GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Fuel Tank- Aux. Heater Metering Pump Install

Derf

Ready to race!

I can't answer your question about Euro car's leak detection, but you're saying that these two areas are incompatible? Could it be a separate bracket?

bbjwvr6

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't answer your question about Euro car's leak detection, but you're saying that these two areas are incompatible? Could it be a separate bracket?

Yes, on cars with fuel leak detection, the fuel leak detection controller is mounted to a bracket which snaps into the receiver on the fuel tank that is normally designated for the aux heater metering pump. Further research shows that the fuel leak detection controller is only on NAR models.

My guess is that there is not an actual incompatibility between the the NAR evap system and the auxiliary heater, just that you need to relocate either the metering pump or the leak detection controller if you want to install the aux heater. I'm hoping VW just decided to use that location for the controller in NAR because it was both accessible and relatively protected as well as convenient, since they don't offer the aux heater option in NAR, as the TDIs have all switched over to electric supplemental heat (I think).

Since you're using the Webasto kit, there should be a slightly different mounting location for the pump on the the frame of the car where the fuel lines come out of the underbody duct. See the Webasto Golf 7 instructions posted earlier in this thread. This is not an option for me as the fuel line from the metering pump to the the fuel pump is not long enough for me to do this. So I will likely relocate the leak detection controller.

Derf

Ready to race!
Since you're using the Webasto kit, there should be a slightly different mounting location for the pump...[snip] ...This is not an option for me...

Wait, are you not using the Webasto kit? What are you using?

bbjwvr6

Passed Driver's Ed
Wait, are you not using the Webasto kit? What are you using?

Volkswagen sells an OEM kit that is functionally the equivalent of a factory install. It uses the Webasto heater, but includes all the parts that the factory install includes. There are some small differences, such as how the wires are routed to the metering pump and the fact that the antenna/T91 receiver are installed in the a-pillar/dash, but most of the parts are the same as the factory install.

The factory kit comes with fuel line between the metering pump and the fuel pump exactly the right length for the metering pump to be installed on the tank bracket. And the connector from the metering pump to the underbody fuel line is exactly the right length as well. Moving the metering pump isn't an option unless you want to re-work these two lines.

Derf

Ready to race!
Now that the weather is warmer let me know if you are tackling the install of this heater. Take some good notes and photos, as I'd really like to fit my Webasto heater to my car too.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
@bbjwvr6 @Derf

hi guys, I don't even own the car yet but this is one of the retrofit I wanna do for sure. car would be a european Sport edition 1.4 TSI 92kW

I see the kit is crazy expensive and anyway I cannot locate the exact part number which would fit my car.

I also see that on ebay it would be WAY cheaper to buy a slightly used webasto unit, and then maybe the wiring from Kufatec.

So I wonder if anybody would be able to provide all the part numbers that the kit is made of.

I am not really interested in remote controlling so I assume I would only need the webasto, surrounding piping and brackets, and the wiring.

any help?

Derf

Ready to race!
@bbjwvr6 @Derf

hi guys, I don't even own the car yet but this is one of the retrofit I wanna do for sure. car would be a european Sport edition 1.4 TSI 92kW

I see the kit is crazy expensive and anyway I cannot locate the exact part number which would fit my car.

I also see that on ebay it would be WAY cheaper to buy a slightly used webasto unit, and then maybe the wiring from Kufatec.

So I wonder if anybody would be able to provide all the part numbers that the kit is made of.

I am not really interested in remote controlling so I assume I would only need the webasto, surrounding piping and brackets, and the wiring.

any help?

There’s the webasto heater unit, a fuel pickup standpipe that goes into your car’s gas tank, a fuel filter, a small dosing fuel pump to pump gas out of your gas tank to the webasto, some fuel lines and connectors, the wiring harness that connects the webasto heater to the car (ties into lots of car’s sensors), an exhaust pipe for the webasto, a mounting bracket for the webasto, the connecting hoses that run between the webasto heater and your car’s radiator, some hose clamps,... I think all you really leave off is the timer/controller, or the antenna and remote control (an optional extra anyway). Sorry I don’t have part numbers.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
thank you. it looks like a nightmare to hunt down single parts maybe it's better to get the whole kit.

however before ordering such an expensive p/n I want to be sure it matches the car, how do I double check?

Derf

Ready to race!
thank you. it looks like a nightmare to hunt down single parts maybe it's better to get the whole kit.

however before ordering such an expensive p/n I want to be sure it matches the car, how do I double check?

Definitely better to go with a kit if you can find one. The webasto Thermotop units are all the same, pretty much. The major differences are the burner- if it’s meant to run on gas or diesel, and the burner size.

There is a Thermotop E, for economy, Thermotop C, for commercial, and Thermotop Z (an air heater). The air heater just blows hot air, it’s a good supplemental heater for a bus, boat or camper or truck with a big cabin. The C and E units warm coolant that runs to the radiator and heater core to pre-warm your engine and your cabin (blows warm air as soon as you start the blower). The E economy unit has a smaller burner, it puts out 2kW or 4.2kW in low and high modes. It’d be fine for a small car. The C commercial unit has a larger burner and puts out 2.6 or 5.2 kW and is better for trucks or busses, or warming a car very quickly. Both the Thermotop C and E models are further designated by the letters D, if they run on diesel, or B if they run on benzin (Gasoline). Therefore you’d look for a Thermotop E/B or Thermotop C/B.

Also the dosing fuel pump is supposed to be specific to either gas or diesel. The diesel pump can cause cavitation and creates air bubbles when running gasoline, which causes problems for the heater. So says the Webasto factory technicians. If you’re in doubt, ask the seller if it will work for your car.

You’ll need a way to mount the unit to the car. You can get creative and make a bracket, or use a universal bracket from Webasto, or get the VW bracket. As for wiring, VW has a harness, although I haven’t used it, otherwise you have to modify the Webasto harness to tie into the car. It only has a couple leads (ground, power, engine rpm, parking brake sensor, engine temperature, ?) so it isn’t the worst thing to have to wire.

Last edited:

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
are you saying a kit by Webasto would work like the OEM? I don't care about the remote control but I still need the timer function in the radio display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derf

Ready to race!
Webasto supplies a heater and all the accessory parts to VW, and maybe even a wiring harness to connect to the car. VW doesn’t make anything, they just program the car to interface with the heater.

cb1111

Has anyone actually installed this in a NA yet? I had one of these in my V12 Jaguar and it worked extremely well until I blew a water hose at 230kmh on the Autobahn.