GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance winter tires for dry road traction

ashiun

Ready to race!
Given that I'm already spinning in 2nd on 225/45/17 super sports... I'd imagine I'm going to have close to no traction on 205/55/16 winter tires during the following cold months.

I don't get much snow around here, and the majority of my winter driving is going to be on dry roads in -4c - 5c temperatures. Any recommended tires for this? I've heard about Sottozero 3s and Michline PA4s but would like some more input.

I know I'm going to have less traction going narrower in the first place, but I'm hoping the taller sidewall will help with fore/aft traction a bit, along with my heavy steel wheels resisting breaking loose.

m00se

Ready to race!
Hakkapeliitta are known for their deep snow, powder performance. I would not recommend if you're only looking at dry traction, as they tend to be pretty noisy on pavement. Great tires for around here though

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Hakkapeliitta are known for their deep snow, powder performance. I would not recommend if you're only looking at dry traction, as they tend to be pretty noisy on pavement. Great tires for around here though

Blizzak ws80 then? What’s your Rec ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Maybe worth looking at performance winter, but I’ve had Dunlops, the previous rev of their winter performance tire, and was unimpressed for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I personally went with Nokian-wrg3 in the stock tire size (225 45 18). They have been great for all weather conditions. Though I'm still rocking the stock tune. In the dry I have to try to break the tires loose in 1st and 2nd gear with traction control enabled.

So the reason I went with the Nokian-wrg3 is because it seemed to offer the best overall performance in my climate in Baltimore Maryland. It was also one of the only v-rated winter biased tires I could find. We typically don't typically have a lot of snow here but we have plenty of below freezing days so having good cold weather traction was a big factor in going with these tires.

If I didn't have to deal with snow at all but still had to deal with sub freezing temperatures from time to time I'd consider the Michelin AS3+ or the Continental DWS 06. If you ever need to deal with black ice I'd recommend the WRG3

m00se

Ready to race!
Blizzak ws80 then? What’s your Rec ?

That's what I've been using for the last two seasons. I like them, they're easy to track, have been pretty reliable and responsive in quick maneuvers. Not too noisy compared to other winter tires. I would recommend. They're similar to the Xice but at a more affordable price. I would buy again.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Love my Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's

Rabid Skunk

Hey, I'm looking for an extra set of rims to put winter tires on. Will 15" rims off a 2010 Golf still fit on a 2017 Golf?
I can't see VW changing the lug pattern between those years but you never know.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I'm torn between the Winter Sottozero 3s and the Michelin Pa4 for winter performance. My DD would be mostly on dry/wet roads with no snow.

Had the Sottozero 3s on 225/18 last winter and the car was a beast super happy with that setup and looking forward to swapping my wheels. Most of my driving was cold/wet with a couple days of bad snow.

You can't go wrong with either.