GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

looking for help/support with euro mk7 led tailights

Navi

Autocross Champion
So this is the situation.. I've been running oem euro mk7 gti taillights with BEC harness for a year. Today I got a message that I have a blown reverse bulb. Looked at the rear of the vehicle and turns out that both the reverse lights are blown. So I'm trying to figure out what is causing this. Can two LED reverse bulbs blow at the same time? I know that all of the harnesses that provide ROW functionality bridge the reverse circuit so that the other circuit can be allocated to the rear fog (which I have as well). Is it possible that both LED's need to be working and bc one is blown, the other one is not going to work either? I'm not that great with electrical stuff but I've never seen that happen so I kind of doubt it. I tried switching the bulbs around, still no go. I looked at all the harnesses and made sure all the terminals are clicked in and no bare wires are showing. They seem fine. When I pull the code with OBD11, it says check rear signal, open circuit/short circuit. All other functionality of exterior lights are working correctly and the rear view camera is working fine also.

Ideas?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
NAVIN: I guess it's possible for both LEDs to fault at the same time, but it's less likely to happen.

My understanding of the BEC harness is that the 2 x reverse lights are connected in parallel and they are both run by Leuchte29RFL RA64 - the right side reverse light leuchte-set

If you have been operating OK for a while with the set-up and this problem has just arisen, I suspect one of two possibilities: either the supplying voltage to the lamp pair is faulty (upstream wiring, or connectors problems), or one of the LEDs has shorted-out - because the lamps are in parallel, a short on one of the lamps would stop voltage to the other lamp.

First, try removing one of the LEDs only and put the car in reverse - does the other LED illuminate. If not, replace the LED and remove the other LED and try again .

If you still can't make one of the LEDs illuminate - grab a multi-meter and test the voltage on the pin supplying the two LEDs (on the right-side reversing light). If you measure no voltage on this pin when the car is in reverse, the problem is in an upstream connector, or wire. If you do measure a voltage on this pin, keep moving down the harness -measuring voltage at each successive down-stream connector

Don

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the detailed response. I tried switching bulbs back and fourth, still no go. I'm not sure which one, or if any are dead. The first thing I want to do is try new bulbs but these led bulbs are hard to find local so I had to order some. I'll recheck the wiring tomorrow but everything looked fine with it yesterday. I would be surprised if somehow the wires shorted or got messed up when they have been fine for a year. I'm hoping it's an easy fix like just bulbs.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Update to this thread... maybe it will help someone in the future who is running the BEC harness with MK7 LED tail lights. One of the wire connectors had snapped off due to the extremely cold weather last winter. When I removed all the panels, I saw the wire just hanging. The wire is the one that bridges the two reverse lights, so because it was cut, both of them were not working. I fixed with with some soldering and heat tubing and everything is good now.