GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

493hp 1.8T

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
That's a 1.8 from a Mk4. The intake manifold gives it away.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
In the article it tells you it's from a TT.

It even says Audi in the title of the article :D

edit: To be clear, I know they use the same engine, just pointing out it tells you exactly where the engine came from in the article.

Last edited:

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Curious if our engine can achieve that power level and what needs to change ? (I know the answer always if money is not the problem then only the sky is the limit) :D

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Curious if our engine can achieve that power level and what needs to change ? (I know the answer always if money is not the problem then only the sky is the limit) :D

Since the 1.8T EA888 Gen3 is just a smaller (de-stroked) 2.0T, I'd imagine pistons, rods, a big turbo and fuel system upgrades would get you 500hp, same as the 2 liter. The piston bores are the same, so that might be interchangeable. The rods would definitely be different, so if no one makes 1.8T rods that could be a challenge. You could probably just swap a 2 liter block to avoid that too, if you were going to drop the $25k+ to build a 500hp motor. :D

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The 1.8 shares the lpfp with the gti. So far they have gone up to 450+whp on the stock pumps and injector upgrades. The only reason there is a difference on the hpfp is because of the different head with the variable lift on the exhaust. The head specs as far as flow are the same and so are the intake cams. The 1.8 uses same bore pistons with a shorter stroke crank. Pistons and rods are forged and the crank is not. That being said, torque breaks parts, not hp. Lots of cars have gone more power than that on more torque and more hp. There is no need to change the head to the gti head. The vvti on the exhaust only helps the low end. That is why you will see big turbo 1.8's making more boost from 4,500 on up. The vvti actually hurts the top end because it allows the turbo to spool up and blow it's load sooner. All you will really need to get at that power level is larger injectors, secondary injectors like a ROW car, a larger lpfp, a turbo bigger than an IS38, a larger intercooler and some meth injection. As far as what the transmission will hold, again, torque kills, not hp. While Blade has transmission issues, I didn't think he broke or stripped gears on it. I thought he had some leaks. Lots of drag launches on a high torque tune as well. There are other 5 speeds and auto trans guys on IS20 with no issues. If I'm not mistaken, you are a DSG though. So no issues. Just get a TCU tune.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Also, just to note. I don’t think you can simply swap in a 2.0 GTI head onto a 1.8 block and magically have VVT working on the exhaust cam. The GTI has an engine harness connector for the exhaust cam sensor (actuator?) that the 1.8 does not have. So, this would also likely require ECU logic for it to work properly.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The vvti is crap once you start modifying and adding bigger turbos. We're lucky we don't have it

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
The vvti is crap once you start modifying and adding bigger turbos. We're lucky we don't have it
Twindad, where are the details on the internals? You said the Pistons and rods are forged but I haven't been able to find much info on the ea888 gen3 1.8t at all.

Coming from an mk4 gti and a b5 both with bigger turbos (the b5 was a precision 5857) it was generally accepted that the older 1.8ts just needed drop in rods to get past the 300whp mark reliably. Yes, torque is what breaks things but 300whp, back then, was the rule.

Has anybody found that point on the new motors? And more specifically on the 1.8t since it's unconfirmed (or at least it's not common knowledge) what parts the 2L shares with the 1.8L.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Cam phasing / variable valve timing is fan-freaking-tastic and a gift from the gods when it comes to modifying and adding bigger turbos. If you know how to tune it (difficult, especially on dual cam phasing setups like the GTI and R), you can get the turbo so spool faster and get way better volumetric efficiency. This can mean GOBS more power. I would never want a platform without it.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Cam phasing / variable valve timing is fan-freaking-tastic and a gift from the gods when it comes to modifying and adding bigger turbos. If you know how to tune it (difficult, especially on dual cam phasing setups like the GTI and R), you can get the turbo so spool faster and get way better volumetric efficiency. This can mean GOBS more power. I would never want a platform without it.

I was wondering when someone was going to jump on that statement. It's like saying "electricity is such a hassle, I'm glad we're still using candles". Coming from a Gen1 888 to the Gen3 R, spool, driveability and power are all massively better because of dual VVT. Add in valve lift/dual cam profiles and life is damn good for tuning, wouldn't have it any other way.