GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait for 2018 GTI, or value shop 2017's now?

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed

I asked a dealer I know about the 2018s and they said that some dealers may just be posting what they think they've been allocated or have ordered - but these are obviously not yet released. As to when they would be, they said the metric to watch isn't 2017 GTIs and Rs available nationally but Golfs. Once the 2017 Golfs are more depleted then the 2018s would be released for distribution. I guess we'll see! My guess is late February or early March.

TheGreyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I was lucky enough to get the first (and last) 2018 Autobahn allocation for 2017. I had about $2k in positive equity and jumped on it!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I asked a dealer I know about the 2018s and they said that some dealers may just be posting what they think they've been allocated or have ordered - but these are obviously not yet released. As to when they would be, they said the metric to watch isn't 2017 GTIs and Rs available nationally but Golfs. Once the 2017 Golfs are more depleted then the 2018s would be released for distribution. I guess we'll see! My guess is late February or early March.

I was at a small, family owned dealership by my house today for an oil change and some warranty work and I saw a green 7.5 in the lot. Looked so good.

Runnerguy45

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm going to contact King tomorrow and see if these prices are real.

Edit, these guys called me after an online inquiry and said they give no numbers by email. Company policy. I ended the call. King VW = bs. So King VW has internet prices that can't be sent on the internet !!!

Last edited:

Robbb

Passed Driver's Ed
The only option on a 2018 SE are the leather seats. The only way to get a non-sunroof 2018 GTI is to get an S which means no LED headlights, no safety/DAP options, no Fender audio, no VAQ diff or PP brakes.

I'm still pissed the only way you can get Fender and ACC is going for a loaded Autobahn lol.

This is my post from a thread on Vortex of what an Autobahn has over an SE:

ACC
Parking sensors and park assist
High beam control
12 way power drivers seat (leather standard)
NAV with enhanced Car-Net
Fender audio
Climatronic
Auto dimming mirror
DCC

I just did some quick math. After adding the $695 leather to the SE, an Autobahn GTI is $3905 than an SE with leather.

And VW wonders why their sales are down/why they have to offer incentives! Is it just me, or should the Autobahn be $2700-$3000 more than the SE, at most?!

Aside from the DCC, audio, and 12 way power drivers seat, most of the other stuff I feel shouldn't add up to almost $4000. I seriously wish you could just get an SE with the ACC and Fender audio. I'd pay $1500 on top of the SE's price for those two items.

And for those saying that VW sales were good (that's the feedback some had from Vortex), yes, they are, but a huge reason for that is because of the heavily discounted Mk7's. Golf's, Jetta's, Golf Sportwagens, GTI's, etc. Bad for VW and for their customer's. Why? Because just as Chogokin said, he paid a lot more for his 2017 Sport just 5 months ago than what they're going for now. That tends to piss people off and it also makes resale value tank.

As for myself, because I'm not in the market right now (damn negative equity on my Mazda3), I'm kind of hoping 2018's don't hold their value too crazy so I can pick up a slightly used 2018 GTI Autobahn down the road. We'll have to see how much the market values the 6 year, 72k mile warranty. It still boggles my mind how Honda can offer a mid-size car with all of the standard safety tech (lane assist, blind spot, cross traffic monitoring, ACC, and traffic sign recognition) on their brand new $25k Accord, yet VW can't get their compact car in the same pricing bracket haha. I realize these aren't in the same class and the likelihood of cross shopping them are slim, but I guess I was one of the rare ones. I was really eyeing the new 2.0T Sport 6MT Accord but then I realized that ultimately, a Mk7/7.5 GTI with the VAQ diff and larger brakes will suit my needs much better.

I was considering a 2018 SE until several factors came into play. Removing the Fender Audio was one factor, the unattractive stock wheels were another. I really didn't want the sunroof anyway. Then I was going to do a Sport to get the Brakes and VAQ but they eliminated the Sport this year. I'm in no hurry and have a fairly new vehicle so decided to wait another couple years and see what the next generation offers.