GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 with discount vs 2018 with updated warranty

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Here is CA, I paid $22k for a GTI S DSG.
All Total 24K out the door, that was back in February.
If you can get close to that deal today one is being taken to the cleaners!

Only $2k for sales tax, tags, and destination? Impossible, the math doesn't work. Sales tax alone would be around $2k. Tags in CA outrageously high. Destination costs a bundle. C'mon man.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Have you tried using TrueCar or something similar? They'll connect you to their dealer network, and you can see each one's prices. I checked Tucson, AZ, and it looks like the average TrueCar dealer price is 25.5k.

Only one VW dealer in Tucson, zero competition. Much better deals to be had in metro Phoenix. Never heard much of anything positive about Chapman in Tucson.

OP: Try Tukk at VW North Scottsdale. He's their #1 rep and great to deal with. Will bend over backwards to make a deal. Knows his stuff.

I bought my R from Steven Porter at Larry H Miller in Avondale in June of last year. Not sure if he's still there. Got a great deal and a VERY smooth transaction overall, including no BS from the F&I guy at closing. Would definitely buy there again.

Good luck!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Only $2k for sales tax, tags, and destination? Impossible, the math doesn't work. Sales tax alone would be around $2k. Tags in CA outrageously high. Destination costs a bundle. C'mon man.

Typically people include destination fee in selling price as its listed in window sticker. That might have been the case here.

Anchorjaw

Passed Driver's Ed
Man seeing what others paid for their 2017 Sports is really making me feel like I got gypped. I got mine for 30 otd in LA in April. Honestly though I don't really feel that bad about it since I really feel like the car was still worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Man seeing what others paid for their 2017 Sports is really making me feel like I got gypped. I got mine for 30 otd in LA in April. Honestly though I don't really feel that bad about it since I really feel like the car was still worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
That's So Cal. I paid 28,6 OTD back in July for my Sport. I mentioned that price to several dealers within a one hour drive and none of them could beat that price. Santa Monica VW straight told me no.

I mentioned "east coast pricing" and all of them said no way. They don't even want to waste their time talking to you.

Alhambra VW called as I was pulling in to Parkway VW to pick up my car. I was on the phone with their sales guy for 30 mins. Best he could do was 29 something. All my negotiating was done over the phone.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
idk in CA, but in CT your trade in is deducted from the selling price before they figure out tax. I will say if the numbers are correct it was a great deal.

side note: picked up my Sport two weeks ago. I had put $2500 on my credit card (will pay off by 30 days). My dealer called "we have a problem" It seems instead of charging me $2500 the credited me that amount. $5000 error in Mud's favor!!! I will be going by to sort it out but there is a big oops.

illuminator82

Passed Driver's Ed

Yes, the destination charge was included, and I will tell you it was 24k out the door.

If you can't get that good of price, let me know and I will negotiate for you-for a fee:D

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Typically people include destination fee in selling price as its listed in window sticker. That might have been the case here.

The math STILL doesn't work. $2k for sales tax alone. Registration will add another $500-$700 in California. His numbers are bogus.

Mr Illuminator, why not just post the exact itemized total? Ballparking a bogus number is unhelpful.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
The math STILL doesn't work. $2k for sales tax alone. Registration will add another $500-$700 in California. His numbers are bogus.

Mr Illuminator, why not just post the exact itemized total? Ballparking a bogus number is unhelpful.

Depending on the county where he bought his car, the sales tax could've been as low as 7.5%.

My registration fee was $297.75 when I bought my car in LA county last year.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MK7 AP2

Go Kart Newbie
Only one VW dealer in Tucson, zero competition. Much better deals to be had in metro Phoenix. Never heard much of anything positive about Chapman in Tucson.

OP: Try Tukk at VW North Scottsdale. He's their #1 rep and great to deal with. Will bend over backwards to make a deal. Knows his stuff.

I bought my R from Steven Porter at Larry H Miller in Avondale in June of last year. Not sure if he's still there. Got a great deal and a VERY smooth transaction overall, including no BS from the F&I guy at closing. Would definitely buy there again.

Good luck!

There is actually a Larry Miller dealership in Tucson as well, came in at $28.8k. I am starting to think $28k might not be terrible OTD for a 2017 Sport. A new 2018 SE will likely push $35k OTD here.

I tried VW North Scottsdale as well, not specifically Tukk though. That was a mistake, $32k OTD LOL. Literally $3k higher than anyone else. The guy did everything but call me a liar when I said I was seeing $5k+ routine discounts.

Do they not take you seriously online? Maybe I need to go actually visit a few.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I tried VW North Scottsdale as well, not specifically Tukk though. That was a mistake, $32k OTD LOL. Literally $3k higher than anyone else. The guy did everything but call me a liar when I said I was seeing $5k+ routine discounts.

Tukk is the "rainmaker" of the dealership - I saw their scoreboard once and he was WAY out in the lead in number of cars sold. He seems to work a crazy number of hours and is the kind of guy who just wants to get the deal done.

That's great that there are finally 2 dealers in Tucson. Good to know. By early next year I'll be living in Hereford, about 80 miles to the southeast, in the middle of nowhere - Tucson will be my nearest major city for just about everything. I have always had good experiences with Chapman BMW & VW in Chandler/Scottsdale, but have heard bad things about Chapman in Tucson in the past.

At this point, I'd wait for an '18. Yes, the discounts will probably be minimal at first, but that won't last. Once the '17's are cleared, they'll have to start discounting '18's to move them.