GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI Autobahn at a dealer near me

adam1991

Banned
with DSG. list price (including destination) is shown as US$37,440--which is up from the 2017 list price of US$36,015.

$1425 is not an insignificant increase.

This one shows that it has SiriusXM radio; I know it was standard on 2017, but I thought I read that it was no longer standard in 2018? Maybe only on Autobahn? Or maybe this dealer is using an old boilerplate description that hasn't been updated for 2018? I'd have to go find that 2018 configuration sheet again. EDIT: not standard on the S, standard on the SE and Autobahn.

It is showing the 6 year/72k mile warranty, both bumper to bumper and powertrain. Roadside assistance stays at 3 year/36k miles, but corrosion perforation warranty is up to 7 years/100k miles. I'm guessing that's a no-brainer, really; when was the last time you saw rust perforation on a modern car anywhere near as early as the 7 year mark?

EDIT: the order guide shows a RETRACTABLE cargo cover. Now I'm interested. I'd like that instead of the hard cover of my 2017. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
2016 GTI had 12 year / 120,000 mile Limited Warranty against Corrosion Perforation. Its strange that VW has reduced the term for it.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
That probably includes destination and whatever optional addons they included (roadside kit, floor mats, cargo blocks, etc).

MSRP is 36,170 + 850 destination.

adam1991

Banned
Well, I did specifically say it includes destination.

VW's site isn't showing the 2018s yet, so I couldn't find any 2018 pricing.

MSRP on the 2017 Autobahn/DSG was $34,395 plus a separate line item of $800 for DCC (don't know why that was listed separate on the Monroney) for a total of $35,195 plus $850 destination.

If your pricing is right, then MSRP went up $1000.

Again, I don't know why DCC is listed separate on my Monroney. Is it the same on the 2018s? If so, you need to add $800 to your 2018 price. That would make it an $1800 increase in list price.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You can try having service pull up the VIN, it should list the options. And perhaps VW is taking literary license when they refer to the cargo cover as retractable.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Well, I did specifically say it includes destination.

VW's site isn't showing the 2018s yet, so I couldn't find any 2018 pricing.

MSRP on the 2017 Autobahn/DSG was $34,395 plus a separate line item of $800 for DCC (don't know why that was listed separate on the Monroney) for a total of $35,195 plus $850 destination.

If your pricing is right, then MSRP went up $1000.

Again, I don't know why DCC is listed separate on my Monroney. Is it the same on the 2018s? If so, you need to add $800 to your 2018 price. That would make it an $1800 increase in list price.

Is there any other options that now come standard on the Autobahn that didn't come standard on previous models? Is the Drive Assistance Package a standard feature on the Autobahn trim for 2018? If so, that could be the reason for the increase in price, albeit shitty.

adam1991

Banned
Yes, what was previously the DAP is now standard on the 2018 Autobahn. So, if it's a $1500 increase in sticker price, it's because of that.

Loonster

Ready to race!
2016 GTI had 12 year / 120,000 mile Limited Warranty against Corrosion Perforation. Its strange that VW has reduced the term for it.

Maybe they realized some of them would be sold in Minnesota where all the worlds salt is deposited during the winter months.

AJ15

Ready to race!
Geez, I had no idea the top trim GTI's were nearing $40k.. Getting a Sport for $24k is a real bargain... ~$35K (assuming you don't pay sticker) for a GTI seems like a lot less of a good deal to me.

adam1991

Banned

2017 had that same thing.

I'm guessing that somewhere in the VW actuarial department, they traded off the rust perforation warranty down and gave it over to B2B, and somehow in their calculations they sold that to senior management as "cost neutral".

That gave marketing a tool to use to sell cars. "I know--we'll call it The People's Warranty!"

I would trust a VW not to rust long before I'd trust it not to have some expensive defects for 6 years/72K miles, frankly. Maybe I'm wrong--in fact, I hope I'm wrong. I hope VW put some serious effort into reducing defects and reducing warranty costs, to the point where they're comfortable now taking what amounts to my car and covering it for longer.

If that's the case, my odds against having any defects in my 2017 are pretty good.

I hope to re-visit this in 6 years and say, dang, I won--I got the 2017 with all the improvements made toward reducing defects that allowed them to increase the warranty in 2018. And I got my 2017 for $6K less than a 2018.