GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Brief update on PhoenixCar (Rick&Morty?): Had been getting a few faults and some burning oil over the last week, faults seem to point to bad PCV, and hopefully explains the oil burning, too. Though, the rings simply might not be seated 100% yet, either. VWR Catch can en route to replace PCV.

In the meantime though, I drove the car more than I have since I've had her back, thanks to a true day off and really nice (70*F!) weather. She ran really well, no faults! I am now at about 500 miles of break in... After I change the oil I'm going to start really getting on it, and should be able to get my tuner some WOT logs next week to really start fleshing out the tune. I'm both excited for that, and for going WOT for the first time since I've had the car back. :D

Also need to head over to Texas Track Works for an alignment. I forgot to mention before, I also installed the 034 Spherical Rear Trailing Arms. :) Oh, and of course, I upgraded my clutch. Went with Southbend Stage 3 Endurance.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Damn, dude! That's a lot of new stuff!

Awesome build and car looks great [emoji3]

Excellent build! That CS bumper is pure hotness.

Badass dude. Looks awesome!

Joining in - that Clubsport bumper cover is a sweet touch.

And almost forgot to say, thanks so much. I'm really happy with how the bumper turned out, I feel like it really sets it off and is super unique (3rd in the States as far as I know?)

I've had the car over 3 years now, since Aug 2014, and it's really come a long way. It's my first new car, and the first time I've delved into all of this. I love this effing thing, and the community.

Anyway, here are some pics of the build!

Will post more later!

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Amazing build. Any more pics of the front bumper in better lighting?

Not yet! I’m getting her detailed and CQuartz coated tomorrow, and plan on getting some nice pics :) Here are a couple I took highlighting the functionality of the bumper.. I don’t have any aux radiators so that air goes straight back to the tire wells I.e. brakes! I’ll likely get an oil cooler and put it behind one of the vents though.

you will need the setup like this to have any quality traction for any driving condition (DD, track, strip). =)

LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
She's getting a proper detail as a reward for going through a painstakingly long build process, much of which involved sitting outside :(

1 step paint correction, clay-bar, etc, and two coats of CQuartz UK Ceramic coating...

Preview!!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Hehe, that’s why I just left it there without saying anything [emoji51] completely caught me off guard too. I was like, why did the detailing guy send me this random ass picture?? [emoji28]

Few more engine build pics:

Ferrea Valve Spring Kit:

Cleaned everything up so nice:

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
man, this is an epic build thread... It seems like you an unlimited budget @_____@

Thanks man, and not quite... otherwise I'd have fueling and another set of wheels/tires as well :p

I did receive my first big bonus last year since I started working for Microsoft straight out of the Marines. Funny thing is I was in the infantry (0311, rah) as well, nothing to do with IT/computers. I was fortunate enough to find a program my last few months in the Marines that MSFT puts on, go through it and do well, interview at MSFT HQ, and someone liked me enough to hire me on full time to a top-tier team... AND I got to come back to the great state of Texas. On top of this, my wife makes good money as a night nurse, and we have no kids.

The majority of my bonus went to the car, obviously. Probably a little selfish, but lucky to have a wife that loves me and lets me spend my money on things, as long as the "joint" money is solid. :) I figured I wanted to build a fast car at least once, and probably best to do it when we don't have kids, right?

Anyway, after fueling and a set of daily wheels/tires (Going to use the Neuspeed's for track and get some new 19" wheels for daily, since I'll have more options that'll clear the giant BBK caliper), we're going to be saving up heavy for a house payment. Man I'd sure love a garage. Currently we have a pretty good setup on the top floor of some nice apartments, and I'm able to work on the car on the roof of the parking garage. It works, but nothing beats your own garage.

Anywho... enough rambling for now I suppose, better get back to work. ;)

quattrosaint

Enjoyed reading through your thread, car looks mean and must pull amazing. I'm heading to see Steve in a couple weeks to do my clutch and Wavetrac LSD install. Will likely end up going a very similar route to you.

Jason