GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Those with o2 spacers and CEL free

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
280 miles on the ATP DP, 240 of them on e30 and I got a P042000 cat inefficiency on the way to fill up this morning. No spacer, so to be expected. I'm going to put the J-spacer with no insert on when the exhaust cools down, assuming I can get it to fit with the VAQ by the bung.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
This is my dilemma, I don't think I have room for the J spacer between the O2 bung and the silver box (VAQ?). The flex pipe is post bung, so it won't help me if the spacer is hitting the VAQ. 42DD might be my best bet since the angle is pretty tight.

Vid is with no spacer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByjYfog-pv4zUnpxVUw2ck9WS0k

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
It ended up fitting fine. I was mistaking the generally bad fitment of the pipe with spacer on VAQ contact when initially installed.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Rich to Lean code now, and I smell a little exhaust. I'll get the turbo gasket on there and probably a fresh v-band clamp as well.

The V-band clamp that came with the pipe has got to be a joke. Looks like this one and there is no way I am getting the screw into the nut when mounted, there is a huge gap and it cant be closed.

AlienSP

Ready to race!
The V-band clamp that came with the pipe has got to be a joke. Looks like this one and there is no way I am getting the screw into the nut when mounted, there is a huge gap and it cant be closed.

I hear ya. Few weeks ago I installed my CTS DP with a new gasket and came up short with the original V-band. I ended up holding the DP in place and bumping the band with a rubber hammer gently until the ends met. Although I've only used anti-seize on motorcycle exhausts, maybe a little Permatex 77134 on the inside of the band would make the wrap easier. To keep things on-topic, 800miles with catted CTS DP, vibrant J-bend, not a single CEL. Medium spacer, spacer turned against flow at 1 o'clock position.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I hear ya. Few weeks ago I installed my CTS DP with a new gasket and came up short with the original V-band. I ended up holding the DP in place and bumping the band with a rubber hammer gently until the ends met. Although I've only used anti-seize on motorcycle exhausts, maybe a little Permatex 77134 on the inside of the band would make the wrap easier. To keep things on-topic, 800miles with catted CTS DP, vibrant J-bend, not a single CEL. Medium spacer, spacer turned against flow at 1 o'clock position.

I remounted the DP yesterday with a new gasket and yeah that ATP brand V-band is literally an impossible fit. The groove for the turbo/dp flanges is far too narrow. What I ended up doing was mounting the V-band rotated 90 degrees, since the bad fitment and resulting gap of my DP/turbo flange occurs at the bottom, as can be seen by the soot on the V-band there. By rotating 90 degrees I should be covering the gap with as much solid V-band as possible instead of the link on the bottom of the band, where it is not solid and allows exhaust gases to escape. If I still have problems with exhaust I am probably going to try to get the DP replaced by ATP under warranty, and if that fails live with it until I can't stand it any more and buy an APR.

On a side note, anyone else have those white markings on certain parts? I noticed them here on the turbo, and ironically on the "Plug D" I broke installing the JB4 and replaced. Wondering if they are a sneaky way for the dealer to recognize original parts.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
On a side note, anyone else have those white markings on certain parts? I noticed them here on the turbo, and ironically on the "Plug D" I broke installing the JB4 and replaced. Wondering if they are a sneaky way for the dealer to recognize original parts.

I have markings on almost all my screws, parts, etc. I thought the same thing. 10/16 build date.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
P013E00 again, Rich to Lean. I'll have to get back up on jackstands and see if I think Joel's straight through will fit. If either Joel or Diggs has it off the pipe, can you measure the length for me?

Edit: Might switch back to no spacer just to see if I damaged the o2 sensor. If I get an inefficient cat message again like last time, I know it is OK.

Last edited:

Joel

Ready to race!
P013E00 again, Rich to Lean. I'll have to get back up on jackstands and see if I think Joel's straight through will fit. If either Joel or Diggs has it off the pipe, can you measure the length for me?

Edit: Might switch back to no spacer just to see if I damaged the o2 sensor. If I get an inefficient cat message again like last time, I know it is OK.
It is still installed because it s working. But i can probably still get a length later when the engine cools down. Guessing between 2.75 and 3 inches ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Joel

Ready to race!
It is still installed because it s working. But i can probably still get a length later when the engine cools down. Guessing between 2.75 and 3 inches ...

Does the ATP downpipe have two bungs? One pre cat? Pictures make it look so...

If it does you may have luck running the spacer with insert there.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Does the ATP downpipe have two bungs? One pre cat? Pictures make it look so...

If it does you may have luck running the spacer with insert there.

Yeah that's the F'd up thing about this ATP, is that all the pictures show that bung, it was one of the reasons for buying it, it even CAME with a bung plug, and there is no bung on top. I have to detach V-band, jack up car, detach resonator clamp, and twist the thing around in the hanger while I super awkwardly shoving an o2 socket wrench up there to get the sensor loose. From now on I think I'll just remove the pipe to change the spacer and put it back in.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
That sucks. I just lean over my car and can reach it easily with my hands.

Yeah it does. I can reach it, but there is no way I can turn it blind with the long reach and super close proximity to other components.

Joel

Ready to race!
Got to give MAP credit for the O2 placement.
Can swap in 15 minutes while drinking a beer.