GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission Rattle

armedferret

Ready to race!
Update, when I took it in last week the tech heard the noise and attributed it to a bad input shaft bearing. So far a new transmission has been ordered and will arrive in 6 to 8 weeks! After a year of going nearly insane and 6 visits to the dealer my problem should be solved!

Glad to hear man.

LONG ago I had a 92 integra. Lost a bearing on the input shaft driving from the twin cities back to central iowa.

That was a really long tow. And a really bad day. :D

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Over 14k miles and have owned car since new and zero rattle. Glad dealer is sorting it out for you.

aeozyalcin1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the exact same issue on my manual 2016 GTI. Mine was built in July 2015, do you know when yours was built?

I watched your video, and mine sounds exactly the same. Night and day difference clutch in vs. clutch out. I have 16-17k miles on my car.

Are there any updates on your car? Are they done installing the new transmission? I just took mine in last week, and they were able to hear it, and they kept my car. The local VW rep apparently came and listened and ordered them to drop the transmission right away. They haven't told what is making the noise yet, but I was suspecting the input shaft bearing just like you said. They told me they would fix "whatever it is" or replace the transmission. But no word yet, waiting to hear from the dealer for an update at this point...

Last edited:

Mr. Bubbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Update #2... After replacing the transmission, tech took on a test drive and it's now leaking coolant from the thermastat housing.......I'm not entirely sure how that occured given it never leaked prior....RiP

Mr. Bubbles

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the exact same issue on my manual 2016 GTI. Mine was built in July 2015, do you know when yours was built?

I watched your video, and mine sounds exactly the same. Night and day difference clutch in vs. clutch out. I have 16-17k miles on my car.

Are there any updates on your car? Are they done installing the new transmission? I just took mine in last week, and they were able to hear it, and they kept my car. The local VW rep apparently came and listened and ordered them to drop the transmission right away. They haven't told what is making the noise yet, but I was suspecting the input shaft bearing just like you said. They told me they would fix "whatever it is" or replace the transmission. But no word yet, waiting to hear from the dealer for an update at this point...

Sorry about not seeing this reply. I hope they are able to get your sorted. Mine was built in 2016 noticed the issue after 300 miles and now have 34k. It progressively got worse and was more noticable in the summer. My latest update is transmission was replaced but after they test drove it, its leaking coolant from thermastat housing. I wont hear back until Tuesday as to how it occured but they are replacing entire thermastat housing.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Update, when I took it in last week the tech heard the noise and attributed it to a bad input shaft bearing. So far a new transmission has been ordered and will arrive in 6 to 8 weeks! After a year of going nearly insane and 6 visits to the dealer my problem should be solved!

It's a long shot but maybe the dealer will install an aftermarket clutch assembly if you supply the parts. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Mr. Bubbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Ouch. Why rip tho? Won't they just replace that housing. Good thing you didn't get tuned yet.

The RiP was more for the fact I have been dealing with the issue for over a year and a half, missed a bunch of work as the dealer is 2 hrs one direction for me. I specifically waited to tune until all of this sorts itself out. I'm mostly frustrated that it seems they are kicking the can down the road as I have had 10 service appointments for the same complaint time and time again. Now they " fixed " the transmission and now its leaking coolant isn't encouraging. lol

nunex

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving your thread.
As the transmission swap got rid of the noise? Did the dealer found out the cause of the problem?
Thanks
N.

Enviado do meu E5823 através do Tapatalk

Mr. Bubbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving your thread.
As the transmission swap got rid of the noise? Did the dealer found out the cause of the problem?
Thanks
N.

Enviado do meu E5823 através do Tapatalk

Officially they cited a failed input shaft bearing. Since they changed transmission I have noticed similar noise, but not as pronounced. I put some motul gear300 trans fluid and it seemed to deaden most of the noise.

jswihart

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Glad I found this thread. I am currently experiencing the same. At first, I was thinking it may be the turbo actuator rod rattle some have. But then I noticed when I disengage the clutch, the noise goes away. It will then come back if i sit idle for 2 minutes or so, then will go away again with a press of the clutch. I have liqui moly trans fluid, just need to find time to do it. Will update whether the sound goes away or not after.

reeve_

Car(s)
GTI
Glad I found this thread. I am currently experiencing the same. At first, I was thinking it may be the turbo actuator rod rattle some have. But then I noticed when I disengage the clutch, the noise goes away. It will then come back if i sit idle for 2 minutes or so, then will go away again with a press of the clutch. I have liqui moly trans fluid, just need to find time to do it. Will update whether the sound goes away or not after.

Did you end up getting it sorted? I have a 2015 GTI that’s at around 45k miles on a CPO. The clutch is making the same rattling noise at engagement point, and every dealership I take it to had a different answer. I’m starting to assume it’s the TOB, and apparently it’s covered under warranty but the issue is, if they drop the transmission and everything is fine, I have to fork up $650 in labor. My warranty is coming up and I’m getting bored of the stock power. Do you think it’s worth the risk?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Did you end up getting it sorted? I have a 2015 GTI that’s at around 45k miles on a CPO. The clutch is making the same rattling noise at engagement point, and every dealership I take it to had a different answer. I’m starting to assume it’s the TOB, and apparently it’s covered under warranty but the issue is, if they drop the transmission and everything is fine, I have to fork up $650 in labor. My warranty is coming up and I’m getting bored of the stock power. Do you think it’s worth the risk?

Welcome to the forum. Since this is an older thread you might get his attention better by tagging him like this @jswihart .

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Since you’re in FL, why not try the Motul 300 gear oil? Its thicker than stock, and has been reported to be kinda stiff to shift in cold climates, but with location, you shouldn’t have any issues.

If the sound lessens, you’ll have your answer if the TOB is on its way out.

reeve_

Car(s)
GTI
Since you’re in FL, why not try the Motul 300 gear oil? Its thicker than stock, and has been reported to be kinda stiff to shift in cold climates, but with location, you shouldn’t have any issues.

If the sound lessens, you’ll have your answer if the TOB is on its way out.

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to add that to the list of things to do next week. Just to be sure I understand.. if the noise reduces with the fluid change, the TOB is likely to be fine?