GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
This is great! He is one of the techs at my dealership and one of the guys I recently spoke with about getting an APR tune. Leith VW in Cary, NC.

Sorry to resurrect this but that's super cool that Charles works at Leith. They are my local dealer too. I'll have to pick his brain on some stuff in person.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Can someone tell me if changing tail lights to OEM led ones will void warranty? I saw someone selling a set because they said it will void their warranty if they get the lights programed... I find this extremely hard to believe, why on earth would a set of tail lights void warranty?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Can someone tell me if changing tail lights to OEM led ones will void warranty? I saw someone selling a set because they said it will void their warranty if they get the lights programed... I find this extremely hard to believe, why on earth would a set of tail lights void warranty?

If you start having electrical issues they will blame it on your lights or or any adapter used for installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsi7

Ready to race!
If you start having electrical issues they will blame it on your lights or or any adapter used for installation.

I can see that, but, what if it's OEM lights and an OEM adapter? How can they justify it when those parts could easily be bought over the counter from a VW dealer? (Ok maybe not the EURO leds but it's still an OEM part)

For example, I installed a gti muffler a week ago, and the muffler is original off a GTI with the part number and everything...surely they can't refuse to do warranty work because of modified exhaust, since 1 it's an OEM part and 2 it doesn't actually effect anything (doesn't even change exhaust back pressure or anything)

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Dealer hasn't even noticed my LED Euro tails in the half dozen times I've gone in for warranty work. It was all unrelated to electrical or taillights though.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
So some more info I found out, the seller I was speaking to who has the LED's was told that if the dealer doesn't program the lights, it will void warranty...

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Some dealers could give a hard time others will not, is not like they will see the lights and automatically void anything.
If by any chance you have a problem not related to you electric system they will never mention the lights or care about them only if you have an issue related to the new part.
I understand that it’s ridiculous if the part is OEM and using OEM parts but remember that they get reimbursed by VW and if the lights don’t belong on your car from the factory they will not risk not getting paid.
I don’t think that you have anything to worry about, if and this is a big IF you need warranty work related to your concern and they deny the claim worse that will happen is that they ask you to install the original lights back on and return or take it to another dealer and get the issue fixed that’s why I keep my original headlights handy just in case.
Sorry if I’m not making any sense but I’m tired and is raining like crazy and need a nap :)

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Some dealers could give a hard time others will not, is not like they will see the lights and automatically void anything.
If by any chance you have a problem not related to you electric system they will never mention the lights or care about them only if you have an issue related to the new part.
I understand that it’s ridiculous if the part is OEM and using OEM parts but remember that they get reimbursed by VW and if the lights don’t belong on your car from the factory they will not risk not getting paid.
I don’t think that you have anything to worry about, if and this is a big IF you need warranty work related to your concern and they deny the claim worse that will happen is that they ask you to install the original lights back on and return or take it to another dealer and get the issue fixed that’s why I keep my original headlights handy just in case.
Sorry if I’m not making any sense but I’m tired and is raining like crazy and need a nap :)

Makes perfect sense, i'm actually the warranty administrator at a Honda dealership, so I know exactly how warranty works and the ins and outs, but unfortunately, I only know Honda warranty :D I figured VW was different which is why I wanted to get an idea. I'm doing exactly as you said and keep every single OEM part I took off the car in case I have to revert back to stock for warranty purposes... not that I'm really worried since all i've done so far is cosmetic, but the next thing on the list is OEM led tails, eventually... (I suppose that's still cosmetic, but since it involves some form of electrical it could be considered more then just cosmetic)

cb1111

Any part (OEM or not) that you put on your car that didn't come with your car can cause warranty woes.

If the part was an optional part on your car that you've added then there is a tiny chance that it will cause warranty issues.

If you've added a part from a different model (i.e. GTI part on a Golf) then the possibility of warranty issues rise - as do parts from different countries.

Aftermarket parts raise the possibilities far more.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

I can see that, but, what if it's OEM lights and an OEM adapter? How can they justify it when those parts could easily be bought over the counter from a VW dealer? (Ok maybe not the EURO leds but it's still an OEM part)

For example, I installed a gti muffler a week ago, and the muffler is original off a GTI with the part number and everything...surely they can't refuse to do warranty work because of modified exhaust, since 1 it's an OEM part and 2 it doesn't actually effect anything (doesn't even change exhaust back pressure or anything)

The techs snapped the clip that holds the fuse box lid on when I took it it for my 10k inspection. I didnt notice it til I took it in for an oil change at 17k and asked them to fix it because I didnt do it, and I know I didnt because I have never opened it, and they denied a warranty repair because I had "aftermarket lights under the dashboard." The lights they were talking about were the deAutoKey under dash LEDs, a plug and play led module. AKA no wiring to the fuse box, which is what they blamed it on. Dealers will literally say anything to get out of repairing your car if they can.

cb1111

The techs snapped the clip that holds the fuse box lid on when I took it it for my 10k inspection. I didnt notice it til I took it in for an oil change at 17k and asked them to fix it because I didnt do it, and I know I didnt because I have never opened it, and they denied a warranty repair because I had "aftermarket lights under the dashboard." The lights they were talking about were the deAutoKey under dash LEDs, a plug and play led module. AKA no wiring to the fuse box, which is what they blamed it on. Dealers will literally say anything to get out of repairing your car if they can.
Why would the techs have opened the fuse box during the inspection?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why would the techs have opened the fuse box during the inspection?

I would assume to inspect the fuses...?

Unless they broke it while doing something else under the hood, like checking the air filter or something.
All I know is, while I have owned the car, I had never touched the fuse box until the day I noticed it was broken while I was wiping down my engine bay. I went to wipe the fuse box cover and it was loose.

cb1111

I would assume to inspect the fuses...?

Unless they broke it while doing something else under the hood, like checking the air filter or something.
All I know is, while I have owned the car, I had never touched the fuse box until the day I noticed it was broken while I was wiping down my engine bay. I went to wipe the fuse box cover and it was loose.
It may have been broken during PDI.

If you have the instructions for installing the lights, then I'd open a case with VWoA. If you had no reason to go to the fusebox and the only people servicing the car to date have been the dealer then there is no legit reason for denying the claim.

Three years after the dealer swapped LED's into my Acura interior, the fuse for the cigarette lighter would blow frequently.

The dealer said it was because the LEDs draw more power (huh?). A quick call to Acura got that resolved. Turned out it was a defective lighter socket.