GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some of These Car Features Go Too Far

EXEA189

Ready to race!
I'm not too sure what all of VW's "Eco tips" are, but I had started my Gti and was doing something with my iPhone and an eco tip popped up on the MFD about how idling for too long wastes gas.

Then a friend said he was driving in the interstate with his windows down, and his 2017 Golf Wolfsburg pooped a message up... something about "Don't be a drag, it's more aerodynamic with the windows up." Apparently the car knows when you're at highway speed and the windows are down. LOL!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm not too sure what all of VW's "Eco tips" are, but I had started my Gti and was doing something with my iPhone and an eco tip popped up on the MFD about how idling for too long wastes gas.

Then a friend said he was driving in the interstate with his windows down, and his 2017 Golf Wolfsburg pooped a message up... something about "Don't be a drag, it's more aerodynamic with the windows up." Apparently the car knows when you're at highway speed and the windows are down. LOL!

First I hear of this one. Anyone try it?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Monitoring and reporting is all part of the essential framework for eventual autonomous operation. Already there are systems that allow cars to talk to each other and exchange information, as well as report information to other monitors. It makes sense that internally the vehicle has to be aware of pretty much everything going on in its own systems, and those systems are already highly computerized (which means, totally monitored and recorded in some fashion).

Don't expect the car manufacturers to resist this trend either. They care not one whit whether the products they sell are engaging road machines requiring operator skill and engagement, or interchangeable autonomous people pods. As long as they sell something, to someone, and it has their label on it, it's golden. And make no mistake: autonomous operation, or even semi-autonomous operation, will require near universal integration of all the vehicles on the road. Not immediately, of course, but the logic is pretty clear. You can't put in the money for the infrastructure, you can't deliver on the promise of safety, without pretty much every car being in and integrated with the system. So even if, for a while at least, you have a car you "can" drive yourself, it will have an override mode for when you transition, say, into the Los Angeles Autonomous Motor Vehicle Zone, where the system (SkyNet?) will take over your fancy Mk XII GTI and plod you along at 35MPH in bumper to bumper traffic.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I've received both of those messages in my 17' 4Motion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Considering other humans have a very difficult time determining my thoughts and mood based on my facial expressions I would be very hard pressed to believe that a car will be capable of that any time soon... I wonder if it will have a back off mode when I stare at it angrily. And if it turns on the god damn music when I want it to be silent it should know what's coming for it. That's already a problem with my golf, it's been turning on the music every time I start the car for the past few weeks now and it's irritating...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
My foot accidentally bumped into the accelerator while the car was running and in Park. I caught a glimpse of another Eco Tip, but will have to recreate the scenario to pick up the exact message.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

zimmie2652

Ready to race!

First thing I did was figure out running off certain tips via vagcom. I got tired of the windows one constantly popping up real quick.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
No need for vagcom, I believe you can disable eco tips under Car button > cog symbol.
I just wish VW would allow me to reset throttle and trans adapt on my own, with their blessing. For these items "learning my habits" seems to lead to rough 3-2 shifts. Fine tune that first please, before moving on to all these "enhancements". [emoji41]

edit sorry wasn't meant as a response to the quote. Just a general sarcastic comment.