GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Summer Tires

adam1991

Banned
Well, it's a summer tire.

Also, define "cold". I wouldn't drive a summer tire below, say, a consistent 50 deg F. Certainly 40 deg F.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
You're in Florida? I'm sure your summers will be fine there. I run my Falken's in cold temps, around 40 is the lowest I will go. If there's any snow or ice on the ground though, it's an absolute no-go. They definitely have less traction, but as long as you're not driving aggressively, they're fine.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The main issue with summer tires below 40F is if the tire gets flexed below this temperature. This is tire temp not air temp. If temp was 20F and you left your 60F garage, the tires would drive ok and likely stay warm from driving. But, if you parked the car outside at 20F and then drive to work, the sidewall rubber has a better chance of cracking as it is not made for this. If you store tire below 40F it is likely ok as long as you do not inflate or deflate the tire while it is below 40F. If warmed to above 40F then cracking not as likely.

Yes grip is reduced at cooler temps but the big issue below 40F (tire temp) is cracking from rubber flex.

For Fed if the morning temp happens to be below 40F, just wait till it warms up. Then drive.
Sleep in or drive the golf cart around.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The Michelin PSS on my old car definitely lost grip when the temperature dropped below 40F ambient. However, as long as you're driving cautiously, you'll be OK unless it's also snowing.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve been running Indy 500 still here in Charlotte, not ideal but I’m also not beating on the car while it’s below 55*.

It was 28* on my drive into work today