet. With oil vapor, or something. Pic for reference:

Secondly, I was informed that my water pump is leaking. So wish me luck, because I'm going to attempt to get that warrantied at the stealership... I have friends there, but the car is so heavily-modified there's only so much they can do. lol

Thirdly, the front center lip of my Clubsport bumper... FLEW OFF!! [emoji20] I was driving at normal highway speeds to work the other day, and it just flew off and went under my car and under the car behind me. Long gone. How sad is that! Luckily they sell the piece on ECS' website, so looks like I don't have to go through the process of re-ordering from Germany...

Lastly, I'm not sure about the paint job on my bumper. It doesn't have as much depth as the rest of the car, but maybe it's just the difference in the material? My detailer pointed it out to me after detailing the car. I think I'll swing the car by the painter and see what he has to say. The paint does come with a warranty. I haven't managed to get a good picture of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, just some updates of what I'm working on currently. Have the car back, and won't be taking it back to the builder to replace the headgasket unless I know for sure we can get it knocked out in 1-2 days. Been sending logs back to 613B6 on occasion, on Rev 3 of the tune currently, pending Rev 4. Getting stronger and stronger.

Still need fueling... did pick up this "used", never-installed Precision Raceworks Stage 4 kit for a steal locally, which should provide more than I'll ever need! Dual 450 pumps and all the lines. Just need MPI, and for Maestro to release full MPI support [emoji3]

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Oh and here is some nice beading thanks to CQuartz UK ceramic coating:

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Well guys/gals, time for some honesty! I have a lot of kinks to work out! [emoji57] Biggest issue is that I seem to be seeping oil from the head gasket. Car runs terrific and holds compression, just seeping oil. Builder says only other time he's seen that is when he received an engine where the OEM stretch bolts for the head were reused. So, he thinks the ARP head stud kit we used for the head is the culprit...

However we are far from being the first to build a 2.0T engine with these ARP studs... so either my headgasket was bad, the studs weren't torqued properly, or it's a different problem entirely. It is strange, when I pop the hood after driving, everything just seems... wet. With oil vapor, or something. Pic for reference:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180308/90a8dc699a9b016bb8285a8d5b02b940.jpg[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Are you using the stock PCV setup?

If you are you're asking a lot of it. I know we have vacuum pumps but with much higher cyl pressures, you're getting a lot higher windage/crank case pressure as well. I wouldn't romp on it until you figure out where it's coming from.

If it was a head/headgasket issue you'd see a loss of compression and a lot of other issues. Also think about where the head meets the block, things are wet above that, which means the valve cover isn't sealing like it was. Either your PCV check valve is bad OR your PCV setup isn't producing enough vacuum so it's deciding to vent at the weakest link which would be your valve cover.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Are you using the stock PCV setup?

If you are you're asking a lot of it. I know we have vacuum pumps but with much higher cyl pressures, you're getting a lot higher windage/crank case pressure as well. I wouldn't romp on it until you figure out where it's coming from.

If it was a head/headgasket issue you'd see a loss of compression and a lot of other issues. Also think about where the head meets the block, things are wet above that, which means the valve cover isn't sealing like it was. Either your PCV check valve is bad OR your PCV setup isn't producing enough vacuum so it's deciding to vent at the weakest link which would be your valve cover.

I am indeed using the stock PCV at the moment, which I replaced with a newer, used one under the suspicion that my PCV was bad. I've had a VWR catch can system on order since December, the ETA keeps getting pushed back (thanks, ECS).

That picture above is actually from before we re-sealed the upper girdle. It's not quite as "wet" in the engine bay now as it was there, but that's the only picture I have for reference. I was burning oil and had oil in Cylinder 4, but since the reseal all has been ok in that regard... I still seem to be seeping oil somewhere and burning it, but I'm not smoking out the exhaust anymore which is good.

You can seep oil at the headgasket and still hold good compression and have the engine run fine, as noted by my engine builder's previous experience regarding working on an engine where the OEM head stretch bolts had been reused.

Anyway, the car has been performing pretty well overall. We just finished up the pump tune and are on V2 of the e-blend tune currently. Took her to Mexico last night and she did well, and nothing in the engine bay looked out of place after.

Not sure. Will just keep driving and monitoring... going to throw it back on the rack this week and take a look at everything again. The water pump may be leaking, but I put some coolant in and it's still where I left it, so the leak is extremely minor... enough to where I don't care too much about it to risk taking it to the stealership and having them charge me labor for just looking at it....

Anyway....... will keep everyone posted!

Last edited: