GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Shift Knob - any regrets?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I've been eyeing this since it was released. Assumed it would be the best since it share the same slant on the top like the stock knob does. I thought I would have wanted it to sit shorter than the factory, but you're saying it's nice up high -- i.e. where the factory knob sits?

Depends really on how you set it up. Its rather adjustable. I have the longer neck version so for me prerfict height was a little lower on the stock linkage. I personally wanted my knob up higher. If you like it low you can set it like that. Its very versatile

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
I don't regret adding my Boomba knob at all-- a great improvement over the OEM, the reduced throw is a bonus. It's unfortunate that you have to physically separate the boot from the knob but the groove on the Boomba coupled with the zip tie secure the boot for a finished look.
Agreed. I also have the Boomba shift knob and I love it.

GTIMK7T

Ready to race!
Full track ready but your still JB1?!

OOOOO I love the raceseng SPherology. I had it for the last 2 years, Love the weight and the finish. Now i have the Raceseng Circuit Cylinder

I was teh same btw. I started with just a jb1 and an intake....then a downpipe....then a dv+....then shifter items, etc. Now im full blown track ready with a wing/splitter/track tires hahaha

Enjoy the journey! I really suggest Raceseng though over everyone, the weight and quality is there.

ashiun

Ready to race!
tim

hahah im super not local but kinda lol. 3-4 hours isn't so bad, I run with the race team with LD/ZR/DW

Fun Times!

Yeah I noticed by the big wang haha

So you have the circuir 150 one, and it sits just below stock shift knob? I really love the stock shift knob, if only it was weighted, ans I guess this is as close as it gets.

Edir: nvm saw that you said it's adjustable.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Depends really on how you set it up. Its rather adjustable. I have the longer neck version so for me prerfict height was a little lower on the stock linkage. I personally wanted my knob up higher. If you like it low you can set it like that. Its very versatile

Good to know. I don't mind the height of the stock knob, but if I could have it sit one arm rest level lower, I think it would be great. The delrin doesnt feel... cheap?

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Good to know. I don't mind the height of the stock knob, but if I could have it sit one arm rest level lower, I think it would be great. The delrin doesnt feel... cheap?

Mine sits lower than stock. It's just right. The delrin feels great!

Attachments

• 19424234_10203154139450873_3759198658013315713_n.jpg
    19424234_10203154139450873_3759198658013315713_n.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,100

ashiun

Ready to race!
Mine sits lower than stock. It's just right. The delrin feels great!

Looks absolutely great... that's going to be my next shift knob 100%, WHEN I can afford it.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, these amazing after market shift knobs make me wonder why the hell VW doesn't offer at least a factory option heavier, shorter-throw version of the stock knob. I mean, yeah, the stock knob is not bad looking, and kind of iconic, but it's feather light and feels chintzy. On the R, in particular, which is not by any standards these days a cheap car, the knob feels like it came off of a Yaris or something.

Matthewpt

Ready to race!
19048509-5354-408C-A79B-12599395740F.jpeg

81D5BC3C-2429-4A1A-A228-096E0A723598.jpeg

Got the BFI SCHWARZ Air Leather shift knob and paired it with red coin to match my custom steering wheel.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I've been eyeing this since it was released. Assumed it would be the best since it share the same slant on the top like the stock knob does. I thought I would have wanted it to sit shorter than the factory, but you're saying it's nice up high -- i.e. where the factory knob sits?

According to my measurements it's practically identical to OE height. However it "feels" slightly taller because of it's design.

Maybe I missed something? If I did, how can it be adjusted?

Yeah I noticed by the big wang haha

So you have the circuir 150 one, and it sits just below stock shift knob? I really love the stock shift knob, if only it was weighted, ans I guess this is as close as it gets.

Edir: nvm saw that you said it's adjustable.

There is no way Circuit 150 can sit lower than stock. I have Circuit 100 and it sits at stock height, Circuit 150 is much taller.

Last edited:

ashiun

Ready to race!
Yeah I got confused for a bit. It looked perfect height from the pictures.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Maybe I missed something? If I did, how can it be adjusted?

There is no way Circuit 150 can sit lower than stock. I have Circuit 100 and it sits at stock height, Circuit 150 is much taller.

To adjust the height, you simply slide it up and down the shifter stalk to your preferred height. My Circuit 100 at the lowest possible setting is definitely lower than stock, however, mine is attached to the Ology adapter, b/c the Circuit adapter wouldn't slide all the way down the stalk.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
To adjust the height, you simply slide it up and down the shifter stalk to your preferred height. My Circuit 100 at the lowest possible setting is definitely lower than stock, however, mine is attached to the Ology adapter, b/c the Circuit adapter wouldn't slide all the way down the stalk.

Interesting. My Circuit adapter went in just fine, and at the lowest setting (any lower and it would start compressing the spring) the shifter sits at the stock height (see my thread on Vortex). Is Ology adapter shorter than the Circuit?

bennybmn

Ready to race!
So let's say I like the stock height, and that I have an Alltrack (I swear I read somewhere the GTI has a shorter stalk, but I could be crazy), and I want an aftermarket knob that also keeps the boot at a similar height as stock, what are my options?

In other words, I've seen some taller or extended knobs where the extension is above the boot, so it looks crammed down into the console. I like the loose teepee look. But I want more weight.

I also have access to a machine shop, so if custom adapter is part of the answer, that's fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk