GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIVE from Paris Show: Debut of 2013 GTI and Golf [Photos]

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Most intriguing were the engine bay photos. Lot of relocations.

I definitely noticed that too. After studying the engine pics for about 30mins I noticed the following:

- Short Intake run length to the compressor inlet. (Opposite of the bay)
- Oil Cap has been moved. Looks like it fills the chain tensioner area first now.
- Oil Filter ultilizes the DSG Filter housing cap now. Much like the FSI
- ECU has been rellocated to the engine bay between the battery and fuse box.
- Intake box has a smaller, what I'm assuming, SAI breather line.
- Intake manifold Cover
- Engine cover looks awesome
- Exposed turbo. (Seems IHI makes this one too judging by the branding
- Engine mount looks the same design. Expect upgrades to be easy.
- Washer fluid reservoir has moved to the opposite side of the bay
- Intake RAM ducting runs the length of the front end

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Right off the bat I love it.

only things I DISLIKE are the cruise control being on the wheel (looks WAYYYY cluttered) and the move of the window switches (but it protects them from water down there).

Really makes me excited about an R.

I very much agree with you. If the R has the S3 driveline, it'll be a homerun.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I don't hate it. But I'm not drooling over it either. It will grow on me I'm sure.....just like the MK6 did. I wasn't thrilled with the MK6 when it first came out, but I ended up buying one (and loved it).

Michal0061

I don't hate it. But I'm not drooling over it either. It will grow on me I'm sure.....just like the MK6 did. I wasn't thrilled with the MK6 when it first came out, but I ended up buying one (and loved it).

Same here. Does anyone know how much HP and TQ Mk6 GTI has?

BTW we need more smiles. :eek:

stradovinski

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure how I feel about 3 things:
Side badging..meh can be removed I am sure.
Headlights with the red stripe..
Red stictching on the leather..

Otherwise I think it looks great.

My initial thoughts exactly. That red stripe going all the way across really becomes the dominant feature from the front. May take a while to grow on me.

vdubbing

Overall, I really like the new GTI, and I know it will grow on me even more... The only things that I am not crazy about are:

- Headlight shape - don't like how they cut into the front bumper (I don't mind the red stripe)
- Interior - Gloss black trim on the middle console, and its angle bias towards the driver
- Seat adjustment - STILL MANUAL for the 2 door trim --- WHY ?!!?!?!

Everything else, in my opinion is just perfect... I absolutely LOVE the rear end and the GTI tail lights :)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Overall, I really like the new GTI, and I know it will grow on me even more... The only things that I am not crazy about are:

- Headlight shape - don't like how they cut into the front bumper (I don't mind the red stripe)
- Interior - Gloss black trim on the middle console, and its angle bias towards the driver
- Seat adjustment - STILL MANUAL for the 2 door trim --- WHY ?!!?!?!

Everything else, in my opinion is just perfect... I absolutely LOVE the rear end and the GTI tail lights :)

The rear of the car is awesome. It could use some bigger tips. :D

I'm not a fan of the gloss black trim either. Gives it a cheap feel. However, the angled IP is definitely a huge plus. Something I loved in my older civic.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
The first thing you see is that damn red strip through the headlights. If somebody did that mod on their MK6 we'd all give them shit. In some pictures the red strip on the lights doesn't bug me, but in most it does. It's clearly inside the headlight, which is surely sealed, so we'll have to get used to that one.

I like the red pin striping on the leather, because I always felt the leather was missing a little color compared to the cloth. I like that the interior plastic on the center stack and around the gauges is not faux-carbon fiber, but also isn't flat black or shiny black. Side badge is sort of interesting... not sure on that one. Not in love with the rear honeycomb, but it's not terrible. I also like our MK6 steering wheel way better overall.

I'm not sure if we'll get those exact tail lights. They don't seem to have a DOT required side reflector on them, or maybe I'm just missing it.

Still digesting, but I'd have no problem getting this as my next car in a few years after I wear this one out (I drive a lot of miles). I'm really curious to see the R variant. I almost got an R this time, but backed off for several reasons. I don't think any of those reasons will exist this next time. Of course it must be said... that is IF the R comes to the states again.

ghotch

MKVI Owner
Car(s)
2010 GTI
Right off the bat I love it.

only things I DISLIKE are the cruise control being on the wheel (looks WAYYYY cluttered) and the move of the window switches (but it protects them from water down there).

Really makes me excited about an R.

It looks like the steering wheel has all the Euro options so maybe the US version won't be so cluttered.

Anybody notice the small window in front of the rear view mirrors?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Anybody notice the small window in front of the rear view mirrors?

Sure did. I think its becoming a visual standard for sight.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Added the full official press release with specs/stats into the first post of the thread.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Couple of things that bother me/question.

- I don't like the fake leather seats they look cheap to me. Especailly when comparing them to the currently autobahn seats.
- Why would VW put the ECU open like that in the engine bay? We all know its gonna be encrypted but this just makes it easier for tuners to access.
- The red stripe through the head light is going to screw up a lot of peoples plans to run a golf grill. You can get rid of the stripe on the grill but that one inside the headlight isn't going anywhere.

Some things I do like
- Door sills finally.
- Easier access to the turbo
- The side profile is growing on me but the front and back still need a bit more time.

Currently reading through the Specs that have been added to the front page.

Stage 2 even though it only gains 10hp and no extra tq it sounds like it gets the R brakes and a LSD :)

This pleases me!

Last edited: