GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Delete

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking for another Mk7 to daily. I love my 3.2 Eos, but I don't like the DSG in everyday driving. I'd like to go back to daily driving a manual, but I'm indifferent. Found a few good deals on autos so I figured I'd ask for opinions on them. I'm curious how the autos have held up, and how they feel.

What year? - 2015 1.8T TSI SEL
How many miles? - Bought in July 2017 with 30k, now about 38k
Any issues? - Nope. Love the paddles and manual mode shifter, especially in winter driving.
Do you regret going auto over manual? - Nope, I needed an auto for slow-crawl traffic jams. I have a manual Miata for evening & weekend fun.
How responsive is the trans to tiptronic shifts? - Ehh...it's OK. It's probably no equal to the DSG, but it works.
Any torque converter lag off the line? - In regular "D" mode, yes. in "S" mode, I find much much less. I occasionally use "S" if I need to make a left turn across traffic lanes.
Any updates on a TCU tune? - Nope, didn't know that was a thing. Only just now starting to peruse this sub-forum.

Pic for clicks

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Hijacking this for a quick second, how much power can the auto handle?

I'm is20 on JB4 and downpipe with no issues. Probably in the 280-290whp on my everyday 93 octane set up. I do accessional turn it up more with e30. I'm only 20,000 miles though. A guy on the Facebook group has the same set up and runs his e30 setting all of the time. I think he's closing in on 100,000 miles. He dynoed at 316whp and 361wtq.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Been sitting on my APR is20 91 octane tune for about 10k miles without a single issue to speak of. Should be in the neighborhood of around 300-ish whp, but I've yet to Dyno it myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Been driving it since Friday, drove up from Alamogordo to Denver, no drama though if I had more $$$, I'd get it tuned

Oh well, always can do it in NJ

A JB4 can help that out for not too much. I can help you dial it in as well

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Get a complete mounting kit for the drivetrain (I recommend BFI) followed by wider stickier tires. With my setup traction is a virtual non-issue from a dig, sure I'll chirp the front tires but I find traction almost immediately.

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
Get a complete mounting kit for the drivetrain (I recommend BFI) followed by wider stickier tires. With my setup traction is a virtual non-issue from a dig, sure I'll chirp the front tires but I find traction almost immediately.

That's my plan, though debating between that or a tune first

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I'd say if you're going for a basic stage 1 I'd prioritize a dog bone insert to go with it. They are easy to install, and are probably one of the best bang-for-buck mods we can do for our cars.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
While I would love to be proved wrong, as far as I'm aware the answer is no. At the very least I contacted Quaife, Wavetrac, and Peloquin to see if any of their mechanical LSD's were compatible with the 09g and I got a no from all three of them.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
lol, traction. What's that?