GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender Replacement

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
This has yielded zero results from Google and YouTube searches. Likely because it's just not a commonly required thing... Has anyone replaced or removed a front fender? I got into a fender bender (literally) and purchased a new fender to replace the damaged one.

Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any guides or DIY's out there? I'm sure it isn't difficult but sometimes these kinds of threads can offer tips and tricks that are useful.

Regardless, I'll try to document my attempt as best I can so others may have reference material. Though, I can't guarantee the quality.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I just removed mine. You need a 10 and 8mm socket. I believe the fender liner bolts are a t25.

There are two bolts in the engine bay, one under the window trim. Two behind the door and then you have to remove the fender liner from it. After that you can get the remaining four bolts (two by the front and two above the side skirt but behind the fender itself near the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Sorry I have my window trim removed and thought it might be under there from the looks of it.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry I have my window trim removed and thought it might be under there from the looks of it.

Cool. I may look into that, as I do need to make some adjustments. It was getting late yesterday and I had it buttoned up and functioning so I could get to work this week. I regret not documenting it but I just didn't have the time.

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
Before:

After:

dinosaurcam

Where did you get the fender from? It's more expensive to ship then the cost of the fender. My just get custom wide fenders

Zachy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf GTI S
Don’t forget that annoying plastic/rubber gasket piece of crap they use to seal the fender behind the door. That thing is a PITA and getting it back in is even more annoying. Great idea but bad execution.

Pavoldoe

Car(s)
2019 Mk 7.5 Golf GTI
Don’t forget that annoying plastic/rubber gasket piece of crap they use to seal the fender behind the door. That thing is a PITA and getting it back in is even more annoying. Great idea but bad execution.
This thread is a couple years old now, but I'm trying to replace my fender on my 2019 mk 7.5 GTI and I am stuck on that plastic/rubber fender-door seal behind the door. Is it possible to get that thing out without taking the door off? It seems impossible because the door does not leave enough clearance for the clips to be pushed out of the way. Not sure if this is something that was added or changed on the Mk 7.5 because I can't find anything about how to remove it online. Hoping there is a trick that allows me to do it without taking the door off.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This thread is a couple years old now, but I'm trying to replace my fender on my 2019 mk 7.5 GTI and I am stuck on that plastic/rubber fender-door seal behind the door. Is it possible to get that thing out without taking the door off? It seems impossible because the door does not leave enough clearance for the clips to be pushed out of the way. Not sure if this is something that was added or changed on the Mk 7.5 because I can't find anything about how to remove it online. Hoping there is a trick that allows me to do it without taking the door off.
Not sure if this helps, guy just brute forced it a bit;

I've got some nasty rust starting on my front fenders so was looking at this today.

Pavoldoe

Car(s)
2019 Mk 7.5 Golf GTI
Not sure if this helps, guy just brute forced it a bit;

I've got some nasty rust starting on my front fenders so was looking at this today.
Yeah, I came across that too, but the hardest part is getting the seal back in. I took a lot of maring,, but eventually by not tightening the fender bolts down to allow some wiggle room, I could squeeze the seal back into place, then tighten down the fender bolts after. You'll have to snake a box wrench in under the seal after in place to hold the nuts tight, and wrench the bolts from under the hood, and from under the wheel well with a long extension. On another note, I did this without jacking it up, without taking the headlight assembly out, or taking the wheel off. I would recommend taking the wheel off though if you don't want scratched and bruised hands and wrists, but it is possible if need be.

Attachments

• 20221231_145226.jpg
    20221231_145226.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
  • 20221231_141312.jpg
    20221231_141312.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
  • 20230418_200931.jpg
    20230418_200931.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Installed the plastic/rubber seal on my MK7 recently. Tried the wiggling for a couple of minutes, and finally took the door off in less than 3 minutes. IMO just take the door off. It’s as easy as roll the window down, remove 3 screws, disconnect the wiring, and lift the door out. Install is as easy. No need to adjust anything.
40D53F6A-0162-47FC-9578-062B1CC44900.jpeg

Pavoldoe

Car(s)
2019 Mk 7.5 Golf GTI
Installed the plastic/rubber seal on my MK7 recently. Tried the wiggling for a couple of minutes, and finally took the door off in less than 3 minutes. IMO just take the door off. It’s as easy as roll the window down, remove 3 screws, disconnect the wiring, and lift the door out. Install is as easy. No need to adjust anything.View attachment 278900
Interesting. I thought realigning the door when putting it back on would be a PITA. Good to know, but hope I'll never have to do it.