GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Clubsport vs Golf R

Jofa73

Passed Driver's Ed
I apologize for jumping the thread, but I cannot resisting saying how lucky those of you in Europe are to have a choice/chance to buy a Volkswagen Clubsport. What a unique car! Particularly from Volkswagen. I've joked that I'd buy a dozen if they were available here (in the U.S.), but I'd have at least one, for sure.

So, to answer the poster's question: Clubsport, without question. The only topper would be a Clubsport S. Hard to imagine you'd lose a dime (krona?) over time, and may actually make a few.

Sweden only got 4 CSS and they where auctioned off by VW of sweden and the money went to charity if i'm correct. There is one for sale used for 499.000sek appproximately 62.000 us$

Mk7R Estate

Ready to race!
I have a JB4 CS with BullX race cat and filter. Had the same parts in my previous R estate. Im probably selling my CS now. And I miss the R badly. Hate fwd in wet and cant stand it in snow. The car is lighter and more agile. Faster while over 80kmh. But I still miss my r. I love the CS seats, wifey hates them.... Eventually the tuning parts are for sale.

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
It all depends on what ya wanna do. The R is the R, the gti is a golf. They are two completely different driving experiences imo. However, there are few street cars under 50k that could walk a stage two gutted gti from a 40 roll. They beat Rs all the time, tuned or not. The power to weight is just excellent and much cheaper to buy and mod. Imho, the R is just too unrationally priced new. For what you pay, they come dangerously close to BMW I platforms that give a lot more...

If I had the choice. I would still go with the gti. Due to the weight, power delivery of a strong is20, the fwtq and the manual gearing is just pure gold from a roll. My two cents

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
It all depends on what ya wanna do. The R is the R, the gti is a golf. They are two completely different driving experiences imo. However, there are few street cars under 50k that could walk a stage two gutted gti from a 40 roll. They beat Rs all the time, tuned or not. The power to weight is just excellent and much cheaper to buy and mod. Imho, the R is just too unrationally priced new. For what you pay, they come dangerously close to BMW I platforms that give a lot more...

If I had the choice. I would still go with the gti. Due to the weight, power delivery of a strong is20, the fwtq and the manual gearing is just pure gold from a roll. My two cents

HUH? both the R and GTI are based on the golf.

Mk7R Estate

Ready to race!

and that walk from 40 roll argument again. Fuck that. I talk about real life experience now. A R is faster in general terms. and much more usefull. as I said, had / have them both.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
the R is just too unrationally priced new. For what you pay, they come dangerously close to BMW I platforms that give a lot more...

unfortunately not true. going price for the R is around $37k-$38k before TTL with all the features. BMW has NO vehicle with that price range (not even close) with the similar features. you might get bare bone no option rwd bmws for the R price range

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
It's within range honestly...anyone with almost 40 can stretch it. 40 for a dsg R new. Leather only is the problem for me. I'd give up the weight savings for dcc/extra horse if I didn't haveto go leather. Saw a gti in the auto show when I was 15. Plaid seats. Was always a must have for me.

Love the Tt Don't get me wrong, saw someone mention. Just when comparing all four the only downside is the lack of practicality. Interior is nicer but no center screen is bad for passenger entertainment. Also falls in the practicality section.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

When you factor in depreciation the R is a better deal than the gti since resale is much stronger for the R. Gti will cost more to own in the long run because of it.

No new bmw comes close to the r in the in the high 30s low 40s. A 240i w awd starts at 47 with no options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
When you factor in depreciation the R is a better deal than the GTI since resale is much stronger for the R. GTI will cost more to own in the long run because of it. . . .
You are correct, but this thread began as a discussion of the Clubsport vs. an R. The Clubsport, as you probably know, is a unique Volkswagen and the Clubsport S version is so rare as to be almost an illusion. Thus, these two models now command a premium (assuming you can find one for sale), thus, with a modicum of care & upkeep I'm sure they will become depreciation-free over time. The "S", IMHO, will only appreciate over time. Rs, on the other hand, desirable as they may be, are sold by the thousands, and as you stated, they will continue to depreciate over time.

(Note bene: I said previously that I'd certainly buy a Clubsport if one were available in the United States. I lied. I'd buy at least two, one red, one white. My only qualifier is they have to be "real" GTIs -- i.e., two-door cars. :D Come on, VOA -- take my $ !)

Last edited:

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
You are correct, but this thread began as a discussion of the Clubsport vs. an R. The Clubsport, as you probably know, is a unique Volkswagen and the Clubsport S version is so rare as to be almost an illusion. Thus, these two models now command a premium (assuming you can find one for sale), thus, with a modicum of care & upkeep I'm sure they will become depreciation-free over time. The "S", IMHO, will only appreciate over time. Rs, on the other hand, desirable as they may be, are sold by the thousands, and as you stated, they will continue to depreciate over time.

(Note bene: I said previously that I'd certainly buy a Clubsport if one were available in the United States. I lied. I'd buy at least two, one red, one white. My only qualifier is they have to be "real" GTIs -- i.e., two-door cars. :D Come on, VOA -- take my $ !)

Yup, but twist wasn’t talking about clubsports in his price comparison. the price difference new between the r and the clubsport seems to be negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, and I think we are on the same page. He, too, would prefer the Clubsport given the choice.

Actually, I believe the that Volkswagen made the correct choice in manufacturing so few of these cars. It's one of the things that makes them so desirable.